Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
icemans

T60 Battery failure

[ Edited ]

Hi guys. I have a problem. I have laptop T60 with original battery. The last night everythins was OK - the condition in Power manager was GOOD, charging cycle - 145. But today I cannot ude my battery - the battery indicator just blinking and when I tried to use  laptop on the battery - it doesn't work. Power manager says - Condition - Poor, Remaining capacity - 80% - is it possible?!? Is it possible the battery goes down for one night?!? I tried other battery and the laptop works fine. I wrote several topics but didn't find any solution for my problem. Do I have to buy a new battery or it's possible the problem to be sofware?! And the last - sorry for my english. Thank you in advance :smileywink:

Ron_9972
Topics: 18
Kudos: 66
Solutions: 37

Re: T60 Battery failure

It sounds like you need to reset the battery.  Here are instructions:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/R-L-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/How-to-reset-the-battery-using-the-Thinkvant...

Let us know if the battery works after resetting.

Did you find a post awesome? A great response? Kudo them!
Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a 'thank you' for helping you out!

Paper Tape
icemans

I did it before 2 days. Now it's not possible! I forgot to mention that westerday I mark in "Charge thresholds" - "Optimize for mattery lifespan" opiton. Could this be the problem?

Ron_9972

[ Edited ]

The battery gauge reset takes several hours. Did you use the computer during this time?

I don't think those you marked  would affect it.  You could also try updating BIOS.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-67988

Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a 'thank you' for helping you out!

Paper Tape
icemans

Yes, I did it - I unmarked but no result. Now I test the battery on the other laptop - but the problem is the same.

Ron_9972

If it doesn't work in another laptop, then you probably need to replace the battery.

Paper Tape
icemans

But Is it possible to go down for just one night?!? Just like that?!? Yesterday the condition was GOOD, today it is Poor?!? I think there is a problem with a battery controler. And the battery's countdown cycles was on 140 cycles only

Ron_9972

Yes, it is possible.  It's a hardware issue if it doesn't work in two different laptops.

Paper Tape
icemans

Today I tried to measured the battery and there is voltage between 10.4 to 11.00 volts. But when I attach some load and the voltage goes down to 0 volts.

Guru
hausman

icemans wrote:

But Is it possible to go down for just one night?!? Just like that?!? 

Yes. I've had it happen to me. It wasn't overnight but a few days after I'd last used it. As I understand it the problem arises because one or more cells inside the battery short out. This can't be repaired. There are places that claim they can "refurbish" notebook batteries but I've never heard of any with consistently good results.

But look at it another way. You have a "T60 with original battery." These batteries are under a 1-year warranty even when the notebook itself came with a 3-yr warranty for a good reason. That's because they deteriorate slowly and thus they're considered expendable, like the battery and tires on your car.

Your T60 must now be at least 3 years old. You got good use from your battery. As frustrating as it may be to see the battery die suddenly and for no apparent reason, it really did give you a good run for its money.