Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
ktyang88

T60 Bluetooth won't find Plantronics Voyager 510

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me configure my T60p laptop so that it will find my Plantronics Voyager 510 Bluetooth headset.
Here are the facts:

1.  I used the Lenovo troubleshooting guide and updated (1) the system BIOS; and (2) reinstalled all of the Bluetooth Drivers.
2.  My T60p can find and pair with my bluetooth cell phone.
3.  My bluetooth cell phone can find and pair with my Plantronics headset.

However my T60p can not find my Plantronics headset.  Of course when I did this test only the bluetooth devices being used was on.  In addition, I am using Windows XP SP2 - Bluetooth Devices under Device Manager reports Bluetooth Bus Enumerator and ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate as the devices.

I also called Plantronics, and they confirmed that the Voyater 510 is BT v.2 and requires either the Handsfree or Headset profiles.  According to My Blueetooth Places, the "My Headset" is configured for Automatic Startup.

Any help to get the T60p paired with the Plantronics would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Stumped BT User.
802.11n
icantux

Re: T60 Bluetooth won't find Plantronics Voyager 510

[ Edited ]
I have the same headset (it's great) and never encountered issues hooking the thing up to my machine. Is it possible that the phone still has bluetooth powered on? The 510 won't pair with two devices simultaneously.

Put the 510 in pairing mode first (pressing both "volume up" button and the "end call" button (on the boom) - wait for the lights to flash red/blue) then start the bluetooth procedure on the computer (pair with device). It should find it. Press "0000" as a passcode.

Unless you don't have the bluetooth drivers installed from Lenovo. If you are using the MS stock driver (XP or Vista), then you're running a greater chance that the computer won't pair up with the device. However, it seems, as you mention that you do have the Lenovo Bluetooth drivers installed.

In that case, open "My bluetooth places" (or something of the sort) on the desktop (double-click it) then click on the "discovery" tab.
- Make sure the "Report all Bluetooth Devices" is selected in the drop-down menu and if you wish, check the box "Look for other Bluetooth devices" as well.
- Then go to the "Client Applications" tab and make sure that "Audio Gateway", Bluetooth Serial Port", "Headset" are all marked as "required".
- then hit "Local Services" tab, select "Headset" and click "Properties". Enable (check) "Startup Automatically" and "Secure Connection".

Then try the pairing once again. (you may have to reboot - it's XP we're dealing with afterall).

Hope this helps

Message Edited by icantux on 04-28-2008 08:19 PM
Paper Tape
ktyang88

I made sure that the phone was off and that the 510 was in pairing mode when I tried to use the My Bluetooth Places to find the 510.  No luck so far.

I did make sure that only the Lenovo Bluetooth drivers were installed.  I even checked the MSKB to disable the loading of the generic MS BT drivers, but alias no luck...

Does anyone have an other advice....

Thanks.
802.11n
icantux

Out of curiosity, do you have an anti-virus or some other such software on your machine (active, that is)?
If so, disable AV, Super anti-spam stuff, whatever else you have running in the background as well, then try to connect the headset again - see if that works. (If you're worried about getting some bug off the net, then just disconnect the LAN cable or turn off wifi).

Paper Tape
ktyang88

Thanks to icantux I have resolved my issue.  Apparently my 510 was not going into "pairing mode." 

I had to turn the 510 off, turn it back on, and then force it to go into pairing mode by holding down the +volume and "call buttons."  Once it was forced into pairing mode, the T60 could see it.

The 510 and T60 are now happily paired (at least I am happy)!

802.11n
icantux

Sweet! Glad it worked out. :smileyhappy:

The 510 is a nice BT headset - and it will work very well coupled with your T60!
Fanfold Paper
BPMcDowell

This is all wonderful and very useful - except that I have a T42p and the best Bluetooth stack posted for the T42p is from 2004 for XP SP1.

I'm trying to use the very same Voyager 510. Based on a Skype thread, I've obtained a Toshiba Bluetooth stack, disabled the MS stack, installed the Toshiba stack, and voila! the 510 works perfectly. But - big BUT - the Toshiba stack has a 30-day expiration on, and I can't for the life of me figure out where to buy the silly thing. I'm disinclined to uninstall and reinstall it every 30 days. The existing MS stack is useless and MS doesn't appear to have replaced it.

Will a T60-compatible stack work on the T42p? If so, I'll go download that and be very happy!
Paper Tape
ktyang88

Oh... I don't know if you will be able to do that.  Some of the packages do check, but since this is a software stack it may work.  However prior to trying, I would suggest that you take a ghost snap shot of your T42 as System Restore is not reliable in case the T60 stack causes the blue screen of death on the T42.  :smileyvery-happy:
Fanfold Paper
BPMcDowell

Well, there's a good reason to buy a copy of BlueSoliel instead... I'd still prefer a Lenovo supported free solution - the laptop is still under warranty for another month, after all - but I'll go third-party if I need to.