Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
cshorey

T60 Display goes off after about 5 minutes

When using the integrated LCD display it blinks off after about 5 to 10 minutes. 

A work around to get the it to work again is to close the lid (I have it set to do nothing) wait like 5 minutes and open it back up.  When I reopen the lid the display looks very very red then slowly comes back to normal colors. 

I don't fee any hot spots.  When this first happened I heard a hissing sound until the display shutoff.  I haven't see this happen since.

Regardless this has forced my system to a desk and its no longer mobile.

Is there an obvious issue, or failing part I can replace?

chris

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

Re: T60 Display goes off after about 5 minutes

Welcome to the forum!

CCFL (backlight) in your LCD is failing, reddish hue is a dead giveaway for that issue.

While you can replace the backlight itself, it's a difficult process and your best bet is to replace the entire LCD.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
What's DOS?
cshorey

Thanks Ajkula66,

Is their part numbers for the backlight and LCD for the T60's.  I would be interested in getting the part so that I can update my notebook.

thanks,

chris

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

There is no part for the backlight, since these were not meant to be user replaceable. You can get them on eBay or from outfit called Moniserv, but you'll need an extremely clean (as in hospital-standard-no-dust) room, very steady hands and a lot of luck...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.