Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Ib_ch
Accepted Solution

T60 VGA port not displaying to external device

I have a problem on my T60.  I have used the VGA port very little, and just started to connect it to a 17" Dell LCD at work. After two days, it just suddenly decided not to project, but it still can detect an attached external monitor. The external monitor just says entering power save mode. Tried every software solution I can think, including replacing OS, video driver, wireless driver, running all kinds of lenovo tests. What's going on?

Is it something I can repair on the motherboard? Or is it not that bad? Any advice would be appreciated.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: T60 VGA port not displaying to external device

[ Edited ]

Some of the T60 do have a higher frequency of VGA failure.

Did you try the laptop with other external LCD?

Also did you try a new VGA cable?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Ib_ch

Hello lead,

Its sad to hear its a more common issue than I thought. Yes, I have tried it with three other external LCDs, they work with other devices but not  with my laptop. I also changed the VGA cable with a new one. 

How can I solve this, excluding a new motherboard because everything else is working great. I have a ATI x1300 video card on board, and the T60 model is 2008BG4 

lead_org

you may get away with the problem by using the vga or dvi port on the advanced mini dock (which is pretty cheap on ebay around 40 to 50 USD).

or get a usb2dvi or usb2vga adapter.
Regards,

Jin Li

Bit Torrent
TuuS

I just bought two of the docking stations for less then $30 shipped, and they even have keys. You might even find them cheaper, there are lots of this stuff being returned from corporate customers that end up on sites like ebay.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Ib_ch

Thank you guys.

I am interested in the mini dock idea, infact I love it. Will the minidock VGA work if the problem is in the motherboard?

lead_org

if it is the GPU issue then the vga won't work, but most frequently the vga problem is in the vga port connection itself and not a GPU problem.
Regards,

Jin Li

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Ib_ch

Thanks for all the help guys. You have a good day, Lead. I will update if my problem gets solved.

lead_org

thanks ib_ch, waiting for the good news.
Regards,

Jin Li

Paper Tape
zdrapkozdrafkov

Hi all
I  solve the problem, maybe it will be helpfull for smoebody. I had the same situation - external VGA port die after connecting external monitor.
Cause of that is broken demultiplexer (swiching circuit between VGA port in laptop and docking station) in RGB line. Here is electrical schematic of R60:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/drive/share?ie=UTF8&s=OWTe8nZzSFsgrc2-nmofFI

The broken integrated circuit is NC7SB3157 (6-pin SMD demultiplexer) marked on schematic as U14, U40, U50 (page 72). There are 3 of them for each color line RGB. In my case there was a short circuit between pin 1 (output for VGA port in lapotop) and ground. The solution is to replace it  (all 3 IC) or remove them and short connect pin 4 with pin 1 (then you will be not allow to use port in docking station anymore).

WARNING to get to this IC you need disassembly all computer and you need precicion soldering for SMD circuits.

sorry for my english
best regards - pozdro sześćset