Support in other languages: 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: T60 battery suddenly failed

There is a chance that the motherboard's power management circuitry is causing the error on the battery, through short circuits maybe... i am not too sure... i have seen this problem crawling up once or twice.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
Vpsnap

I had two X60 batteries 'die' within a day of each other and give the same error.

"A battery error has occurred. The battery cannot be charged. Replace the battery."

The 1st one would not suddenly charge yesterday (although it had 70% capacity and was lasting 3+ hrs) and was unusable as per Lenovo, so i used the 2nd one and that also is now refusing to charge and gives the same error.

How is this a battery problem?. Surely it is a X60 hardware problem spiking and killing my batteries and Lenovo wants me to conitnue buying a new one?

Paper Tape
xtdv

I think new charger designed may be a problem.

I have one T60 with dead battry, when I un-plug and re-plug charger in a short time (such as plug charger in a low-quality AC outlet), my computer appear dead blue screen.

ThinkPad T420s
Ctrl-Alt-Del
xjessie007

I had a similar issue when I purchased T61 about a year ago for my friend. The laptop would boot up and then it would give me some weird message about battery and that it can't use it. When I booted without battery just plugged in, it went ok. Getting a new battery solved my prob. Looks like you might have really bad luck. :\

Forget not about the Schengen visa travel document

Retired Guru
rbell

It looks like Lenovo may be acknowledging this issue and offering a replacement battery for some people:

News story: 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10310369-92.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Direct link to Lenovo page:

http://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/batt/082009/LandingPage.html

Rob

JaneL

rbell wrote:

It looks like Lenovo may be acknowledging this issue and offering a replacement battery for some people:

News story: 

Also see Mark's message at NEW Battery Tip - Applicable for some T, X, R models and batteries

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Retired Guru
rbell

Thanks Jane.  I've been on vacation for a while and haven't been reading the forum much so I hadn't noticed that.

Rob

Paper Tape
ThinkPadR60

[ Edited ]

I have similar problem with my R60, battery FRU P/N 92P113, no one from Lenovo wants to replace (tipical error was after 14 months from buying date)

I have buy new  9-Cell battery FRU 42T4511, and pay much for it, I see now people have troubles with this model to...if anything goes wrong with this battery I never ever buy anything with Lenovo logo.

http://i31.tinypic.com/11v64w8.jpg

Message Edited by ThinkPadR60 on 08-17-2009 04:26 AM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Singtoh

Hello all,

Same problem with my battery. Just recently, my mainboard packed it in on a T61 only 2 years old. It is still under warranty luckily. After they replaced the mainboard and I powered up the computer, my battery was dead. The day before the mainboard packed up, my battery was fine and fully charged and in good condition. Since I always use A/C power and very rarely use battery, it is not too big of a problem, but this battery only has 57 cycles on it and it is unfortunate that it is not covered in the recall. This is really not rite for these batteries to be fine one day and crap the next. The manufacturer is Sanyo and as everyone knows these things are expensive to replace. With very few cycles on this battery and only two years old, I would have expected to get a lot more mileage from this battery.

My two cents, I guess

Regards,

Singtoh

7663-A22,T61 14.1 Wide,T7300 2.0gig processor, 4 gig RAM, 500gig Seagate Hybrid HDD, 200gig Ultra Bay HDD, Ubuntu 64 Bit.
Serial Port
mludwig

[ Edited ]

Well, I have an R61, but experiencing the same issue here. Battery error and 42T5233 not eligible for replacement. It's only 1.5 years old. My good old Acer worked for 3 years. Granted that it only got 1.5 hours of charge in the 3rd year, but at least it worked.