Support in other languages: 
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Re: Battery Error T60

If your 18 months recall warranty is over, don't think you will have luck on returning it.
Paper Tape
Jon_Karak

Re: T60 battery suddenly failed

It is obvious that there is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that the problem with Lenovo batteries is effecting more than just a small number of customers. I include myself in that situation. I purchased a T61 in August 2007, and my battery failed on September 13, 2008, one month past the 12-month warantee.

Having researched the issue on the Lenovo support website, I have found that all evidence suggests my battery suffers from the problem described on the site http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67765. It states "Internal detection in the battery determined that it was not charging properly and disabled it." However, my FRU part number, 42T5225, does not appear on the list of known part numbers suffering from the issue, so as of this moment, I am not eligible for a replacement.

Below is a screeshot of from my Power Management utility. Notice that my battery is charged to 97% capacity, yet my laptop fails the moment I unplug the power adapter. The error states, "A battery error has occurred. The battery cannot be charged. Replace the battery." You can see that it is virtually identical to the screenshot in the support page.

URL: http://sites.google.com/site/t61evidence/files/battery2.jpg

Given the similarities to the problem that Lenovo has already identified, I would like to petition that my FRU part number be added to the list. How can I do that? When I called the service phone number (800) 426-7378, I was told that the only way to get a replacement was to use the "battery replacement" website. Its like a catch-22!

Bit Torrent
wjli2

which battery cell brands do you have??? Sanyo, Sony or Panasonic.
Fanfold Paper

You can see Panasonic on the picture he posted. Panasonic is the best in my experience.
Bit Torrent
wjli2

his battery probably has a blown fuse, after the exploding and melting battery incidences, many battery makers have put in oversensitive fuses to protect the battery from overdischarging and overcharging... these new fuses are easily set off by variation in the power supplys, which most likely result in these problems that we are seeing right now. Many aftermarket battery are less likely to have these fuse problems, but they is a significant variation in battery cell quality, and it isn't as safe as the brand name Lenovo batteries.
Fanfold Paper

Has anyone tried taking the battery apart and changing that fuse?
Bit Torrent
wjli2

i don't think that is advisable given there is increased risk of overcharging, the amount of money involved is not worth the risk.
Paper Tape
jdsboston

[ Edited ]

hi guys,

just wanted to add another data point in here for future reference from December 2008.  an earlier poster mentioned "sorry to revive an old post" and i want to make very clear that indeed reviving an old post is critically important to the community -- this is clearly just as widespread an issue on these T60s as the batteries that have been recalled and I think that means that they too should be reevaluated for recall. 

we are a thinkpad household for over 12years (~'96) and I don't understand why the batteries of machines I owned in the 90s never croaked like this. battery technology seems to be improving for cell phones (smaller longer talktimes) and degrading for laptops (recent quality issues and high occurrences of degradation after very short periods of time). 

On our laptop, I suppose the fuse mentioned in an earlier post is the culprit as we too just experienced an overnight 100% failure which shows all the symptoms of a design flaw not abuse.

Here are the details:

- T60 purchase direct from IBM with 3yr warranty in June 2007

- As of this post, that means the laptop is about 16 months old

- This laptop is home-bound and does not travel with my fiance.  She usually uses it in our living room or at her home office desk when she is not at work and on the weekends so it gets about 15-20 hours of us/week

- When she got it new, I explained to her the implications of always charging it to 100% or using it on AC power every day on battery longevity so she regularly uses it unplugged and runs it down to low digits before recharging

- All plugs in the house are the grey 20V variety now. 

- As of last week it was holding just over an hour charge.

- As of this morning it is now unable to even sustain the computer when the AC adapter is unplugged

- The computer immediately shuts down when AC power is removed

- It appears that the battery has not only degraded it has blow a fuse and is not capable of even generating current much less "holding a charge"

I wanted to post to this group our experience and ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO FIND THIS THREAD TO DO THE SAME!!!  because it's important that we do as a community log the large number of people who are inconvenienced by these design flaws so they can be fixed.

I also wanted to address the ridiculous post entered by the boards administrator earlier who submitted that geeze what are we to do and likened the situation to automotive parts like tires and the warranties for those.  That's a fairly ridiculous metaphor.  Tires are outside exposed to vicious elements and run on asphalt and ground into the ground.  These batteries like most tech equipment live a bahamian lifestyle by comparison.  This battery on our laptop lived "the life" as we coddledit and were aware of the risks to battery longevity and it still failed. 

Here's what Lenovo service today looks like:

- my fiance calls in to inquire about this problem and is lectured about her warranty not applying to the battery

- knowing this is a flaw not a damage issue she asks to have a manager call her back

- this manager leaves her the most  obnoxious patronizing voicemail explaining batteries aren't covered - no duh guys -we are calling you to alert you of an issue and you respond with policy and protocol.

- where is the old culture of fixing problems and offering customer service to address the clear culpability here

AND

Here's what responsibility going forward looks like:

- The discussion earlier about offering prorated battery warranties by Mark Lenovo was the right way to get after the problem

EXCERPT FROM MARK LENOVO:

Most tires and car batteries come with pro-rated warranties.  If I buy a 72 month battery for my car, and it fails in the first year, typically that is within the period for free replacement, but there after, the warranty is pro-rated, and I, as the customer, pay a % of the replacement on a sliding scale.   The more time I got out of the battery, the more I pay, but even in the 72nd month, I never pay 100% of the price of a new battery.

- Paying a discounted price makes sense.  Not paying full price.  Any other way places the liability on the end consumer to buy that warranty on the battery when the lenovo folks are supposed to be in charge of quality assurance in their products

- I would like to advocate for this suggestion that Lenovo should offer pro-rated replacement pricing

- I will not and do not ever want to have to pay FULL PRICE whenever I have to replace a part that failed before it's designed lifespan had been reached.

- A battery treated properly like this one was should last 3yrs

- Lenovo Customer Support and Marketing Team should be thinking of creative ways to solve customer relationship issues as that's what this is.  You guys are stranding loyal Thinkpad customers with crappy batteries.

- I already paid for a new battery for my fiance back in June 2007 AND

- If I need a new battery after 1 year I expect that Lenovo will take the responsibility for that

- I expect that Lenovo will give me a 2/3 credit on the first battery I bought since it has only lasted 1/3 of it's expected lifespan 

Attention Lenovo Administrator:

- Please copy this post and forward it out the directors of your customer support and marketing team

- I think we all expect a reply on the forum board here and would like an outreach to resolve this problem

- I am not going to waste more of my sunday arguing with your frontline techs about warranty policy

- This is a matter of customer loyalty from lenovo to all of us loyal Thinkpad buyers and you guys better step up

- The thinkpad brand stands for more than a black chassis a nice keyboard and in this era of social networking and discussion boards you can lose 15-20 years of trust and allegiance in just a few months

Take care of the community when you have quality issues and they will what?

They will recommend that others buy Lenovo products

Spurn the community and they will what?

They will find another manufacturer to work with to develop world-class products that understands community development and customer service better than you folks seem to...

Please step up your game folks.  We're not impressed with Lenovo's back end support standards and commitment to quality here in Wash, DC. and I will have a hard look at what the HP and Apple folks are offering next time we buy if you can't support us in getting this lame duck battery replaced at a prorated price for 60-70% off.

/J.D. Sanderson

Message Edited by jdsboston on 12-07-2008 08:38 AM
Message Edited by jdsboston on 12-07-2008 08:38 AM
What's DOS?
Battery-Error

Same here. Purchased T60p Nov. 2007, yesterday all of a sudden the message "Battery cannot be charged. Exchange." (in German). Warranty is over, I had to buy a new battery for 100€ - which potentially gets broken thirteen months from now. My second Lenovo experience after complete harddisk-meltdown.
Punch Card
thinkpadpro

you can try recalibrating it with third party utilities. My 600e battery i bought was supposedly brand new IBM branded. it failed in a week. I recalibrated it, and it works again now! Same with my t30. My battery was not charging and it was pretty f'd up, and had a crazy drop off point between 50% and 3%. BatteryDoubler (shareware) fixed it for me. you could give it a shotl
X41T: Dead from a power surge during a BIOS Flash!