Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
tistro

T60 dies shortly after power-on

Hello,

my T60 (2007) dies shortly after powering on. Quick problem description:

worked fine this morning, was in suspend (ubuntu) with well charged battery. When opening the lid again it suddenly died (power off).

On power-on it the power comes up, the hd starts up (short whirring noise) but before anything else happens the it dies off again. Screen doesn't turn on, nothing.

Tried removing the hd, removed the dvd from the dock, removed battery and power plug completely for  a while, nothing seems to help.

On a side note: when plugged in and powered off the plug-led is lit and the battery led being lit shortly blinks (turn off for an instant) regularly, may be once every 2 seconds.

Does anybody have any ideas, help would be highly appreciated, need to finish some work for Monday :-S

Thanks in advance, all the best,

Thorsten

Paper Tape
tistro

Re: T60 dies shortly after power-on

update:

tested removing the memory, get the one-three-three-one beeps, tested different constellations of ram (exchanged the two ram bars, used either of them in either of the sockets) but as soon as the ram is installed i get the same:

power-on, the fan starts, a second later the fan seems to lose power and slowly stops, another second and the machine dies as if power-plug removed.

removed the keyboard to check the fan, but even though it was quite dusty it turns without problems. 

checked all connectors, closed the whole machine, tried again, but all to no avail. :-S

the manual seems to indicate "System board" problems. 

does anybody have a clue if I can test that (to make sure it's not one of the two ram dimms, since installing them only gets the machine as far as failing)?

any help would be highly appreciated :smileyhappy:

best,

Thorsten

Paper Tape
chrisimpact

Hey mate, I'm having a similar issue, not tried any alternative RAM yet, but not too hopeful it is gonna work anyway. 

When/how did this problem start for you? What were you doing immediately before?

I'll update again when I have tried with some more ram .. if you could let me know how your getting on too, that would be great.

Cheers, Chris

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

or it could be the ram that failed, can you borrow someone else's ram modules to test it out?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
chrisimpact

In my case, I had just replaced my broken LCD screen, I had plugged it all in and turned it on and all was well, so I started to re-assemble the laptop, the next time I tried to turn it on which was when it was around 75% back together, it did this switch off straight away thing - I wondered if I had possibly reconnected something wrong, however disconnecting everything now, including the screen, nothing helps - the fan still spins and then stops, so I can tell the same thing is occuring even without the lcd invertor lights to help.

Have to wait until Tuesday for new memory, gonna drive me crazy waiting til then .. if anybody has any ideas what could have happened, I'd be real grateful.

Paper Tape
tistro

I didn't find the bug so far. Bought a new notebook and gave the old one to somebody more competent. It apparently currently is on the way to the service center to find out it it makes sense to repair it (it /is/ after all, still a very good laptop... :-/ ). Will post back with news..

Best,

Thorsten