Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
rbulto
Accepted Solution

T60 freezes when moving trackpoint right after boot

Hello,

I have been experiencing this issue for quite a long time. Initially I thought it was due to an update for Windows XP, but I couldn't find any message on the logs when the laptop hangs. I re-installed XP several times to discard any software-related incompatibility, but even with a fresh install it was happening.

I recently realized after several tests that the problem occurred more frequently when moving the mouse (trackpoint or touchpad) right after system boot (either cold boot or boot from hibernation). What I found out is that it will no longer happen if I suspend the laptop after the system has started, not touching the mouse.

The symptoms are that Windows freezes. No HD activity at all, system doesn't respond to any mouse/keyboard input. If I close the laptop cover the system doesn't hibernate. The only way to resume normal operation is pressing the power off button for a few seconds, so the system turns off, then turn on normally.

All drivers are up to date.

Has anyone experience this issue?

Thanks

Paper Tape
d3v1us

Re: T60 freezes when moving trackpoint right after boot

Yes, I'm having the same problem on my T60--the less I use the trackpoint, the longer I have until the system freezes.  It's OS-independent too (I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 and XP).

What's DOS?
drifter2won

I'm having the same trouble.  It start on January 1st of 2009 for me.  After reinstalling  windows XP and Vista, the issue still persists.  My computer will freeze a few seconds after using the trackpoint or mousepad.     Any ideas on what's wrong?
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Hi guys,

I searched around a bit, and unfortunately while many people report similar trouble with their ThinkPads freezing when they use the TrackPoint and/or touch pad, there's no obvious single cause or fix. Here are some things you could try. There are reports of success and failure with each, so there is no guarantee they'll work for you. But perhaps worth a try:

1. It might be a hardware problem. Certainly d3v1us's report of having the same trouble in Linux is cause to suspect this. In this post, one member reports that the problem was solved after replacing the keyboard and palm rest. If your system is still under warranty, it's probably a good idea to call Lenovo service and describe the trouble. Note: in the same thread, another user reports that replacing the keyboard and palm rest did NOT cure the problem, so like I wrote above, there's no guarantee.

2. If you wait 30-60 seconds, does your ThinkPad start responding to user input again? Some report that the freeze is "only" temporary. (Still not right, I know, but it beats forcing your machine to power off.)

3. Update to the latest BIOS for your ThinkPad if you haven't already.

4. Update to the latest Intel Matrix storage driver for your system. (ref)

5. Update to the latest Power Manager software. (thread)

6. Try setting SATA to "compatibility mode" from BIOS Setup (F1 at power on).

7. Turn off, or completely un-install the hard drive active protection.

8. Un-install the UltraNav software (2 programs: driver and utility) and just run with the Windows mouse driver for awhile to see if freezes stop. (post)

9. Completely remove then re-install the video driver. (thread)

Good luck, and please let us know what works or doesn't work for you. When you report problems or success, please include your machine type and model number, 7 digits XXXX-YYY from the label on the bottom, or the main BIOS setup screen when you press F1 at boot. Please do NOT post your serial number. Please also include the OS you are running.

Cheers,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
What's DOS?
Bumpus

I get this problem now after reinstalling windows on my friends T60 2007 68U. 

For me it seems that if I let it set for a while it is less likely to freeze.  If it gets past the minute or two after boot, it won't freeze and works fine as if it only freezes when the machine is literally cold.

I tried going through and doing all of the suggested fixes but am still getting the freeze.  My next step is to take the old drivers off my friends working T60 and see if that works.  I'll post back if I have any luck.

What's DOS?
drifter2won

After my last post.  What I did was use a infrared mouse instead, rather than use the touchpad/point and have it freeze on me.  After 1 or 2 weeks, the issue stopped and my system doesn't freeze when using the trackpoint or the touchpad.   I don't know what I happen, but it doesn't occur anymore for.  

BTW i did have a friend install Window Vista for me from the XP.  Not sure if this info helps you, but good luck.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
rbulto

Hi,

It has been a long time where I haven't experienced the issue, but it started to happen again.

As far as I know, nothing has been changed on Lenovo drivers or Windows updates for this problem to start happening again.

This is driving me crazy! lol

What's DOS?
Booga

Same issue here,  T60 Type 2007-FXG, installing Windows 7 and touching trackpad after 15 s freezes on the same installation(booting from CD), so this is only hardware... am i right?

What's DOS?
greentech

Try to remove your battery... If battery is dead it might give you this problem...

What's DOS?
Booga

Trying that....