Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Booga

Re: T60 freezes when moving trackpoint right after boot

Oh-My-God! :smileyvery-happy: You're the man!!

What's DOS?
happyspring

Hi Booga,

Did you resolve the freeze problem by this way?

HA

Ctrl-Alt-Del
rbulto

As per your suggestion, I can confirm that the problem only happens when my dead battery is in; it doesn't happen if I remove the battery from the laptop. I can't tell if the problem happens with a working battery inserted because I don't have one to try with.

Thank you very much!

Does anyone know if IBM is reading and monitoring this forum, so they get this issue fixed on a future release of the BIOS, power management drivers or whatever is causing this?

Regards,

Ramon

Paper Tape
smowton

Here's a potentially interesting, perhaps related crash:

My ThinkPad crashes in a similar way to the OP's description, usually whilst using the TrackPoint thing. It results in a hard lockup from which I can only recover by powering off, and here's the odd bit -- when I reboot into WinXP, it won't come up -- it freezes as the Windows XP logo is "fading in".

Even stranger -- when XP won't come up, neither will Linux! Kernel 2.6.27 freezes between the messages:

tbxface-0596 [00] tb_load_namespace     : ACPI Tables successfully acquired

and
evxfevnt-0091 [00] enable                : Transition to ACPI mode successful

This to me suggests that the freeze is ACPI related, and leaves some state lying around which is sufficiently persistent to survive a reboot, and which chokes both Linux and WinXP's ACPI code (or the BIOS/firmware routine which is supposed to be enabling ACPI).

The cure is to boot WinXP in safe mode. Nothing needs to be done in safe mode; just let it boot, shutdown cleanly and then boot normally. Both XP and Linux will come up. Linux can be booted when the system is "broken" by disabling ACPI, though this of course puts it in UP mode. Such a boot does not fix it like an XP boot.

So, conclusions:

1. The bug itself could be in BIOS/firmware code, or even be a hardware bug, and stores some durable state. It could however be a bug involving the Windows drivers' use of BIOS/firmware code.

2. It's probably related to TrackPoint, as the freeze is *always* during TrackPoint usage (though it could be a conflict between that and another driver).

3. Something about a WinXP safe mode boot resets that bad state, in a way which Linux UP mode doesn't.

What's DOS?
Dan_G

Same problem.  I purchased the system with Vista and had no problems at all for many years.  Shortly after installing Windows 7 RC, intermittently the system with freeze, hang, not move, crash...hard if I use the track pad or track point instead of a USB mouse.  Frequently, the problem persists through a hard restart and the Windows 7 intro animation will freeze when the single red pixel (part of the eventual Windows flag) enters onto the screen.

T60(1953CTO) - Windows 7 only problem.

I'll try the gammut of fixes posted, but I'm not holding my breath.

What's DOS?
Dan_G

After updating the bios and every other update, the computer has been freeze-free (I've even been using the trackpoint more than usual to force the issue).

Paper Tape
crunchor

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem! My windows XP professional with T60 would somehow freeze in windows, somehow suddenly nothing can move, and windows just "freeze" without any error message and cannot move anything. The only way is the hold the power button and reboot it. I don't use battery at home, just use power supply. I don't have a solution to solve it yet, even after I restall windows and everything the problem is happening sometimes, like 1 time per week. Seem like it happens when I use the red dot.

Paper Tape
jblomert

Had the exact same problem and tried the easy fix...removed the battery....and it works fine now....

Paper Tape
crunchor

I don't use the battery with just AC, but problem still happens. I use Ubuntu when I use the trackpoint, then the chance to have freeze is much much slower. When I use Windows XP, I use a USB mouse then problem doesn't happen that much but still happens sometimes.

Paper Tape
LennyT60

[ Edited ]

My T60 has been randomly locking up at bootup for years now. I just crash it and try again, sometimes it takes 5 starts for sucess.

last few days, cant stsrt it at all, locks up every time.

ready to throw out the window.

now ive read this thread, I pulled the battery out, back into the docking station and starts up perfect.

I knew the battery was shot, but didnt think it could be the problem.

I read a few threads on this problem and it seems to happen regardless of OS.

The only question now is; why does bad battery lock up PC?

Now I think about it, it was locking up a lot a couple of years back, about the same time the first battery was dying.............

PS the batteries ive had so far (3) havnt lasted long.