Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
VolvoMatt

T60 went to bed and never woke up

Firstly, I apologize for posting this. I'm sure it's been answered, but I couldn't find exact symptoms searching here.

Machine in question, T60 type 2637-D06

Shut it down last night, as normal. Left plugged in as I usually do.

Woke this morning, the charge and battery lights both on, as usual.

But nothing happens when I push the switch. No other lights, no beeps, nothing. As if the switch is bad (which I understand is a possibility)

If I pull the battery, I still get the A/C light. Same results though. No beeps, no other lights.

If I pull the A/C and install the battery (which has always been fine for 2-3 hours, so I'm ruling out the A/C power supply), no lights at all. And similarly unresponsive.

Tried the button pressing 'trick' thing. No joy.

So of course, apart it came. Pulled system battery and let sit for an hour or so. Back in, no difference.

Pulled memory and tried it. No difference (still no beeps)

My only thoughts as to what could be bad now are:

Bad power switch (is there a way to 'break' it to test it?)

Screen open sensor (could this cause such symptoms, and is there a way to access it and test it?)

bad mother board (in which case, I'll just get another used computer and swap hard drives)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. I have an old Gateway that behaves similarly, so if I could get this working, maybe I could get it working too (long shot).

And, if I do end up just buying another T60, it could be helpful if I have a clue of what bits might still be usable in my broken one as parts for a new one when it breaks down the road...

Thanks

Matt

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

Re: T60 went to bed and never woke up

Welcome to the forum!

If you can borrow another keyboard to test the machine with (any Lenovo-era ThinkPad keyboard should do) that would be a good start.

If a dead board is the culprit, all other parts *should* be fine...that's a pretty sweet machine, FlexView LCD and all...throw in another board (any non-wide T60/p board will work and they're quite inexpensive nowadays) and call it a day...

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

take out the cmos battery and connect the power adapter, if it powers up then it is a keyboard power button issue, if it doesnt then you have some other issues.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
VolvoMatt

Thanks, both of you, for your replies..

No luck with trying to power up sans cmos battery. Will try a different keyboard before I give up (if I can find someone to let me take apart their computer :smileywink:  )

And start shopping.. oh boy! Shopping!

Fanfold Paper
VolvoMatt

Quick follow up for you George.. or whoever can answer..

You say 'any non-wide T60/p board will work'

On ebay, most specify they are for 14" machines... will that work in my 15"? Or is that specification basically just with regards to the frame in which the used ones are mounted? Does the type number have to be similar? Or is that again basically with regards to the case?

I did end up buying another machine complete, but still entertaining the thought of trying to get this one working if I can do it for less than $50 and some time...

Again, Thanks

Matt

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

The boards are the same for 14" and 15" units (standard 4:3) but are different for widescreen (15.4") models.

Any "standard" board will work in your machine.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.