Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
WestnyleFX
Accepted Solution

T61 6460 HD playback

Hello, I have a T61 6460 equipped with t7300 2ghz c2d 2gb ddr2 667 ram 160gb 5400 hdd  windows xp   mpc with klite codec pack  tried both dxva and without (gpu acceleartion)  Quaddro 140nvs..   im playing files off the drive, just small ones from my camera and afew finished videos to test, and it lags... very sad because ive used laptops with lesser specs and had amazing performance.... is this an o/s issue with xp?

I should add this is used unit from ibm canada site works perfectly fine for everything else Ive thrown at it, I dont know if i need to maybe upgrade to Windows 7 or add the 4gb ram, or if the SSD would fix the issue.. If so im probably going to invest into an SSD no problem... Also is Ram speed / amount making a lag issue possibly?

I am trying to play 1080p dslr footage from my t2i. but even the 5-16mbps files in h264 are choppy.. Any help or guidance would help as ive heard people are working with bluray rips which are 3x the bandwidth.... 

The laptop shipped out with the A2 rev on gpu... dont know how ot tell the date  G86M  i have to say though this one works amazing even came with a 6 month instead of 3 month warranty, So id like to think they wouldnt ship out terrible buggy gpu to me.... Id like to be cost effective on my upgrades if thats what are needed....  Thanks in advance!

Guru
hausman

Re: T61 6460 HD playback

I'm currently running Win7 on a T60p (2.2 GHz dual core with discrete ATI video) and have no problems playing HD video. It's been a while since I had WinXP on that system, but I don't recall problems with that either.

I'd suggest you replace K-lite and codec pack with VLC. That package includes both a player plus all the codecs you'll ever need.

While 2GB RAM should be enough with WinXP, you might consider upgrading to 4GB or at least playing files with little or nothing else running.

You might also want to run Windows Task Manager to see what resources, CPU, memory, disk I/O, etc. are being consumed while playing videos. That will give you further insights into what's causing the lags.

TuuS

I think your system is set to use the wrong codecs. If you selected any options for playing videos during the install of k-lite, that's likely the problem. By default I believe media player classic will use direct show filters, they work great. If you try to use mpc internal filters you'll get this kind of problem. I also wouldn't do any tweeking with nVidia, it isn't necessary to play hd video, and just for referrence, I've played HD video on less of a system with no problem using k-lite and MPC.

VLC (videolan.org) is a good choice too, it uses internal filters so you don't have to remove k-lite to use it, just install it and try it. If it plays fine in VLC, then you'll know your codec settings are the problem.

As for your nVidia chip, don't believe that it has the updated chip just because IBM sold it, most of their refurb computers have the old less reliable chip, and the A2 designation is meaningless, I have a dozen of them here that failed, old and new design all have the A2. If your laptop has an original build date (not a refurb date) of 08/08 or later, then you have the new chip, Otherwise it's just a matter of luck. 

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Fanfold Paper
WestnyleFX

[ Edited ]

Awesome, I upgraded to 4gb / ddr2 800... Got a 60gb Agility 3 ssd... I dont know why Sata 2 isnt working, But i dont want to really tinker with the bios especially since im reading it voids my warranty, Very fast though i must say. And it plays HD1080p. I did upgrade OS to win7 64bit.....

Very odd my old legit 64bit disc wouldnt work, I had to make a Sp1 version of my disc to install the windows 7 x64 clean..

This really sucks about my nvidia chip... :smileysad: Its an IBM refurb was less then 300 tax in. It is 08/03 build date. If it does infact fail, theres alot of gripe on forums maybe they will take care of me, maybe not, I guess for less then 300 I shouldnt really be worrying.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Save all your old parts because an IBM refurb warranty isn't the same as a Lenovo warranty, if your system died, you'd get a different computer to replace it and your new ram and SSD, and whatever else you invested in would be lost.

The last one I bought from them (bought four actually), and one came with bad hinges, but they refused to replace them, or even send me a pair so I could install them...    a $20 part!!!  so I packed them all up and shipped them back. I tend to get attached to a computer and wouldn't want to have to trade it for a completely different computer any time even the most minor problem arises.

On the other hand Lenovo warrany service is great, they usually fix anything and get the system back to you in a few days, or with onsite they come fix it at your locations. What's really ironic is that it's done by IBM   lol

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Fanfold Paper
WestnyleFX

[ Edited ]

Wow... really, Very shady indeed I figured the ibm canada would be reputable.. Also do some of these Pre august 2008 nvidia still working, Id like to think theres just a higher then normal failure rate and not every single motherboards pre august is dead now.

I kept original hd and the original 1gb ram in a bag in my motherboard box just incase aswell.. thanks for all the help i hope to never burn out a chip but who knows with what im reading here..

Guru
hausman

WestnyleFX wrote:

Wow... really, Very shady indeed I figured the ibm canada would be reputable.

Suppose you bought a 2008 used car from a "reputable" dealer. Then you discovered that there was a general problem with that year's model, let's say premature transmission failure. The maker had extended the original warranty to 3 years for that problem. But the used car you bought is now past this warranty. If the transmission in your car should fail in the future would you expect the dealer or the maker to repair it for free?

TuuS

You are correct, millions of these were manufactured and we seem to get reports of failures in the range of 1-5 per month. I believe even after 5+ years less then 1% of nVidia chips have failed, but when it's yours that fails and lenovo wants $600 for a new board, it doesn't seem like a minor problem. They did "step up" and fix thousands of them for free, but obviously that policy had a time limit on it and has expired for well over a year. Hopefully yours will last a long time.

As for IBM refurbished systems, I too thought it would have a warranty similar to a lenovo, but it's not. If you're running a business and you just need a working computer and don't really care what it is, then I guess it will do, but imagine if you do upgrades, replace  your keyboard so it looks nice, even install an upgraded screen and harddrive, then you send it in for warranty and get a different system back with none of your upgrades...    I was just glad I found out about this before the "money back" period expired, so I packed up all four and shipped them back. I also tried to file an official complaint that they wouldn't replace a $20 part for someone that just spent thousands $$$, but all I got was an apology from a PR person. Seems odd that they fix these things all over the planet every day, but couldn't even replace my hinges, or even send me the parts...   oh well...   I ended up getting some corporate laptops for much less and in better condition. I didn't get the warranty, but but I saved enough that I could replace anything that fails and still be ahead. 

Anyway, good luck with yours, I don't mean to dishearten your joy of your new system, just wanted you to be aware of my experience and be prepared to put all the old parts back in if you need to send it in for warranty.   

Bit Torrent
TuuS

ps. SATA2 is disabled by the bios. Lenovo first claimed back in 2007 that there was no need for it and that some legacy ultrabay devices may have a problem if it was enabled, so they decided to disable it. This really makes no sense at all as a user selectable switch in the bios would have sufficed and a warning that enabling it could effect certain older devices.

If you do want to enable it, doubling the speed of your harddrive transfers and virtual memory, you can get a bios designed by middleton, a russian engineer that found the place where lenovo disabled it and now we all can enjoy full sata2 support.

Fanfold Paper
WestnyleFX

Middletons Bios Void Warranty Im Guessing?? Ill wait until after 6 months maybe to do that upgrade... It would be nice tho, Agility 3 would run much faster, Took it on a trip to new york from toronto yesterday worked amazing for my video shoot. Plays DSLR footage without a hitch...
Only thing was weird was my x64 sp0 disc wasnt working had to get a sp1 disc for it to recognize with no driver faults.

I am glad to have your advice TuuS If i ever have a moterhboard fail Ill come to you for sure!!!

This bios is safe though right? like no reports of breaking anything...?