Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
quinoa_rex

T61 6465-CTO RAM issues, boot problems, and fan noise

[ Edited ]

Hi all, I have a T61 6465-CTO just over 2 years old that's been experiencing various issues lately. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32-bit.

1) I believe I have a faulty RAM issue -- it came with 2GB installed and recently began behaving erratically, then stopped booting altogether and gave a sequence of system beeps: one beep, pause, four short beeps, pause, one beep, pause, one beep. I couldn't find info on this sequence anywhere and was initially fearful of a system board failure but having taken one of the RAM sticks out, it seems to be booting up fine operating normally. Wondering if this beep sequence is relevant? I ran memtest86+ with both original sticks in and it came back with ~3100 errors, so there's some memory issue somewhere.

2) Frequently, if my laptop is in sleep mode on battery power and the battery dies and I boot it, it will give a BIOS error complaining along the lines of "System security: embedded security hardware tamper detected." I'm under the impression this is the motherboard's security chip complaining -- I'm wondering if this is relevant to my previous issues. Recently I also had an error along the lines of "error: numbers not in ascending order". (I didn't get a chance to write that one down). It only showed up once, thinking it might be indicative of faulty RAM but I'm not sure.

3) My fan is terribly loud and making a rather troubling grinding noise fairly often. It's not running very hot at all. It might just need a good cleaning -- this laptop attracts dust like a pair of fuzzy slippers -- but I'm wondering how high the likelihood is of me breaking the laptop while trying to clean up the fan. It's also a 2-year-old fan and I'm curious as to whether or not I should think about just replacing it or having it replaced.

Any help or thoughts on any or all of these would be immensely appreciated. Thanks!

Maliha

Re: T61 6465-CTO RAM issues, boot problems, and fan noise

Hi and welcome to the forum!

For 1 and 2, I would suggest getting the RAM replaced first, although the HMM points "System security: embedded security hardware tamper detected" to System board but let's just not go there and theorize that new RAM would fix the issue.

Further, the closest beep sequence I could find in the manual is "Three short beeps, pause, three more short beeps, and one short beep.", it points to the "RAM" and "System board", since the memory is less expensive than system board, therefore if I were you; I would first change the memory just to see if that fixes the problem.

For 3, you can find instructions on opening the system in the above linked manual, you can also watch the videos, besides there is a detailed KB on fan cleaning:- http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T60-T61-Fan-Cleaning-Replacement/ta-p/24...

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel