Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
rkrishnan

T61 -7665 not rendering colours properly on screen

[ Edited ]

Hello, 

I have a Lenovo T61 - 7665 with a Nvidia graphics chip which I has been running fine for almost 4 years. Now there seems to be a problem with the laptop screen while rendering colours. There are wierd coloured curved lines ( graphic distortions ), usually pink/purple on the screen, and this is pronounced when the background is coloured (not white).  

I have attached 2 images to show you what is happening. 

Now I have an external display which works perfectly fine with the laptop; and I have this colour issue on both Win7 and Ubuntu. This tells me the drivers/software should be fine. Maybe the issue is with my LCD display or the connector to the display ?

How do I proceed from here ? 

I read through some display issues and people were advised to check the connector for loose contacts. Or replace the LCD.

Do we have tutorial videos on how to access the connector / Change LCDs. Or is my problem entirely different ?

Please help.

Link to image 1

Link to image 2

Moderator note: images larger than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

ajkula66
Kudos: 695
Solutions: 732

Re: T61 -7665 not rendering colours properly on screen

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, the most likely culprit is your GPU. There are two separate outputs from it : digital for the LCD and analog for the VGA, and one can work perfectly while the othe one is shot...

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Paper Tape
rkrishnan

Is there any way I can be reasonably sure the GPU is at fault ?

Do we have some kind of diagnostic tests that can be run ? I remember reading something about PCDoctor for lenovo laptops ? Is this available for the T61.

If the problem is indeed with the GPU, how do I go about replacing it ? Is it user replaceable ?

ajkula66
Kudos: 695
Solutions: 732

rkrishnan wrote:

Is there any way I can be reasonably sure the GPU is at fault ?

Do we have some kind of diagnostic tests that can be run ? I remember reading something about PCDoctor for lenovo laptops ? Is this available for the T61.

If the problem is indeed with the GPU, how do I go about replacing it ? Is it user replaceable ?

PC Doctor was discontinued a while ago.

Try this one:

http://freestone-group.com/video-card-stability-test.htm

Let us know how it comes back.

GPU is not replaceable, you'd have to swap the entire board.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.