Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
philburton

Re: T61 BIOS update - how serious is the "brick" risk?

Tuus,

Thanks for this information.  Before I say anything else, I have to say that my first encounter with computing was on an IBM 7040, with $IBSYS, using punch cards of course. When the school upgraded to a 360/50 and 029 card punches, I thought we were really advanced!

I couldn't locate any info on the middleton BIOS on notebookreview.com until I did this Google search:  site: "notebookreivew.com  middleton"  Then it was obvious that middleton is not a company but a user.

Upgrading to SATA 2 for my SSD sounds like worthy thing to do.  I'll have to read those posts in detail to see how this upgrade works.  Nothing rash. 

I have to say that this thread has been very helpful to me.  Obiously it's the people on the forum who make this good.

Thanks.

Serial Port
philburton

George

THIS is the kind of information I was looking for:  a known good solution.  Other people have pointed out the risk from using a CD. 

I know that for Windows install software, there are procedures to make a USB flash drive bootable.  It may be possible to apply this approach so that instead of booting the system from a CD, I could boot it from a much more reliable USB flash drive.

This will take some research.  WHEN I get to it, I'll post my results. 

Phil

Bit Torrent
TuuS

It won't be as difficult as you think, you can even run the files directly off your harddrive, you just need to boot a 32bit OS, be it The WinPE grapical enviornment, or just a commandline startup disc,it doesn't matter, the main advantage I see in this is you'll be able to confirm your systems not "busy" when the flash begins.  

If you want a more reliable answer as to what boot OS you can use, goto middletons topic and post a question for him. If you use his bios and like it, send the guy a few $ to his paypal, doesn't have to be a lot, if everyone who likesit paid just a dollar or two I'm sure he'd be very happy, and it would be wellearnned.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Paper Tape
bradtb

I presently have a T61 (for wife) with a 100GB Hitachi along with another T61 (for me) with a 500GB Seagate - both running WinXP (SP3).

On the wife's machine  -  my plan is to install a Samsung 830 128GB SSD, then do a clean install of Win 7 64 bit.  The drive is SATA 3, but without doing a Middleton BIOS update, I'd be held to SATA 1 speed to the best of my knowledge.

Will Lenovo ever develop T61 BIOS updates that will work in the Win 64 bit arena and open up SATA 2/3 speeds?

I could do the Middleton update in the present WinXP (32) configuration - then do the above upgrade.

Is there any downside to doing a Middleton BIOS update with regard to future T61 BIOS support from Lenovo?

Are there any other concerns I may not have mentioned ?  Do I appear to be on the right course of action to maximize my T61 performance for a couple years ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide !

>Brad B

Guru
Mornsgrans

T61 is withdrawn since may 2009. Lenovo won't release any T61 driver- or BIOS updates anymore.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Bit Torrent
TuuS

I've installed the middleton bios on over 100 T61/T61p systems and I haven't had any problem at all. The only real risk is if the machine crashes before the update finishes, in which case your computer won't be able to boot, but this risk is equal with any bios you use. I'd recommend installing the bios before you update as long as your current OS is stable. If it's not, then don't do the update imediately after installing your new drive, use the system for a few days and make sure it's stable first.

As far as updates from lenovo, I don't think it's likely, but if there ever was a new bios update from lenovo, it would disable sata2 support, so I wouldn't use it unless it was to fix or enable something important.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Paper Tape
BetaZA

[ Edited ]

Hello , I've updated many bios devices, many, most brands, firstime lenovo..t61p and it's bricked and first brick in years.....I wanted this machine so badly when it was released.... way outta budget..... full power ac plugged in  via iso... out of warranty .... sad south african ... :smileysad: a diy solution would be great

I have pl2303 cable ...tx & Rx has 2 resistors and 2 zener diodes toconect to eeprom chip..... could I recover the bad flash this way...?  the last time I flash a bios was the hot swap method 20 years ago. I have also learnt that there is some security system that works inconjuction with the TP's .... please enlighten me so that I may keep the security integrity and have the machine work ...

ps does that remove battery press power a couple times really work ..?  Ive seen so many variations

I really love this machine and intended to purchase every one I can find ....

oh gurus and oracles of i2c show me the way

Punch Card
bosleyjr

If I download Lenovo's latest T61p BIOS (which I think is v2.30), and create a boot disk to upgrade my bios, will it overwrite the existing bios completely?

What if the bios is bricked - will the system still try to boot from the dvd as a default?

I'm thinking of trying the middleton bios, but I want a road back if it fails.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

bosleyjr wrote:

If I download Lenovo's latest T61p BIOS (which I think is v2.30), and create a boot disk to upgrade my bios, will it overwrite the existing bios completely?

What if the bios is bricked - will the system still try to boot from the dvd as a default?

I'm thinking of trying the middleton bios, but I want a road back if it fails.

The middletion bios is as safe as any, it's 99.99% identical to the lenovo bios and uses the same software to install.

If the update fails and the laptop is bricked, it won't boot at all, the prescribed solution is to replace the system board or you can have the bios chip reburned, but that requires special equipment and isn't cheap. 

I prefer to flash the bios from a 32bit windows OS, but if you want to use the boot disc I would verify the burn at least 2-3 times and make sure the optical drive is working perfectly. 

Punch Card
bosleyjr

I prefer to flash the bios from a 32bit windows OS, but if you want to use the boot disc I would verify the burn at least 2-3 times and make sure the optical drive is working perfectly.

Very useful info.  So if I have an older disk that works (Win7 32), doing a flash from a running system is safer?  What is the advantage of flash from 32?

I'll be carful. Thanks for the warning.