Support in other languages: 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,203
Solutions: 1,278

Re: T61 BLack Screen @ Startup

well maybe this is due to the fact that the part of circuitry used for internal display are used more often, so the increased electrical current causes more material loss in that section of GPU bump material then part responsible for the external monitor.

The best way is to get the post warranty warranty and get that fixed under the post warranty (it would be cheaper than sourcing your own motherboard), as suggested here:

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61p-exhibiting-1-long-and-2-short-beep-a...

FYI, the GPU is integrated on the motherboard, swapping motherboard would not wipe the stuff off the hdd, unless you have some sort of special security measure that automatically wipes hdd when it senses that it is ran in a different machine. But it may involve reactivating the Vista or Windows 7 OS if you have that installed.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
cribfather

Hi there, what you describe is exactly the problem I am having. I was working away quite happily when the screen just faded away.

I hooked up to LCD and can display via VGA perfectly and if I look really hard on my laptop screen I have a very faint image. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Bit Torrent
TuuS

cribfather wrote:

Hi there, what you describe is exactly the problem I am having. I was working away quite happily when the screen just faded away.

I hooked up to LCD and can display via VGA perfectly and if I look really hard on my laptop screen I have a very faint image. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I can't say for sure without seeing and testing your system, but what you describe sounds more like a failed backlight then a GPU problem. Although I've seen the failed GPU present with various symptoms, most severely with the "3 beeps and no post", but it is remotely possible this could be related.

Swapping a known good screen would be the easiest way to determine this, then replace the backlight on your screen if that is where the fault is. Most people don't have a spare screen laying around, so you can either have it properly diagnosed, or you can try replacing the backlight. I usually don't recommend throwing parts at a unit and hoping it fixes is, but without some way of testing, it may be your cheapest option, as the backlight is fairly cheap.  

Good luck

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Paper Tape
con133

@lead_org,

i'm having the same issue where my gpu has crapped out, black screen on startup. i was wondering how the post warranty warranty worked? for the cost of it do they actually replace the motherboard? i just want to confirm that the problem can be resolved under this type of warranty.

can i go to a local dropoff place or would i have to ship it?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,203
Solutions: 1,278

Not sure you are still allowed to purchase these post warranty after more than couple of months after the initial warranty expires.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
tgs
Fanfold Paper
tgs

In my case (documented above) the gpu is the culprit after all. I am considering replacing the motherboard at an unofficial repair shop. As I understand, I have the option to replace it with either a board with dedicated Nvidia GPU, or one with an integrated Intel GPU.

The repair shop claims they need to send the defective board to the manufacturer in exchange for the new board. Is this common practice?

Before spending the money on a new board, is this solution possible without replacing the defective board? :

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/Replacing-or-upgrading-the-graphics-card...

Thanks!

7662-CTO
Bit Torrent
TuuS

Hi,

First of all the board the repair shop would be getting for you isn't "new", it's a used, refurbished or repaired board. It is common for suppliers to charge an additional fee if a repairable part isn't returned. This fact wouldn't concern me as much as the means by which they used to repair the board you're getting. There are many of these boards being sold online that are refurbished, but haven't had the defective GPU replaced. They are either using old design GPU chips that haven't failed, or perhaps even failed ones that have been doctored up to get them to work for a while. There are numorous crazy techniques that can revive a dead gpu, for a few days, weeks, or even months, they never last. These range from baking the board in an oven, ot heating the gpu chip with a heatgun, or even wrapping the laptop up in blankets to force an overheat condition. Unfortunately I know of no way to sort out which suppliers are doing the repairs properly using NEW gpu chips that are properly soldered on good boards that are fully tested. My best advice would be to try and find a good used board that was never repaired. If you can find one from a laptop build on or after august 2008, it will have a redesigned gpu chip and would be unlikely to fail. These are rare, so finding one won't be easy.

If you do deside to go with a refurbished board, I'd consider getting one directly from Lenovo. I'm sure you would never get one that was improperly repaired from official channels. They are a bit costly, but quality is more important then cost on such a delicate repair.

I'd also consider converting to the intel integrated graphics. They aren't as powerful, but they don't fail in this way so are often preferred. The model you have is a 14.1" widescreen which is common with intel graphics so finding such a board shouldn't be difficult.

Good Luck

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
tgs
Fanfold Paper
tgs

[ Edited ]

TuuS,

Tkank you for the informative message. The shop rep. said that they are ordering from lenovo. Could you give an opinion on the replacement prices:

$150 for the intel board

$210 for the nvidia board.

(labor cost is third-world-ish, this is Romania)

Thanks!

7662-CTO
Bit Torrent
TuuS

tgs wrote:

TuuS,

Tkank you for the informative message. The shop rep. said that they are ordering from lenovo. Could you give an opinion on the replacement prices:

$150 for the intel board

$210 for the nvidia board.

(labor cost is third-world-ish, this is Romania)

Thanks!

I can tell you the boards from Lenovo cost about $600 here. Your message isn't clear but I suspect you mean this is the service charge for installing the board?  if so, I don't understand why the nVidia would be higher. If on the otherhand this is the cost of the boards direct from Lenovo, then all I can say is WoW, I wish I could buy them at that price.

tgs
Fanfold Paper
tgs

The price is inclusive: boards from Lenovo, plus service charge... 

On the other hand the official Lenovo service in here charges similarly high prices for parts and labor: a cooler replacement for $200 or so....

7662-CTO