Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
k_a_u67

T61 Battery: Charge dropped from over 2 hours to roughly 2 seconds in one day

I have a Lenovo T61 which I purchased in July of 2008.  Two years later I still have the same battery ( a 9 Cell), I always leave it in the optimize battery life setting and almost always leave the computer pluged in.  This week I used the computer sans the powercord and was getting roughly 2 and a half hours depending on my screen brightness.  The next day I turned on my computer (again sans power cord) and the computer would not turn on not even for one second. So I plugged in the computer.  It now lists the battery as 73% charged but as in poor condition.  My computer will not remain on at all if the cord is removed.  I am well aware that batteries lose power over time, however I find it incrediably suspcious that a battery would have a 2 and a half hour charge one day and then die the next day.  Is there a way reboot the battery?  Or at the very least can someone explain the massive one day detriaton of the battery?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,232
Solutions: 1,317

Re: T61 Battery: Charge dropped from over 2 hours to roughly 2 seconds in one day

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/NEW-Battery-Tip-Applicable-for-some-T-X-...

have you checked this?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
k_a_u67

Re: T61 Battery: Charge dropped from over 2 hours to roughly 2 seconds in one day

[ Edited ]

Yes, my battery is a 42t4530 and was not recalled.  As such Mark_Lenovo always relplies that one must by a new battery.  What Mark never addressed from the posts I have read is: How can a battary go from a near 3 hour charge to 100% dead in less than 24 hours. 

What  I did find was this

Hi,     I had purchased a T61 in May last year. I purchased extra battery to get more juice for my machine (the ones that protrude at the back). I had almost 5-6 hours of backup when the battery was new. I maintain my batteries well and till last week I had 4 hours of backup, but suddenly one morning the battery went dead. The indicator is blinking yellow and battery went from 4 hours to 0 in a single day. I checked with recall program tool, and I am not a part of it, but I am sure that something is wrong with my battery and it is not natural decay of the battery. I have tried unplugging and putting the battery back in. The power manager gives message "A battery error has occured"     Battery Details:  Cycle Time: 157  Bar Code:1ZEA684FVX9  FRU part: 42T4530     Can someone help me on what options do I have? I called up customer care and they said I am out of warranty since April, so they cant do anything. But I am sure going from 4 hours to 0 in 1 day is not natural death of the battery.  

As well as this

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/Battery-Issue-with-T61-Sudden-loss-of-po...

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,232
Solutions: 1,317

the sudden death of battery could be due to the safety circuitry kicking in. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
k_a_u67

That makes sense, but what would have triggered it just age?

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

Not necessarily age-related. A couple of blown cells would most likely trigger the shutdown when discovered by the aforementioned circuitry.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.