Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
marissa07

T61 - Blue screen error message (nv4_disp) - Now computer won't even start!

[ Edited ]

Hi I have a Lenovo T61 (Type: 7662-CTO) Windows XP.

A couple days ago, all of sudden my screen turned in a yellowish hue, started flickering intensely and froze; I had to manually shut it off (by pushing the power button).

Next day, I started my computer and it worked fine until I had the exact same flickering and freezing issue, but this time, the screen didn't turn in a yellowish hue. Once again, I manually shut it off and went to bed.

This morning, however, when I started my computer, my screen went totally blank, though I could hear my computer running. I hooked it up to my TV to see if anything comes up and that's when I got this blue screen of error message.

It says:

================================================================================

Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.

If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

Technical information:

** STOP: 0x000000EA (0x8A4803C8, 0x88FFD500, 0xBA4EFCBC, 0x00000001)

nv4_disp

beginning dump of physical memory

physical memory dump complete.

contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

==================================================================================

It would show this blue screen very briefly and rebooted by itself (without letting me log in windows), so I had to once again manually shut it off.

I thought perhaps cleaning a fan might help, so I opened up my laptop, cleaned the fan, keyboard, palm rest etc and assembled it back together.

When I turned on my computer, now I'm getting NOTHING. Not even a blue screen. Computer would start, but very briefly after (just a few seconds after), it would just shut it off by itself. 

Someone please tell me what's wrong with my computer and if I can revive it at all.

Also, would you recommend me to bring it to the local Lenovo repair center (http://bplocator.lenovo.com/)?

Thanks so much for reading a long message.

andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 681
Solutions: 610

Re: T61 - Blue screen error message (nv4_disp) - Now computer won't even start!

marissa07, welcome to the forum,

marissa07 wrote:

......snip..

================================================================================

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

==================================================================================

Have you tried updating your graphics driver? 

Error message in Windows XP: "STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER"

You can find the latest driver for your system here. Another option would be to run ThinkVantage System Update, which is hopefully on your system, if not you can find it here.

I'm not saying this is the solution or ruling out a hardware problem, (which the flickering suggests), but it's a good place to start :smileywink:

Let us know

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
marissa07

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. 

I'm not sure how I can update my graphics driver or run ThinkVantage System Update when I can't even log into Windows??

Now my computer won't even start (it would attempt to start for a few seconds and then just shut itself off).

Thanks again.

andyP

Can you at least start in safe mode by franticly tapping F8 after the BIOS splash screen dissapears?

Which graphics does your system have, Intel or nVidia? I confess this is sounding like an hardware failure :smileysad:

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
marissa07

[ Edited ]

When I got that blue screen, I did try to tap F8, but all I got was some gibberish symbols (not English) covered entire screen! 

And now, as I mentioned in my previous comment, it won't even start.....

Sigh, do you think I'd have any luck if I bring it to the local repair center, or I'd be better off buying a new laptop? :smileysad:

BTW, Sorry for my ignorance, but where can I locate graphics card? I'm not sure which one I have in my laptop.

Thanks again.

andyP

Judging by the nv4 part of the error message I'm going to say you have an nVidia chip. If you have warranty, or not, it's time to call service.

If you do decide to give your system to service, don't forget to remove the hard drive first - keep your files in your possesion.

Regards

Andy  

PepperonI blog 

Retired Guru
Duck3

marissa07
Graphics "card" cannot be replaced, only whole motherboard.
It does sound like the graphics chipset or related has failed.
If that is the case, it could be quite expensive to repair at a service center. Maybe you can get a firm estimate from someone. A new laptop is a very good alternative if you have no warranty. The T61 can be sold as-is to recoup some money.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
marissa07

Andy, thanks again. My warrany ran out a long time ago - I will try the local repair center to see if they can fix it and how much it'd cost. Thanks again.

Duck 3, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, my husband just examined my computer and said the same thing. Since my warranty ran out, I'd assume the repair would cost a lot (if they can fix it, that is.) So, I will def. entertain the idea of getting a new laptop.

As for selling my T61, do you mean by taking the hard drive out and selling the rest on ebay or something (with bad motherboard still in)?

Thank you.

Retired Guru
Duck3

Yes, eBay, or a local Craigslist, or other online forums.

I think you can even post in the General section of this forum a one time sale offer.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
marissa07

Duck3, thanks again.

Sorry, I'm not good at this sort of thing - when you sell it, do you still include your bad motherboard? Or just sell the rest of GOOD parts?

One thing I'm really curious about is why I got this problem in the first place. After some google search, those who got this blue screen error message seem to have something common - they were playing games on their laptop when it happened. 

For me, I never play game on my laptop - the closest I'd do is watch some video clips and pop in some DVD every now and then.

Thanks again so much.