Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
deejjoy

Re: T61 - Blue screen error message (nv4_disp) - Now computer won't even start!

i have the same model laptop. i would try yr luck with customer service or mark lenovo from here cause the t61 nvidia chip is faulty. i got minds fixed and it's out of warranty. good luck.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
marissa07

[ Edited ]

deejjoy,

Thanks for your reply. 

Wow, you had yours fixed even when it was out of warranty?

How did you "convince" them to fix yours? Did you talk to "Mark Lenovo" online or on the phone?

Thanks in advance.

Paper Tape
alexander267

Hi,

I work as a computer technician on IBM/Lenovo systems so I thought I would try to help out.. First, using another computer, download and burn the Thinkpad diagnostics disc at this link. You will need a ISO burning program like Nero, Roxio, or ImgBurn ( free at http://www.imgburn.com/ )

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67853.html

(select the diagnosic option, and then the ISO file for cds)

Insert the disc into your computer, press the F12 key during startup, select your cd/dvd drive. The diagnostics will load, then press the enter key twice. The computer will run a full set of tests taking about 2 hours and display a set of results at the end.

Look for any failed tests.. Your could have either a corrupt OS, a failing hard drive or failing graphics chip. Let us know what you find, good luck.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
marissa07

[ Edited ]

alexander267, thanks so much for your suggestion. We followed your instruction precisely and let the computer diagnose. Every test it ran turned out "OK", which got us puzzled even more. At that point, my husband was convinced that it was the graphics card that was to blame and somehow was able to start our computer in a safe mode, which was a HUUUUGE success to us already, given that we couldn't even start our computer just yesterday.

As soon as we got into the windows, we downloaded the NVidia update and installed it (many people seem to have find that solve the exact problem), and while we were at it, we downloaded some more updates from Microsoft. At that point, we were still using our external monitor (TV).

After all the update, we decided to turn off the computer, unhook it to TV to see if it could run properly on my laptop screen. To our surprise, my computer wouldn't even start AGAIN! We decided to take the computer apart to see if everything was connected well, as we took it apart and put it back together quite a few times to play around with memory sticks etc to make sure they were not at fault.

Turned out that the tip of the ribbon cable attached to the keyboard was broken! That's why power button couldn't start the computer. :smileysad: Sigh!!!! We must've broken it the last time we put it back together.

Seems like one trouble after another, but oh well.. we just ordered a new keyboard from ebay and when we get it, we will see whether we fixed the problem.

We're cautiously optimistic though! I will update once we get a new keyboard and test my computer.

Thanks everyone so much for your help so far! It really has been great and I can't thank you enough!!!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
marissa07

[ Edited ]

So, I just received a new keyboard and voila! My laptop is back to its working condition!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

All I needed was NVidia upgrade, which was relatively sooo minor! Come to think about it, it makes me quite upset that NVidia did not make any kind of announcement regarding this issue; a lot of frustration / time / sweat / money would've been saved!

One quick question though -- do you think, from now on, I should always check for NVidia website for an update and download it whenever there's a new update?

Anyhow, thanks everyone who chimed in for ideas!!!!!

Retired Guru
Duck3

All that, and it was just the driver? Too simple! Great!
If the driver you have now works, just cruise...
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,252
Solutions: 1,342

marissa07 wrote:

So, I just received a new keyboard and voila! My laptop is back to its working condition!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

All I needed was NVidia upgrade, which was relatively sooo minor! Come to think about it, it makes me quite upset that NVidia did not make any kind of announcement regarding this issue; a lot of frustration / time / sweat / money would've been saved!

One quick question though -- do you think, from now on, I should always check for NVidia website for an update and download it whenever there's a new update?

Anyhow, thanks everyone who chimed in for ideas!!!!!

usually it is better to use Lenovo's official drivers, since they are rigiously tested on Thinkpads to prevent any incompatibility issues that may arise.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
marissa07

Okay, spoke too soon............

Okay, spoke too soon............ :smileysad:

It lasted only for an hour and boom! There we go again.... same flicker/flashing screen, froze, reboot and bam! blue screen with the same error message!

I managed to find an invoice from Lenovo and what do you know? I have a following graphics card: NVIDIA QUADRO NVS 140M

Turns out that there are many threads on this forum from those with the same Nvidia 140M and apparently it's a chipset problem? Some managed to get theirs fixed even after their warranty ran out, but some weren't so lucky. And it looks like some of those who were lucky in the first place to get theirs fixed still had the same problem afterwards.

After reading all these threads and hearing about horror stories about Lenovo customer services, I am VERY reluctunt to even bother to try to contact them. Now I'm thinking I might as well just forget about this, buy a new laptop and sell my old laptop by parts.......

This is just too frustrating.............. :smileysad:

andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: Okay, spoke too soon............

There should be nothing to be reluctant about, people who have problems / difficulties will search for help and maybe land in the forum, as you possibly did. Forums are not representative of the "Big Picture". IBM and Lenovo have always come out at the top, if not then near the top, in customer surveys regarding customer service.

You've also got everything to possibly gain and nothing to lose by contacting support, I honestly don't understand your logic.

my 2 cent

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
marissa07

Re: Okay, spoke too soon............

Andy, thanks for your reply.

My point is that there are quite a few out there who got their laptops fixed and yet still had the same problem even after. Since there is no guarantee that even after I convince the customer service to agree to fix my problem (even though my warranty expired), send in my laptop, get it back and it will work perfectly fine with no problem thereafter, I have very little, if any, incentive to do so. 

I have already missed almost a week of work because of this problem I'm having and just don't think I can afford to go through another week or two "hoping" that my problem will be fixed.

Perhaps I'm a bit too bitter right now because I thought I've taken care of my laptop very well and only after 2.5 years, I had to part with it.