Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
puntible

T61: Downgrading to XP from Vista

Hello,

I have had my Thinkpad T61 since late August and I can't say that I am fully happy with the performance of my machine. I occasionally get lock ups and such, and after searching through these forums I found a fix for it, but just recently after installing new drivers, I got an error saying winload.exe cannot be found, corrupt or lost etc. I somehow managed to extract the files from the Rescue and Recovery that Lenovo offers. I would now like to downgrade my T61 to an XP. I am still getting the winload.exe error, but I can still access BIOS. So can you please tell me what I have to do to go through with this, and what I will lose in the process in terms of Thinkpad software.
Thank you.

Also, should I purchase the Windows XP 64 Bit edition or just regular Home.
Paper Tape
puntible

Re: T61: Downgrading to XP from Vista

I just called Lenovo and they cannot send me the downgrade discs because I only have Vista Home Premium. so my question is, can I just purchase Windows XP Pro/Home and install it on the computer and do a full reformat/install and have everything work?
Thank you
Serial Port
Ballallaz

It will work... I recommend you download all the drivers beforehand and copy to a USB key so you can install them just after the first Windows XP boot.

However, you will lose all capability to restore from the hidden Lenovo partition.... or re-install your OS with all drivers (if you re-install your machine on a regular schedule, this is going to suck...)

I got the restore DVD for XP on T61 from a eBay seller... do not know if this is legal, but that can be a solution.
Now I have a real XP restore partition and R&R/restore/re-install work no problem.

Ballallaz
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Make a set of Vista Recovery discs before you install XP. They may come in handy some day.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Serial Port
Bajpai

Also follow the instructions on the Lenovo site (see following link) regarding the XP downgrade.

They also prompt you to make a image of the existing Vista system, just in case you wish to revert back after some months.

Rescue and recovery partitions are obviously different for XP and Vista.

Sushil
Sushil

[ Edited ]

I just went through the same thing and found this guide really useful:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=188992

I kept the recovery partition intact as I have a CDRW (to avoid shipping delays, ha ha ha) and would need about 10 discs to backup that partition. This way if anything goes wrong I can revert to factory default with less hassle... 

If you don't have the XP discs maybe you know a 'friend from Sweden' who will let you 'borrow' a copy....   :smileywink:

Note from Moderator:  Converted to clickable link.

Message Edited by nonny on 02-14-2008 07:55 AM
Bit Torrent
wjli2

only Vista Business and Ultimate are legally qualified for the downgrade to XP professional, if you are within warranty you could order the XP recovery disks from Lenovo......
billbolton
Topics: 69
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 105

puntible wrote:

Also, should I purchase the Windows XP 64 Bit edition or just regular Home.

If you want to run a 64 bit Windows OS, you will be MUCH better off with Vista x64 that XP x64!

Cheers,

Bill
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
puntible

I appreciate everyone for the help, and currently I am in the process of downgrading.
However, on the Windows XP Pro Setup menu, it asked me what partion I wanted to install my XP on. I clicked on the C drive, but I noticed that there was a smaller D drive with about 6GB's of memory. Hopefully I made the right decision?
andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 712
Solutions: 636

You did :smileyhappy:

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog