Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Tatterdemalion

Re: T61: Fan Noise

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much for replying.

My model is a T61 7664 1GG

The beep was a single long one that occurred when the computer was fully on. It's not a start up beep.

The laptop had been on for a long time - and I had run lots of programs - so I thought it might just be struggling with RAM - maybe due to a software not a hardware issue.

Everything on-screen froze and was inaccessible for a while but then functionality returned and I was able to switch it off

in the proper manner - closing down Windows.

Thanks for telling me what Lenovo do.

I suspected I just had a DIRTY fan rather than a broken part.

You have mentioned removing my hard drive before leaving my computer with Lenovo's chosen Service Depot.

That would require me opening the laptop - which I have never done and I'd have to be confident and competent enough to

take it out AND manage to get it back in later.

If I am opening it anyway, perhaps I could clean it myself.

I have seen the video for gaining access to the machine's internals.

Are there any videos showing how to clean the fan ? Is it really important not to TOUCH anything ? Are you meant to

just aim compressed air at the dust ?

My main reason for wanting to keep this laptop alive is that it runs Windows XP and I ****need**** that to run my favourite

legacy software titles. Is it still possible to buy a Lenovo (or any other laptop) with Windows XP ?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

There is no video from Lenovo that shows you how to clean the fan. Lenovo depot would change out the heatsink for a new one, if your heatsink/fan is clogged with dusts.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
Tatterdemalion

Thank you for replying.

I have a Returns Form from Lenovo now. It seems to indicate that for a full repair I should have my hard drive in the machine and provide my access passwords.

Is that really necessary to deal with a fan ? I'm also going to mention the bleep that happened yesterday and ask about the washed out colours.

I thought that they would be able to test RAM, Fans, The Motherboard and the screen with a hard drive of their own and WOULD really prefer to keep mine at home.

It also says NOT to use the original computer box to send it. I WAS going to use that...

lead_org

the beeps and washed out colours most likely to be a gpu problem.

you can keep the ram and hdd, and send the laptop to the depot without these components.

Fan is not a CRU, so the fan/heatsink should not be removed by the users.

My advice for you is to send the laptop in before the warranty ends.
Regards,

Jin Li

Paper Tape
bosjt

I'd like to order a replacement fan also... do you have any tips on how to find the correct model/supplier?
Lenovo T61 (7661-12U) Windows 7 32- bit
lead_org

there are two to choose from:

Toshiba 42W2460
Furukawa 44C0825

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67911
Regards,

Jin Li

Blue Screen Again
DangerMole

We have a T61, but not the same type as the OP has, but it's also making fan noise. Ours is a 6463-4YU. Advice needed! The situation:

It's a second-hand machine purchased a few weeks ago from a reputable reseller. My husband has begun set-up but has not yet installed routine software like word processors. He's had it running for about 45 minutes and the fan is loud. It sounds like static coming from a speaker when a radio is between stations, but loud. He hasn't yet been able to find out what the fan does when one is using something like a word processor or image processor. (Life has been happening in a big way.)

He knew the T61s had some fan issues and was assuming that a fan replacement would be an option. However, reading further about fan noises in T61s, we see they come from various causes, and a fan replacement is the right solution in some cases, but a firmware change or some such is the right solution in other cases.

So here's the question. We are trying to figure out whether to keep this laptop or to return it while we still have time.

1. Does the "loud static" fan noise alone already tell us it needs a new fan?

2. Do we need more info about fan behavior before we can know if the fan needs to be replaced, and if so, what's the minimum software installation and use test we can run to find out what we need to know? (We're hoping to avoid spending hours installing everything before we even start further testing.)

3. Does a refurbisher's warranty cover the "loud static" fan noise problem, or any fan noise problems?

4. Does our laptop sound like a "return this while you still have time" (5 days), or a "test further and then decide," or a "don't worry, your investment is safe, because if you do have a fan issue your warranty will cover it anyway," or a "keep the laptop and replace the fan yourself" situation?

5. If we do need a new fan, is the advice the same as for the other poster--Toshiba 42W2460 or Furukawa 44C0825?

Advice much appreciated! Thank you very much.

lead_org

[ Edited ]

1. Download TPfancontrol and test the fan using differen speed, this will tell you whether your fan is at fault.

2. Follow step 1 and you will find out. Basically if the fan noise increases with the increasing RPM, then yes your fan needs to be replaced.

3. Well that depends on whom is your refurisher and what their warranty term is. You would need to contact the refurbisher to find out.

4. Hum, well if it is just the fan and the refurbisher is willing to fix the issue then it maybe okay to keep the machine, since this unit uses the intel integrated gpu. Also how much did you get the unit for?

5. 42W2823 that is the fan/heatsink part number that you need, as according to the hardware manual.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68229

Regards,

Jin Li

Blue Screen Again
DangerMole

Thanks! The company we bought it from will replace the unit. They had me call the refurbisher that had supplied them with the unit. I described the sound and darkly intimated that they could step through the problem with me on the phone if they wanted. But that I wasn't all that technical. I hadn't meant this as a threat, but maybe it came across as one! The refurbisher said to tell the reseller that they will be replacing the unit. They said the fan s/ not be making a radio static noise and that they don't expect the next unit we get from them to have this problem.

Thank you for all the help. Now we'll see if in fact the next one is okay (which could just be THIS one--refurbished right this time). But they will be better at fixing the problem than we would be . . .

lead_org

the fan are usually fairly reliable, so this is more than likely an one off event.
Regards,

Jin Li