Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
judib

T61 Freezes Up several times a day!

My T61 is about 18 months old.  Running Windows XP Pro SP3, 2GB memory, appx 30% of hard drive space unused.  I use ESET Smart Security for my AV and always keep it up to date 

My Lenovo has always been very reliable.  A couple of weeks ago I noticed it becoming sluggish in responding to some programs, but then about 10 days it began to totally freeze up.  Generally, I'm ABLE TO MOVE THE CURSOR, but nothing is clickable.  I cannot shut down my computer any other way than to press the power on/off button....ctrl-alt-del does not work at all.   At first I thought the lockup had to do with a specific program, but it became evident very shortly that this was not a specific program issue....it appears to happen randomly...on or off the web..  I've tried a number of things:  updated the bios, increased my virtual memory, I've defragged my computer, run virus scans (which have all come up clean); I've run chkdsk which didn't seem to identify any issues. 

HELP????? 

WWAN
mixz1

Re: T61 Freezes Up several times a day!

First guess is that it's a software issue. When you freeze do you still have keyboard? Can you bring up Task Manager with Control+Shift+Escape and see memory use? The symptom is typical of high memory consumption.

Next step is to clean out all your temp files and cookies. You may have several things stored there that are " calling home" and consuming lots of CPU cycles. A safe way to do this is to get a copy of Ccleaner at http://www.ccleaner.com. It's free. Do a pass using its default settings and see if that helps.

Also, do you recall installing any new programs or updates around the time you started having the problem? 

Let the board know. If none of this points to a resolution, we'll start chasing hardware. Good luck.

T520 4239-CTO
T61/p 6459-CTO (Gone but not forgotten)
A31/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
A30/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
TP600 Win 2K 288 mb memory
701C Win 98 Don't ask
What's DOS?
pegz

My T61 is about 26 months old and also is freezing up. I believe we had a virus and we took it to a technician who did a lot of things but has not fixed the problem. I'd like to now wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall the OS. However, I don't have the original installation disks, and when I try to create rescue and recovery disks, the computer freezes. My warranty is expired and support tells me that as of 2 months ago, you can no longer get the OS disks for out of warranty computers.

Please tell me, what are my options?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,252
Solutions: 1,342

you can probably buy a set from marketplace on forum.thinkpads.com, if there is no one selling them, then just post a want to buy notice on it, i am sure someone would sell one to you at a reasonable cost.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
judib

During the couple of weeks I've bene trying to trouble shoot this, I had run chkdisk (found no issues) and Ccleaner (don't recall whether it found errors or not...but if it did, I let it correct them, but the issue persisted).  When the computer freezes up, the keyboard doesn't function at all...no ctrl-alt-del capability to check memory usage.  While I'm generally using the computer though and do check memory, there seems to be a good amount of memory available (in the google searches I had run in attempts to resolve this issue, I noticed that insufficient memory was often cited as the reason, so I've been checking that).

My latest effort has been download Registry Mechanic from PCTools (seemed to be highly recommended at C/Net) and run it.  It did find numerous errors and I let it correct them. After rebooting I have thus far not had a freeze.  For the past week, each morning when I wake-up my computer it's had to be rebooted because the screensaver freezes as soon as I try to move my cursor to get things moving.  I'll be curious to see whether the same thing happens tomorrow morning.  To the person who has had the same issue, I'll post if things seem to be working properly again....I will say that I've gone about 10 hours without a freeze, which I don't think has happened in the couple of weeks since this symptom first appeared.  Fingers are crossed!  Perhaps it could help you, too!

Fanfold Paper
judib

Feeling optimistic....it's now about 36 hours since running registry mechanic, and have not yet experienced a single freeze.  I'll repost if the symptom reappears.

Thank you.

Fanfold Paper
RobertSchneider

I had the same symptom, except that I was running out of disk space (8% left). Moreover: my disk was fragmented badly. In my case, deleting a couple of files and defragmenting the disk helped...

Fanfold Paper
judib

Still have my lockup issue as of 2 days ago (it's been a daily challenge).  However, 2 days ago I decided to UNINSTALL all the Microsoft "updates" that were installed since September. The following morning when I went to "wake up" the computer...IT WOKE UP!  I then went back and reinstalled ONLY those updates that had been marked "critical"...I think there were 11.  This morning, again, IT WOKE UP.  I'll daily add back a few of them at a time, recording WHICH updates I'm reinstalling...so when the lock appears again (IF it appears again), I'll better be able to track down the culprit.

HTH

Paper Tape
newburt

I've been having the same problem with a T60p... however, how do you get it to install anything, it won't read the OS discs I put in .....we've run a diagnostics and they have found no problem with the drive or motherboards.  I have let the Bios clean everything off and bring it back to factory... is this what you did and did you just purchase this mechanical disc and did you just run it -- how did the system read it if you could not use your curser to select the disc drive????

thanks

Fanfold Paper
judib

When the computer would freeze up, I shut it down using the power button (which was the only possible way to shut it down).  Then I'd power up the computer again.

I basically went to control panel / add/remove programs / then scrolled to the Microsoft updates for Windows and for Office.  I uninstalled all of the updates since September 1, 2009.  Once they were uninstalled, I rebooted.  I kept the computer on through the night, and when I clicked the curser the following morning, everything was clickable.  Eset Smart Security is my  anti virus.  It gave me a "warning" that updates needed to be added to my computer, and what their priority was.  I elected to start by reinstalling only those updates marked "critical".  Having reinstalled them, again my computer  "wakes up" after an overnight without freezing.

My guess is that one of the Microsoft updates was either a bad file or was causing a conflict somewhere.  I had thought about reinstalling the updates one by one to try to figure it out....but have not done that (and not sure I will at this point). 

My computer did seem to run fine in Safe Mode as well.  Does yours?