Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
pauld

T61 LCD quality

[ Edited ]
Recently received my CTO T61, overall I like it, features/price cannot be beat, nice build (plastic looks cheap though), but it has the worst LCD I have ever seen, washed out, huge light leakage from the bottom, vertical viewing angles are very poor. Is it common issue these days? Is it LCD quality or a defect?
Anybody was succesfull with sending T61 for a LCD replacement?

Message Edited by pauld on 04-19-2008 12:17 PM
Paper Tape
dave1351

Re: T61 LCD quality

Mine is the same.
Was surprised because my 22" Sanyo monitor uses the same TFT technology as the T61. 
The Sanyo is vastly superior.
Dave
Fanfold Paper
Ben_J

Same here.  The FRU for my screen, 42T0329,  isn't even listed with the T61p systems, it's listed on the T60p.  It's horrible.
Fanfold Paper
Ben_J

I just called the Hardware Support center and they're sending me a box to ship the laptop in with.  I guess I'll see what the service depot says.

The FRU I pulled up on my parts list showed as 42T0329.  If you look in the service manual for the T61p SXGA+, the FRU's listed are 42X4641, 42T0417, and 42T0423.  I told the CSR this and his excuse was that those FRU's change a lot.  He didn't have much to say when I told him that I found the 42T0329 FRU in the T60p service manual.

I'm convinced that they found this LCD in the bottom of a warehouse somewhere.
zeb
Fanfold Paper
zeb

[ Edited ]
Hi,

Same for me. I have acquired a T61 with widescreen, and I am disappointed by the LCD quality. My company has a X61 which has a superb 12" 4:3 screen: large angles, crisp and vibrant colours. The T61 is really different: there is a lot of light bleeding at the bottom of the screen, which makes a light gradient from bottom to top, and colours are not as good. Is it a defect? Should I contact the support?

I am afraid this is the case for many of these machines, and that we will not get any good replacement, as this is not really a defect, but a poor choice of component.

EDIT: I found on YouTube many video reviews reporting the same thing, such as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUcQ_npwXjk

Message Edited by zeb on 04-24-2008 01:55 PM
Paper Tape
pauld

Sent mine back to Lenovo for refund, for me resonally it's just unacceptable to waste $1000 on such device, which can only be used for text reading. I am finally convinced that Lenovo is no IBM. I have 8 years old IBM LCD, outstanding quality, sorry those days are gone.
Punch Card

Pauld,

So what's your backup plan?  I picked Lenovo because of the build quality and keyboard and ended up returning my first T61P because of stuck and dead pixels.  I've got another system ordered that hasn't shipped and supposedly won't until the end of May.  Because of their return policy, I doubt I'll be able to return a second system if it doesn't meet expectations without incurring a restocking fee.  I was looking at going through a third-party vendor for a Thinkpad but would consider other makes if they have the same quality keyboard.
Paper Tape
pauld

I was considering Dell and Fujitsu, both have business line laptops with very good keyboards, went with Fujitsu, it runs quiter and cooler, which is essential for me, Dell would be cheaper though.
Punch Card

Well, I got some good news today... New ship date is 4/27 so I'll be sticking w/ Lenovo.  Kudos to Mark Lenovo.
Punch Card
techno_techie

I just opened my T61 today and was really rather let-down by the screen display.  There is severe backlight bleeding on the bottom (IMO), and there is a vertical gradient effect that I find very distracting - it seems as if the lighting isn't even.  It also occurs horizontally, so I have to say that I am not pleased with my LCD either.  Does anyone know if it is possible to send it into the depot to get a screen without the backlight bleeding and gradient problem?  I have the limited warranty (it just arrived last week, so if I needed to, I could upgrade), so "defective" parts are covered.

Anyone had any luck?

Concerned and disappointed,
TT