Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
asvnix

Re: T61P LCD quality for WUXGA

And what will be without this managment. I want to buy t61p with 1920x1200 LCD, but I will use Linux. As I understand, I'll have horrible collors
Punch Card
aiiee

Completely untrue. Don't believe everything you hear.  My Ku buntu Hardy is as good color-wise as Windows.  And Nvidia does make proprietary drivers for their cards for LInux, you just need to install them.  Needed if you want to run Compiz and the other eye candy.
Paper Tape
asvnix

I haven't seen this LCD (of t61) on my own eyes. Is it worse than Apple's or HP's LCD's?
Paper Tape
asvnix

I'm sorry, one more question. Type glxgears in console. Does it run fast and properly on Quadro FX 570 with your drivers?
Punch Card
aiiee

glxgears runs smooth and fast.
Token Ring
georg

Re: T61 LCD quality

[ Edited ]

Julie wrote:
14.1 suffers the same issues
If i would be doing graphical work or video editing and if i would find that the panel does not meet the requirements for such work, i would probably use a high quality external monitor, whenever possible.

Julie wrote:
6. USB on right side of 14.1 T61 is often under powered - meaning no connecting external HDDs, etc.

As per definition, a USB port will supply 500 mA. Most of today's external 2,5" hard drives will need 1 A or more just in order to start up. Such drives cannot be powered by one single USB port.

Message Edited by georg on 06-13-2008 09:37 AM
Token Ring
georg

Re: Disappointing display and no satisfaction from Lenovo tech depot...

[ Edited ]

Julie wrote:
7. The screen on a 14.1 is going to kill your eyes after 30 minutes of use. Just try it.

I tried a 14.1" T61 with a Samsung XGA panel but can't confirm what you are writing.
Message Edited by georg on 08-25-2008 01:33 AM
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

All,

I apologize from being absent from the conversation for a while.  I've been traveling this past week - (work, not vacation).

Thus far we have confirmed this part is qualified on the system - it is a valid part to have been building with.   There are some differences in the specs of the LG and the Samsung panels which can be measured by instruments.  But it's not a one sided situation,  as each have some relative strengths in one area or another.

Monday is a holiday.   Tuesday, I plan to spend some time with the engineer in person, and though I've read his summary findings, I need to talk through them with him, and see what is appropriate to post to help the community understand the attributes of the panels.

Lastly,  I think we should take a look at a couple more to see if there is evidence of variance panel to panel.  

Amongst this group, who thinks they have a worst case example, a panel so bad they just can't stand it?

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Ctrl-Alt-Del
boblydan

My company bought five T61's, but all our employees complain about the quality of the display. It's actually gone so far that they've requested getting their old T42's back.

At first, I did notice that the display was very dark. I reckoned it might be due to some software configuration or something, and didn't think much of it, but it seems that this is not the case. Try using a T61 outdoors! You might as well be staring at a plastic tray.

We're quite sceptical as to purchasing T61's again. We have several T60's, and people are quite happy with them. Alas, they're not available anymore. This is rather unfortunate, as we've stuck with T-series Thinkpads since the T21's ages ago.

Is there any possibilty to get the panels on the T61's replaced?
Token Ring
LukeD

[ Edited ]
Having used T Series since their creation, I can say that my T61 screen is so bad that I have not even turned it on for two months. I have stopped using it completely.

I just use my Macs, computers that I would have never considered before the T61, and my X300.

How can Lenovo make such a great screen on the X300 and such junk on the T61? It is as if they have been manufactured by 2 different companies.

PS: Mark, I am willing to donate mine to “science”, Lenovo's investigation of the issue, for some form of credit or discount on my purchase of the next generation T series.

Message Edited by LukeD on 05-26-2008 09:47 AM
MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**