Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
toby

Re: T61 LCD quality

Same issue here, my t61p that I bought in dec has horrible LCD quality. At the beginning I just took it, not having a new other screen to compare. At the beginning there was a horizontal gradient in backlighting strength. Later there also came that the left and right side were not well lit. I guess the cold cathode lamp, just as the ones on the ceiling, wear out on the ends.
Then I ordered another t61p for my brother in march, and its LCD seems to be good. much brighter overall (set at the same brightness level) and also much more even. At that point I noticed that my old one was really terrible.
What I also noticed, mine is a Samsung disply, while my brother's is a LG. It seems there is a huge difference, probably worth canceling the order and reordering if it can be seen from the order, checking the FRUs, which display you will get.

T

t61p 2.4ghz c2d, 4gb ram, 100gb 7200 rpm hd, 256mb fx 570m, 3945abg intel, wuxga, suse64 10.3
Bit Torrent
wjli2

[ Edited ]
yeap there seem to be a consensus regarding the quality of Samsung LCD displays, the LCD made by LG-Philips seem to be much better.... shame on me for getting so many desktop Samsung LCD displays, all of which suffer from light leakage, one of the them has broken stand after 3 months of usage.... old LG display suffer from inaccurate colour, but seem to be resolved after Philips joined up with LG for LCD manufacturering..

Message Edited by wjli2 on 05-08-2008 01:56 AM
Punch Card
justdisguy

For those who have replaced Samsung with LG. What's the FRU for the LG? (I want to make sure to insist on the right part.) Thx!
Fanfold Paper
customer_ger

I received my T61 14.1WS this week. It came with an LG panel, specifically the LP141WP1-TLB8. I can't find any better words to describe my impression of the display than those of the person who started this thread: "washed out, huge light leakage from the bottom, vertical viewing angles are very poor".

I am wondering if the LG panel I got is the best option one can get, or if I should get in contact with Lenovo service and ask for a replacement. I have heard of Samsung displays, which supposedly are even worse. Are various kinds and qualities of (LG) displays available? Is this a widespread failure or might other panels of the same type show less light leakage? Can anyone confirm my observations regarding this panel? Thank you!
Token Ring
rec630

[ Edited ]
I haven't had my machine for 48 hours yet, so maybe it's the excitement of newness, but I haven't noticed  anything that's different  screenwise than other TP I've seen at work (but they are't WS)...an adjustment sometimes  is needed as I change my viewing angle but otherwise no other complaints on the screen so far, but maybe that will change as I get more time in front of it.   The keyboard is a  different matter - too mushy feeling and  different than other TPs I've used - it looks like its a Chicony, but this isn't a KB thread.

ETA: 15.4 WXGA T61 - FRU 42T0421, an LG if I looked it up correctly.

Message Edited by rec630 on 05-04-2008 04:56 PM
Bit Torrent
wjli2

keyboard would get better if you use it bit more.... it needs to be worn in....
Bit Torrent
wjli2

the WXGA screen seem to suffer less of the problem experienced by WSXGA and WSXGA +
Punch Card
Hellbore

[ Edited ]
I have used both the Samsung and LG versions of the 15.4" WSXGA+ screen, and my experience was that the Samsung was more washed out and had very poor viewing angles.  The LG had richer more vibrant colors and less light leakage.  The Samsung also looked a little grainy.

The Samsung was brighter though, in my case.  Or maybe it wasn't actually brighter, maybe it just seemed brighter because of the washed-out colors?

However, I have to say these differences were noted by spending a significant amount of time using them and comparing them side-by-side.  They were not super obvious differences, both screens looked OK to the untrained eye.

Message Edited by Hellbore on 05-04-2008 05:54 PM
T61p, T7800 CPU, Nvidia Quadro FX 570M GPU, WSXGA+ LDC, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, Intel 4965AGN wireless, 1GB Intel Turbo Memory, Vista Business 64bit
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 275

All,

I've been following the discussion here and on the thread on NBR.   In the discussion on NBR, it appears that the group tightened the focus to systems with FRU 42T0329.

Is that the consensus here as well?

Does anyone here have a fairly new T61 system with that model Samsung screen that they believe is not up to the quality standards one would expect, and would be willing to send in their system for us to take a look at?

I'm looking for a couple US based volunteers who believe they have really worst case example screens.

Please respond if you are interested and I'll get your shipping details via PM.

Thanks.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
justdisguy

Hi Mark,

I'm an unhappy owner of a brand new T61p with the Samsung LCD in question. (So unhappy that I started doing internet research about it and discovered this forum and the NBR one.) I don't know if mine is worst case, but I'm not happy with the brightness, viewing angles and general quality of the monitor. (Not as part of a system that retails for what a T61p does. And especially not considering this is the "recommended" configuration on your web site.)

I saw on another forum that a user successfully lobbied Lenovo to replace their LCD with an LG model. I wrote my Lenovo rep asking about the same thing and am waiting to hear back. (I don't know what sending it in for you to "have a peek" will get me. If you'd be willing to actually replace the monitor with something better, I'd be interested.)

I suspect other users are making similar requests. That being said, I'd be open to sending mine in if my rep is unable to help. Right now, it's just sitting on my desk. I'm not using it because I'm still trying to decide if it's worth keeping.

Thanks.