Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
kri1138

Re: T61 + NVS 140m ---> Random Green Screen Distortions ---> Now Dead laptop

Just wanted to add to my above post. My laptop is showing the same symptoms like jswhite described. All the green and white vertical stripes, initially when i boot the system and if i just continue to boot in to the windows, it shows a grey screen. Sometimes it stays there with a grey screen and sometimes it goes in to an infinite loop of restarts and shutdowns.

But the most important thing i wanted to add is, if i get into resue and recovery, clean format the system, ( format c:smileyhappy: and do the factory install from oem, the vertical stripes and the green screen is gone (clear crsip screens at this point), until it comes to a point in the recovery, where i guess it installs some drivers in the last stage of the setup. And i am back to where i started with vertical stripes and grey screen.

Also if some body could suggest if the pci external display card might work ?

Thanks,

KRishna

Punch Card
texudo

[ Edited ]

I think Lenovo need to have some steps for sharing this issue with their customer. 

Because there are a lot of users facing this issue, and they have to pay nearly 500$ for fixing, it is too expensive;

I think it will become BIG problem if there are more users claim about this issue;

We need to have some next steps to announce this issue with other people, and show for them the real quality of Lenovo products and support policy

Fanfold Paper
zaldy1028

I agree with texudo... My R61i was my first thinkpad and it didn't meet my expectation with it's lifespan because of a poor quality of one of it's components.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,236
Solutions: 1,329

zaldy1028 wrote:

I agree with texudo... My R61i was my first thinkpad and it didn't meet my expectation with it's lifespan because of a poor quality of one of it's components.

R61i doesn't have a Nvidia GPU. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
zaldy1028

Yes it does have an NVS 140M graphics card. The model number is 7742-23A.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,236
Solutions: 1,329

@Zaldy1028, you are right your R61i does have the Nvidia GPU, which is quite weird. 

I am not sure whether you have the option to extend the warranty on your machine, i think you should call Lenovo service in your country to discuss the option. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
kri1138

Just want to let you know my findings. Although i am still seeing this vertical stripes on the screen when it bootsup, i was able to successfully install windows 7. Now it is good. Only problem is the nvidia driver, if i install the nvidia driver, the screen goes grey again. So do not install the latest version of nvidia, either manually or thru windows update, if this problem happens for you.

Also using think vantage button installs nvidia even if you dont want it. So you cannot use that one as well.