Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
jjohnkim

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

Im having a similar issue to this now. Laptop display does not work, and if I hook it up to an external monitor, it works, but only to a certain extent. I get blue vertical lines on the start-up screen.

Tried calling a Lenovo technician today, and they said they would move my case up to higher management, so hopefully this all works out and they acknowledge the issue with the faulty nvidia chips soon.

Here's to hoping.

oc
Punch Card
oc

[ Edited ]

Fixed!

FYI after few hours I managed to fix it by baking the motherboard in the oven (385 degree F - 7 minutes)

If you are out of warranty and really want to keep your computer, you may try this method at your own risks.   You can find online several guidelines (see url below). 

Otherwise the most important is to put your board on aluminum foil, raised the board on small aluminum balls, make sure board is flat/leveled, pre-heat at 385F, then cook 5-10minutes (I used 7 minutes).

http://www.addictivetips.com/computer-tips/fix-your-graphics-card-by-baking-in-oven/

I hope this will help.  Good luck!

Punch Card
deejjoy

oc wrote:

Fixed!

FYI after few hours I managed to fix it by baking the motherboard in the oven (385 degree F - 7 minutes)

If you are out of warranty and really want to keep your computer, you may try this method at your own risks.   You can find online several guidelines (see url below). 

Otherwise the most important is to put your board on aluminum foil, raised the board on small aluminum balls, make sure board is flat/leveled, pre-heat at 385F, then cook 5-10minutes (I used 7 minutes).

http://www.addictivetips.com/computer-tips/fix-your-graphics-card-by-baking-in-oven/

I hope this will help.  Good luck!

i'm curious, how did you do it with film plastic on the system board? it's really tough to remove it.

oc
Punch Card
oc

deejjoy wrote:

i'm curious, how did you do it with film plastic on the system board? it's really tough to remove it.

I actually have NOT removed the black plastic film that are located and glued at several locations on the board.  I removed only the battery and the memory.  All the rest is fine if the temperature is kept at 385F for few minutes. (I used 7minutes) - The films after the process were looking as before.

In short I removed everything that is easy to remove on the board and did not touch the rest.

Punch Card
deejjoy

i did the unthinkable and removed the film plastic. oven baked 385F for 8 minutes and now my t61 is back to life. hehe i hear ebay calling.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

All,

You can get help on these - please call service, even if out of warranty on this - an exception may be made.  Service may initially indicate you are out of warranty, but point out your symptom and request that they search their internal tips database. 

As for some of the creative suggestions....

I really can't recommend the oven baking to reflow solder - yes, it may work but you may also be damaging other things.   As for doing this and then selling the system  on ebay - although I took the comment to be made in jest and I'm sure all of our members are of sound moral character... I can only  imagine how'd I feel if I found myself on the other side of that deal.

Please.. call service.  Don't bake these - they aren't cookies. :smileyvery-happy:

Ping me via PM if you need help on this.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Fanfold Paper
mbarrera

[ Edited ]

Hello all!

I'm joining the club!  The screen on my T61 finally gave out!  The problem was that this issue coincided with my attempts to upgrade to win7.  I'm still not sure about doing a clean win 7 install on my T61 but I will have to deal with the GPU problem first.  I'm going to try heating the gpu portion of the motherboard with a heat gun first as I was about to replace the board before I found this thread.  I'll get back to you with the results!

My machine is a T61 7662CTO  14.1" screen with the NVIDIA chip set.

Fanfold Paper
mbarrera

[ Edited ]

Problem Solved !!!

oc wrote:

Fixed!

__________________________________________________________________________________________ 

I was at the end of the line experiencing all the frustration and pain regarding the NVIDIA issue with this product. It looked like I was going to have to dump Lenovo and move onto a competitor brand unit after years of satisfaction with Lenovo brand... and then I found this post by oc and tried the remedy... and it works!!!

After virtually dying, my ThinkPad was brought to life by the "Baking Method".  I disassembled the ThinkPad to remove the mother board, a much greater task than anticipated.  I removed everything on the board possible and after a few hours of disassembly, popped the motherboard into the oven on a cookie dish! (I used aluminum foil to create four balls to raise the board about 1" off the dish).   The oven was preheated to 385 degrees and the board placed into it for 7 minutes.  I removed the board and allowed it to cool and reassembled the unit.  And to my amazement and relief the ThinkPad fired up and is running better than ever...I've performed a clean win7 install and everything is running great!!!

Thanks oc!!! and all other contributors with this method. 

Best Regards,

mbarrera

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

why don't you get the motherboard replaced free?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
mrdarcy1

[ Edited ]

I have just purchased a brand new T61 6460 with Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M. How can I tell if it is fitted with the faulty G64 chip.   T61 Mod 6460 Ser No:*. Your comments will be appreciated

Moderator edit: Masked serial number to prevent nefarious use.