Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
nareshkanduri

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

Unfortunately, this was my 5th time calling them.I hope on getting a nicer rep everytime I call.

Fanfold Paper
nareshkanduri

I see Mark online today.

Can you post something here or respond to my PM please?

Thanks!

Fanfold Paper
nareshkanduri

Y'all,

Mark Hopkins just called me and said Service is going to get in contact with me regarding this issue and they are going to install a new motherboard on mine!

Sweet!

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,276
Solutions: 275

All,

I'll continue to try to help on these, but please keep in mind that  this is but one issue in the forum and so I will do my best to respond to PMs and will check back here but may not be able always to respond the same day.

Please continue to try to contact service, this is taking a bit longer than expected to get all agents up to speed on this topic, and I appreciate your patience as we do.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
ikillau

i have the same exact problem with mine , same video card too , can u please tell me what to do to fix this ? and does any one know if i can just replace the video card? i dont want to open it and buy a new chip to replace it and find out the chip is soldered in

Punch Card
hillzRider

So this was the source of the problem with my T61.

It's good to know at least...

Suspecting it was some virus even though there had been some other (seemingly non-virus related)

symptoms , I formatted the HDD and installed Window 7.

Now this morning, thinking everything was swell and fine, I was updating my drivers 

and all of sudden, boom, the garbled screen hit me back.

I'll keep searching the forum for the solution to this new problem.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,276
Solutions: 275

ikillau,

Please see my last post....if you have a garbled display, then please contact service as I have advised.   If you have just a black screen and no beep codes, then the problem is less determined - could be multiple things causing the trouble.  A suggestion was made to you on another thread by goretsky on trying to reset the system.  You might try that.  You could also try plugging into an external display somewhere to see if you get an image - if so, then you seem to have an LCD issue, but if no display on the external, then you most likely have a system board problem.  The GPU is soldered down and can not be changed out by the customer and the board would need to be replaced.

hillzrider,

Please see my PM.    Calling service is the right thing to do for the garbled screen that persists even in BIOS.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
stupidolive

did anyone here get the garbled display problem fixed out of warranty?

thanks

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,203
Solutions: 1,277

stupidolive wrote:

did anyone here get the garbled display problem fixed out of warranty?

thanks

There is quite a few people whom got this issue fixed out of warranty. And personally i have done it for few of my friends' T61 and T61p over the last few weeks. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
Grimster

1. Its the Nvidia  G84 and G86 chips that are defective. There is no such thing as a G64 chip.

Sorry folks but ALL g84 and g86 chips have the defect. (basically every Nvidia chip Lenovo used for the T61 series) It has nothing to do with the soldering of the chip. Nvidia used faulty material to bind the silicon to the chip package. The material deteriorates with heat over time.

Everyone loses out here. Lenovo denies the problem to cover themselves. Even with an extended warranty you will eventually be out of luck. There is no substituting these chips even if you send it in for repair. Lenovo is simply waiting for these units to get out of warranty so they dont have to deal with them anymore.

Sad but true.