Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

in certain countries there are rules regarding the 3 months warranty extension on parts repaired, so this maybe the case in US.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
t61longtimeuser

I got my out of warranty laptop fixed.  They replaced the motherboard for free.  It was a real challenge and took couple weeks of "negotiations" but Mark (from Lenovo) helped big time!!!   FYI my problem was clearly showing as the garbled display problem.

Mark,  I hope your management realize that you are providing a VERY significant help to Lenovo customers.  I was going to go away of Lenovo brand forever (me and my company) but your action, support and help made me change my mind.  (I understand that bug/issues can happen but not recognizing obvious and known issues should not happen... at least not when the company is Lenovo...  it is obviously bad.... very bad for the brand --- Dell, HP have both recognized publicly the issue and this is reassuring for all their current and future customers)

Thanks a lot Mark.  Lenovo should be proud to have you!

Punch Card
stupidolive

[ Edited ]

i tried to reinstall, and now it still randomly shuts down.... i was checking RAM and i think it works fine. there was 1-3-3-1 beep as you said...

so what should I do?

thank you

Update: now it died exactly the same as before without the garbled display - some small beeps like i heard before it was fixed again.

This time it's going to depot second critical level. So much for the thinkpad...

it seems to me that Lenovo only changed the motherboard without testing if the computer is working , which for me doesn't sound like a good practice.

lead_org

stupidolive wrote:

i tried to reinstall, and now it still randomly shuts down.... i was checking RAM and i think it works fine. there was 1-3-3-1 beep as you said...

so what should I do?

thank you

Update: now it died exactly the same as before without the garbled display - some small beeps like i heard before it was fixed again.

This time it's going to depot second critical level. So much for the thinkpad...

it seems to me that Lenovo only changed the motherboard without testing if the computer is working , which for me doesn't sound like a good practice.

Lenovo don't own the depot that fixes the laptop, they are third party companies that Lenovo contracts out to. Also, the software test kit they got, is not very CPU/GPU intensive, passing their tests, would not mean that the GPU is okay. You got run something GPU intensive for like a hour or two to find out the result.

Also, i think most of their tests are run through DOS environment (well that is what the support told me anyway). So if you get the laptop back, you should still run something GPU intensive to make sure everything is alright.

Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
stupidolive

Oh I see. well i ran their tests and actually it didn't pass. The full system test, it always shut down either at the pattern test of memory or it would pass that then shut down at the Non local video memory test. I am not sure what the problem is but when it turns on, sometimes it dies at the exact flash screen as it was before the repair. I checked the RAM and it was working fine for other computer... and no blue screen that says memory problem (I changed RAM due to faulty in RAM before), blue screen was sayin there was some error and system has to shut down (the blue screen was not even all long as we usually see, it's only 4-5 lines)

oh well....sending it in again. this is really time consuming :smileyvery-happy:

lead_org

stupidolive wrote:

Oh I see. well i ran their tests and actually it didn't pass. The full system test, it always shut down either at the pattern test of memory or it would pass that then shut down at the Non local video memory test. I am not sure what the problem is but when it turns on, sometimes it dies at the exact flash screen as it was before the repair. I checked the RAM and it was working fine for other computer... and no blue screen that says memory problem (I changed RAM due to faulty in RAM before), blue screen was sayin there was some error and system has to shut down (the blue screen was not even all long as we usually see, it's only 4-5 lines)

oh well....sending it in again. this is really time consuming :smileyvery-happy:

Well be sure to run some GPU intensive benchmark when you get the laptop back, just in case something funny should happen again. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
t61rescue

Hi guys,

I'm one of the lucky (not so) few customers to have experienced the garbled display problem.

As for all of us that have posted on this thread, Mark helped big time to get my computer fixed, free of charge.

I had to go back and forth between Lenovo's tech support, who tried to charge me 2-3 times and changed my case # in the process, but Mark was there every single time and corrected that.

After a few weeks my computer was back and seemed to be fixed!

A big, big thanks to Mark for being on top of all these issues!

Unfortunately, I think I'm in a similar same position as "stupidolive". Everything seems to work fine on my computer's display: movies, Office, Firefox, etc...

However if I plug back my external monitor, fire a movie and try to display it on the bigger screen:

It plays for less than a minute and my computer just shuts down.

Same as stupidolive: I have to remove the battery, unplug the A/C, re-plug, and then the laptop will fire up again.

Everytime I plug the display and try to play a movie on it, my laptop's life expenctancy drops below the minute.

I'll do as he did: Re-install Win7 in the hope that something got messed up b/w the new motherboard and my old install/drivers... But I actually updated NVidia's drivers already, to no luck.

I have a feeling that the laptop will take another trip to Lenovo pretty soon.

You guys have any suggestion? Any hope I'm not in the lucky batch that seems to have to send their laptop back and forth 4 times to get it right?

It's kind of sad: Mark truly did an amazing job with me, and most importantly with all of us on this thread and countless number of others, I'm sure. But it seems to be him against the entire Tech support staff at Lenovo...

Regards,

Nicolas

Punch Card
stupidolive

i think you should send it in. I sent it in. Dunno if they'll call to charge me but either way I don't think that they should only change motherboard without testing if our computer is fully functional. My laptop didn't even get plugged into the monitor and still died - 9 times within 2 hours - it was also really hot. 

I hope that the repair service will have their service checked before returning the laptop to customers since it's obvious to me that the shipping + time cost is not small for both lenovo and the customers.

Punch Card
landondyer

My wife's machine has failed with garbled graphics (and a system freeze) as well.  Out of warranty 1 year 4 months.

Calls to support are stonewalled -- they are not willing to help.  They have hung up on me 3 times.  One support tech was abusive.  No one will escalate or even listen to me.

This is beyond the pale.

I PM'd Mark.  I don't have much hope.

Punch Card
stupidolive

I don't know why but I called at 2am Eastern time - and the person helped me finding the information right away after I told him that Lenovo representative told us to call and if not, I could send him a link to this forum specifically. Did you guys try that? 

Anyway, i sent my laptop in again for fixing - another motherboard change and fan.  I called and explained I did not have to pay for the motherboard change last week. So they fixed it again for me. It was smoother than I expected. 

Anyway, I think we should be polite and persuasive on the phone. When my laptop was in for repair the first time, the guy in billing department told me the result that it was graphic card and motherboard had to be replaced, he even told me that it seemed that the problem matched with some guidelines here in lenovo so he sent it for a second check then cleared the bill for me. 

So in short, keep trying :smileyhappy: