Support in other languages: 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

stupidolive wrote:

I don't know why but I called at 2am Eastern time - and the person helped me finding the information right away after I told him that Lenovo representative told us to call and if not, I could send him a link to this forum specifically. Did you guys try that? 

Anyway, i sent my laptop in again for fixing - another motherboard change and fan.  I called and explained I did not have to pay for the motherboard change last week. So they fixed it again for me. It was smoother than I expected. 

Anyway, I think we should be polite and persuasive on the phone. When my laptop was in for repair the first time, the guy in billing department told me the result that it was graphic card and motherboard had to be replaced, he even told me that it seemed that the problem matched with some guidelines here in lenovo so he sent it for a second check then cleared the bill for me. 

So in short, keep trying :smileyhappy:

The afterhour call centre is supported by different people, in my own opinion, they are usually more experienced than the people working in the morning, whom seems to be newbies in call support. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
t61rescue

Yeah you're right, I called Lenovo and they're shipping another box for service... Let's hope they test the machine for more than 5 min / don't give me a motherboard that has been sitting in their warehouse since 1985!

This whole experience got me so much closer to "investing in some kind of fruit company" as Forrest would say...

Punch Card
stupidolive

[ Edited ]

Just to update. I got the machine back today. testing to see if it's running ok. so far not too hot yet.

One thing I find strange is that they replaced my mobo, fan AND keyboard. not sure why they changed my keyboard but it doesnt feel as good as before............ i'm disappointed hehe

UPDATED: my t61 has been running fine. quite cool now after they changed the fan

do you guys know how to control the fan? it seems to run quite often even if i dont run much on the computer

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Hmmm,

What to do with a T61 that has one month left on its 3-year warranty, and hasn't failed yet?  Do they all fail eventually?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

lead_org

stupidolive wrote:

Just to update. I got the machine back today. testing to see if it's running ok. so far not too hot yet.

One thing I find strange is that they replaced my mobo, fan AND keyboard. not sure why they changed my keyboard but it doesnt feel as good as before............ i'm disappointed hehe

UPDATED: my t61 has been running fine. quite cool now after they changed the fan

do you guys know how to control the fan? it seems to run quite often even if i dont run much on the computer

download Tpfancontrol and use that to control the fan speed. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
robpm

I'm in the throes of a similar problem. I have a 2.5 year old Lenovo T61, running XP SP3, dual core 2.? speed,  4G ram, 200G HD, NVida, with gigabit ethernet, abgn intel wireless card, bluetooth.

A week ago, the display chip went nuts, and I called warranty service (glad I bought that long warranty).  They sent a tech with a (refurbished) motherboard next day.

Replaced the motherboard, booted up the machine, and - lo and behold - the display works, but no connectivity: no wireless, no ethernet, no modem, no USB modem (I have service to attach my blackberry as a modem). Nothing works in the dock or directly connected

Call warranty service, danced on their heads about refurb parts, and - long story short, on Tuesday, tech shows up with another (new this time - last one in North America, they claim) motherboard.  Replace motherboard.  Same problems.  No connectivity.  Zip. Nada.

Back to warranty service - next day, tech shows up with new wireless card, miscellaneous cables, etc.  Replaces wireless card.  Same problem. No connectivity.  Even tried connecting the cable modem directly (bypassing router). Nothing.

Lots of tech trying to fiddle with software settings, but no soap.

It's been escalated at Lenovo, but I'm now a week without my main machine and really distressed. I'm not willing to send it to depot, because I need access to the programs and data (not duplicated, though backed up).

Does anyone have any experience with something like this - perfectly functioning networking vanishing with the replacement of the motherboard?

Fanfold Paper
asicliu

I got the same issues with my two-year old T61.There aer white lines and gray blocks and it stuck there when powerup. I called the customer service. Then they sent the shipping box. I got it back yesterday and it's fixed! Pretty much sure they changed the mother board since the bios is different (I upgraded it before).

I am so glad  it's back to normal now :-)...

Paper Tape
chriskinlb

[ Edited ]

Wow, I feel lucky that I've lasted so long (since '97).  What a nightmare though this weekend.  My palm cell phone decides to fail on me yesterday and my T61 7662 CTO fails on me tonight.  I literally do ALL my business on my laptop and phone.  To top it all off, Lenovo never registered my 4 year extended warranty  (NBD 9-5) so every time I have an issue, they have to look up the warranty number that I have to give them over the phone, then process an "exception", then assign a case #, then I have to wait 24-48 hours for a tech to give me a call.  It's a nightmare and before my last repair (fan replacement) 3 months ago, I was promised they would have the paperwork expedited in the filing system located in Brazil, yes Brazil, to be put into their system so it would be retrievable.  I highly doubt this has happened yet because it's what I was told 18 months ago when I had a previous issue.  That $194 for the four-year extended warranty I'm finding is the best decision I have ever made with a warranty. 

Sorry for the ranting and raving.  Yes, my screen failed 3 times in a row and then the fourth attempt to reboot, the screen is garbled up and actually was divided into 4 quadrants with different colors.  The desktop screen can barely be seen behind all the garbling and on top of that it's split in half horizontally for some reason.  I pulled out an old monitor and was able to get rid of the quadrants but there is a bunch of thick which lines running vertically.  Fortunately, I as able to navigate through my programs to find the hard copy I made of my warranty.  I have the warranty number in my palm/cell phone but as I stated, it failed yesterday.  I was in a slight panic due to my past experience with Lenovo CSR knowing if I didn't have that warranty number to prove I actually purchased one, I would be SOL with them.  No offense to Mark, but waiting 2 hours to talk to a rep and then for them to be so incompetent at times has left a bad taste in my mouth for my first Lenovo experience.  However, once you get a tech out in the field, it's a completely different experience.  After all is said, I'm seeing that I am very fortunate to have an extended warranty and I will be very clear that I don't want a rehabbed motherboard from what I've seen on this forum.

lead_org

i don't think there is any new motherboard for the T61p. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Paper Tape
chriskinlb

[ Edited ]

Ehhh, I've been as persistant as I possibly can to get this resovled.  I'm currently on hold with a Technician who is getting their Supervisor to check to see if they have any replacement boards in stock.  The Technician informed me that they don't have any in the U.S. and that it would most likely be 5-7 business days before one was in stock!!  I told her that was unacceptable because I literally do ALL my business from my laptop and I cannot take 1 1/2 weeks off of work.  I don't have a spare computer to work off of to upload my backup to....This isn't looking too good.  I'll post an update once I have one.............