Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
t61vn

Re: Lenovo T61 display problem from startup

I agree with you about waiting.

I visited the link in your post to check

-I fill my T61 type 6459 into the 'Type' textbox . It showed result included Vietnam. That seems okay to me

I just wonder why I check warranty it said expired in just 1 year. Location: United State. It also said
 "This product has a one year limited warranty and is entitled to EZServ/Depot Service"

The service center tech guy told me thinkpad laptop can be fixed for free if it is in warranty. No care where it was bought

That's my situation

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

this is not true, the laptop can only be fixed in the countries that is registered under the IWS list as per the model number. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
herchu

Here is another user with the nvidia gpu problem...

My bought my T61 in USA while I was working there, now I live in Argentina. Lenovo reps here: a) they cannot repair the equipment since it was not bought in this country and b) I should go to local resellers/repairers (they gave me some phones and names; they are not Lenovo but just "lenovo authorized").

Since none of this repair people was in my city (or near), I went to a local electronics guy a couple of months ago, who promised to repair it... and in fact he did, though the same problem appeared after a couple of weeks of usage. He repaired it three times already, and still I am having the problem again. He says he unsolder / resolder everything and this should not be happening, though I suspect he just "bakes" the board or something like that -- not a permanent solution, for what I have read in this forum.

I am looking for a way to really solve this. Contacting Lenovo to buy a replacement board they gave a price of about USD 600 for the same motherboard I own (and I can buy a new computer for more or less that price!). Plus, I don't want to pay that much for installing another nvidia g84/g86 core, which will eventually fail again. Is there any other motherboard that can be installed, compatible with the physical space and hardware in this particular notebook? This is a T61, with the nice 15.4" 1650x1080 display; type 6459-CTO. (Perhaps integrated/intel boards may fit, but I don't know if they support this resolution either).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Hernan.

Blue Screen Again
greymatters

T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem

[ Edited ]

So I guess there's probably a lot of t61 users out there with nvidia quadro 140 cards that have faulty gpu chips from '08, right? I just learned about this issue. I've had the laptop since 2008, but I was just using it for school until I graduated last Spring.This summer I started gaming again and tried running Team Fortress 2 on the game's lowest settings and my laptop kind of freaked out (BSOD!!!).

I decided to do some tests on the laptop's hardware, just in case, because my intense warranty expires in March '11. The GPU seems to idle at 65-70C.. according to more than one monitoring programs. I tried running System Shock 2 (a game from 1999), and the gpu temps soared to 90C. 90C!!! That was a little frightening. So I started to do some research on the card itself (I wish I had done this sooner) and realized that my card was one of those which nVidia declared faulty in 2008. Ironically I had heard all about this issue in 2008 because a good friend had stock in nVidia back then and it had tragically plummeted. It hadn't occured to me to check mine out. :smileysad:

If you're wondering about what batch I'm referring to, here's a few articles on the matter:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/10/all-nvidia-8400m-8600m-chips-faulty/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-g84-g86-chips-overheating,6121.html

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1028703/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

So my question is --how Lenovo has been handling this issue? My laptop is under warranty, so it seems like I shouldn't have trouble getting it serviced... but what will happen from here? If they replace the card/motherboard with the same exact thing, won't it just have the same defective chip? Are there newer versions of the Quadro 140m with non-defective chips? Or has Lenovo manned-up and replaced the boards with something newer and NON-RISKY? I'm just worried because the laptop goes out of warranty in a few months and I don't want to get screwed.

Any advice? Help? Personal experiences? So far my dealings with Lenovo customer support have been pretty pleasant (especially compared to previous experiences with Dell & Gateway). But I haven't had an issue this serious before. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

Jo

lead_org

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem

There are a batch of these nvidia GPU that used different solder compound which resolves this issue, but i am not sure whether Lenovo is using them (i assume they are, as that is the only way to deal with this issue when using the same nvidia GPU setup). 

Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
BRinLINY

Thanks BT...

Fanfold Paper
t61vn

It would be nice if Lenovo could do the same as Toyota did with problem in cars they manufactured over the world:

"retrieved failed ones, fixed them for free, and sent sorry email to customers"
lead_org

t61vn wrote:
It would be nice if Lenovo could do the same as Toyota did with problem in cars they manufactured over the world:

"retrieved failed ones, fixed them for free, and sent sorry email to customers"

That would be possible, if the laptop costed as much as the car, and the laptop hardware failure is a concern to the user's safety. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Blue Screen Again
herchu

and do you know, lead_org, if:

1) other, newer boards, can be used? It would be nice if one could replace the faulty board by a better one, so upgrading the hardware (by a new processor, i3, i5, etc.). Since the board is expensive, this would help decide it is worth spending that money.

2) do you know if such a board can be ordered online from Lenovo US? As I said above, in Argentina the price is ridiculously high, almost a new laptop. I will be travelling to US so I could get a replacement. If this is possible, could you help me find the correct part # ? (I can PM you with the details).

Thanks,

Hernan

lead_org

herchu wrote:

and do you know, lead_org, if:

1) other, newer boards, can be used? It would be nice if one could replace the faulty board by a better one, so upgrading the hardware (by a new processor, i3, i5, etc.). Since the board is expensive, this would help decide it is worth spending that money.

2) do you know if such a board can be ordered online from Lenovo US? As I said above, in Argentina the price is ridiculously high, almost a new laptop. I will be travelling to US so I could get a replacement. If this is possible, could you help me find the correct part # ? (I can PM you with the details).

New boards doesn't fit in the chassis of your laptop. So it won't work. But there are bios hack out there (or soon will be) that allows you to use a Penryn T9xxx 800mhz FSB CPU, which is about as fast as the top end i3 mobile processor. 

Regards,

Jin Li