Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
blueshark

Re: Lenovo T61 display problem from startup

herchu,

I have searched, but I did not see my Type Number ie 7662-CTO is not listed.

7662-not listed

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

@herchu.

The board for the 15.4 inch T61 and T61p are all the same shape and dimension, so they are intercompatible with each other. So as long as this board model is for the 15.4 inch model then it would work, regardless of the GPU type used on the motherboard.

Yes the intel GPU model can support WSXGA+, some of them were shipped with this LCD resolution from the factory. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
herchu

lead_org wrote:

@herchu.

The board for the 15.4 inch T61 and T61p are all the same shape and dimension, so they are intercompatible with each other. So as long as this board model is for the 15.4 inch model then it would work, regardless of the GPU type used on the motherboard.

Yes the intel GPU model can support WSXGA+, some of them were shipped with this LCD resolution from the factory. 

Excellent, thank you. Now it comes the task of finding and buying the part... Do you have any recommendation for buying it in USA? I am going to travel in a couple of weeks and will try to buy it during my trip.

lead_org

i am not too sure where you would source the motherboard from. IBM parts do sell them, but they are quite expensive around 400 USD +, which is not really worth it. Considering that a refurb Thinkpad R400 (which is essentially a T400 with slightly thicker base) is only retailing at outlet.lenovo.com for around 400 to 500 USD. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Blue Screen Again
herchu

blueshark wrote:

herchu,

I have searched, but I did not see my Type Number ie 7662-CTO is not listed.

I did find yours. I just pasted that code, clicked search, and then clicked "system service parts" in the links listed below.

Here is the parts listing, anyway: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67911 (This is the 14.1" model). Scroll down to section 21 and I think those are the motherboard you should use (the differ from mine, so I recommend you crosscheck this).

Hernan.

Punch Card
blueshark

@lead_org,

I use 7662-CTO 14.1 inch Widscreen, will 42W7866 work for me ?

I searched in parts index for my PC, but  7662-CTO was not listed for 42W7866. I need to know if it will work in case i dint make it sending My PC.

lead_org

blueshark wrote:

@lead_org,

I use 7662-CTO 14.1 inch Widscreen, will 42W7866 work for me ?

I searched in parts index for my PC, but  7662-CTO was not listed for 42W7866. I need to know if it will work in case i dint make it sending My PC.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67911

yes it will work, it is listed in the hardware manual. Your laptop currently has the firewire port?

Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
t61vn

Based on the link below

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68229#20

It looks like there is no option to select mainboard with integrated graphic card as the replacement for my T61 6459-CTO with nVidia graphic card which is having problem...

I did not see model 6459 in section "System board assembly, Intel GM965 with AMT (Active Management Technology)"

So does it mean I only have one choice to replace my current mainboard with nVidia GPU ?

lead_org

model number is depend on the specific feature of the laptop, but it does not mean that it is not compatible with the motherboard using intel GPU. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

Previously in this discussion, I advised customers who were experiencing a garbled display that was present in BIOS and on attached external displays to contact support.  Garbled displays that occur within Windows, but not in BIOS are most likely caused by corrupt video drivers. Please ensure you have updated your drivers to the latest version with those found on Lenovo's support site before contacting support. If you have experienced these symptoms on a T61 or T61p model system in BIOS, please contact support.  The support agent will be able to assist you with in warranty repairs, and in determining if additional coverage is available to you.

I'm marking this post as the solution to help others who may be joining this discussion late.   If you have trouble receiving support, please contact me via PM.   Please note that coverage also follows terms of international warranty - refer to model elligibility in your particular country (if you are now living in a different country than which the system was originally purchased)

UPDATE Jan 4, 2010

Previously, I have advised customers to contact service for assistance with the symptoms discussed here. In an effort to maintain customer satisfaction and loyalty, Lenovo has repaired a number of systems as post warranty exceptions. Lenovo will continue the post warranty support; however, with some revisions to the extended coverage effective December 31, 2010.

Customers who experience these symptoms on qualifying models that are no more than six months beyond expiration of warranty should continue to contact support for assistance. This additional coverage ends March 31, 2011.

Coverage beyond this date is available under the terms and conditions of extended warranty or maintenance agreements. Warranty extensions may be purchased for systems that are still within the base warranty period, and post warranty maintenance agreements may be purchased to provide coverage after base and extended warranty periods have expired. Extended warranties and maintenance agreements are a great way to ensure coverage for all the major system components.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество