Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
WarrenJim

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

Hello Tuus:

Same issue as the two folks who posted before me.  Dying GPU on a 6459cto t61p. 

Need advice on motherboard/gpu replacement. 

Thank you,

Jim

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Hi Jim, I'll reply to you in a PM with more details, but to summarize, your best option is a good original board from an unit with 08/08 date code. They are extremely rare but can be purchased if you know where to get them. The only other reliable option is a repaired board from Lenovo which cost about $575, and in my opinion, a good 08/08 board is a far better option, the heat from the process of reballing the video chip can cause severe stress on the rest of the board, so it's difficult to to resolder the chips without destroying the board. 

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Fanfold Paper
stefan_m

[ Edited ]

If you push the tech support people hard enough they will honor a board replacement even if the machine is out of warranty. They overnighted me a replacement system board and I installed it myself. The machine is back up and running 100%. Had to use the service disk to reprogram the type/serial and generate a new UUID as this was a 'serviceable used part' they sent out with the values empty.  I would suggest anyone having these GPU problems to call support and do not take no for an answer. It took me two weeks of arguing with them but they finally did the right thing and replaced the defective board for me.

Punch Card
coloradoz

How did you accomplish that?  I was treated pretty rudely, I think one guy hung up on me

Fanfold Paper
stefan_m

The first level techs were extremely rude in my case as well. I finally got somewhere when I was transferred to warranty entitlement and then transferred to customer care and told them quite frankly the entire situation is unacceptable. The person I spoke with said they had at least 5 people calling in the last week about the same issue. I can tell you for sure that trying to get the normal tech support guys to help you is a 100% waste of time and you need to further up the chain to a customer relations manager. Be prepared for a fight and don't give up.

802.11n
eecon

[ Edited ]

I would simply let the consumer affairs reporter from your local TV station(s) start handling this particular Nvidia issue in the future  .... Although I'm fine with all 5 of my T61p units, I went over the whole sordid history of this particualr Nvidia issue with a young and ambitious neighor (one of those consumer affairs reporters for our NBC local affiliate) who says going after companies on exactly this type of issue is how reporters move up the food chain. :smileywink:

Two (I used to have Five) - T61p 15.4" WS T9300 2.5Ghz units, August 08/08 Builds with FX570M Nvidia Graphics; ... One W520 i7-2860QM w/2000M Nvidia Graphics (most recent acquisition and stupidly fast); .... One - T42 4:3 15" Flexview 1.8GHz with ATI Graphics (still perfect for traveling); ... Two - T500 15.4" units both with ATI HD3650 Graphics.
DAF
802.11n
DAF

@Tuus

My T61 motherboard failed (would not Post) recently and I was lucky that I had purchased an extra year warranty (3 + 1) so it was covered. I had a very good experience with Lenovo support and had my TP repaired  and back in 4 days.

Now, reading your comments about motherboard replacements I have a couple of questions:

Is my replacement motherboard refurbished (reballed)?

If so, what would be the expected longevity for my T61 after this repair?

Thank you for your valuable insight!

E420, i5, 8GB, 500GB/7200, 32GB mSATA, Win 8.1 Pro x64
T61, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid, Win 8.1 Pro x64
Bit Torrent
TuuS

DAF wrote:

@Tuus

My T61 motherboard failed (would not Post) recently and I was lucky that I had purchased an extra year warranty (3 + 1) so it was covered. I had a very good experience with Lenovo support and had my TP repaired  and back in 4 days.

Now, reading your comments about motherboard replacements I have a couple of questions:

Is my replacement motherboard refurbished (reballed)?

If so, what would be the expected longevity for my T61 after this repair?

Thank you for your valuable insight!

Hi, most experiences with warranty are good, only the rare ones with problems end up posting here. In most cases they fix the systems very fast and do it right.

Your replacement board will most likely be refurbished, as there hasn't been any new ones in years. It's possible they had one already fitted with the updated GPU,  but odds are it was rechipped, meaning the nVidia gpu was replaced. The term "reballing" could imply resoldering the same chip, this was commonly done on older models when the solder connections would crack due to board flexing, but resoldering an nVidia chip won't fix the problem, the heat from the process "might" cover up the defect, but it always returns. Once the chip fails, only a new chip will fix the problem.

When the chips are replaced, the board is pre-heated, then the chip area is heated to melt the solder (over 400 degrees). A very expensive reballing machine is used to make sure the heat is localized in the chip area. When done correctly it can have very good results and the board could last for many years, perhaps longer. There are some cases where the heat causes colateral damage to other components, but you'd probably know by now if that was the case. 

The vast majority of the boards lenovo repairs are reliable, it's the other board refurbishers that you need to be aware of. If you look on youtube you'll see people reballing these in their kitchen ovens. Such a thing is extremely unwise and will do more damage then good. The biggest problem is that these chop-shops dump the boards on the market and most buyers have no way of knowing what they're buying. 

It would be really great if Lenovo would produce some NEW boards for these things. The demand for replacement boards isn't going to lighten up and the supply of rare 08/08 boards that I've located is almost completely exhausted, so other options need to be considered.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Paper Tape
george124

HELP !!!!

I called Lenovo support based in Atlanta twice now and two reps, a guy named ASA and another named John both were rude and hung up on me. Thats what happens when you have no quality support monitoring for these companies. I will not advise anyone to buy a Lenovo product again, and in fact, throughout the hospitals in which I work, I will be sure to spread the word about this. You might think im exaggerating, but you would be shocked about the poor customer service I recieved.

Im having the same T-61 graphics card problem and both customer reps are saying that they have no evidence that Lenovo acknowledges this problem, furthermore, they refused to let me speak with a manager or superviser because "my laptop is out of warranty".

**** MARK !  I even directed them to look at this forum and they didn't care !  Just hung up on me !  This is getting outrageous and I don't see how they have avoided lawsuits regarding this problem up until now.

**** Mark, you said that we shouldnt try to bake our graphics cards but rather contact customer support, well I have tried and clearly with disturbing results. Please, I would appreciate any help you can offer. It looks like the only way to get this problem solved is through a legal route.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Hi George, and welcome to the forum. 

I can't speak for lenovo, nor for mark, but I can tell you that he doesn't reply personally to all threads regarding this because he's stated there isn't really anything he can do for systems well out of warranty. I can personally sympathize, and I don't condone rudeness from support personnel, but I can understand their frustration too, if they are told it's not covered, they have to follow procedure.

As for legal means to a solution, I don't want to discourage you from trying, but as far as I know courts in all 50 states acknowledge that electronics die, and unless you have some evidence that lenovo failed to live upto their legal agreement (warranty), you case may be deemed frivolous and you could end up with a pile of court costs and legal fees to pay on behalf of their lawyers...   so talk to a lawyer before you consider such action. Remember, these haven't been in full production since august 2008 and most failed units are 4-5 years old...  courts consider it normal for them to need service by then.

On lenovo's behalf (and I'm not intending to be defending them), they spent millions doing free repairs for a period of 13 months that was well defined when it begun, and when it ended. Anyone who's unit failed after this period is going to feel left out...   myself included, but common sense tells me that they couldn't keep fixing these units for free that are well beyond their warranty coverage.

If you want help fixing it on your own, I'll help anyway I can, I'll even try to find you a board, which I have done for dozens of other members. It's really not difficult to fix these systems. 

In my case I simply picked up a good used board and had my system back up and running in a couple days. I've been buying thinkpads from before they coined the name, and one of the main reason I buy them is because used parts are so available, unlike the departmentstore computers that even the smallest repair would exceed it's value.