Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
neo1250
Accepted Solution

T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

I have a T61 (bought in Aug 2007) with Nvidia NVS Quadro 140M. I am consistently having display problems with the screen suddenly going green (?). On restart the BIOS itself shows a corrupted image (half screen blue, half red) and some random characters. This only happens if I use the PC over 15 mins. Once it gets a chance to cool down, it goes back to normal working condition.

My warranty expired around one month ago and ever since I am seeing this problem. Can someone suggest what could be going wrong.

Thanks. 
Agotthelf
Topics: 145
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

[ Edited ]

Hello,

if already the bios sreen is garbled and if a cool system resolves the problem, it seems you have

a faulty Nvida GPU, it´s a G64 Chip in your gfx card and Nvdia´s G64 cannot cope

with normal heat. This problem is known by Nvidia.

I would call Lenovo and tell them your problem.

moderator note: check out Marks information here, too.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
neo1250

HI Agotthelf,

Thank you for your reply. I just spoke with a Lenovo cutomer rep. and he refuses to acknowledge that the GPU present in my NVidia Quadro NVS 140M is bad. 

He says I will need to send the machine in for repairs to repair my LCD. All expenses need to paid by me !

Any other suggestions ?

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

Is your machine still under warranty?

This is most definitely a GPU problem. Your LCD is probably as good as it gets after a year of use...

Keep us posted, please...

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Punch Card
neo1250

My warranty expired in July. :smileysad:  and I started facing this issue in August.

The customer rep. I spoke with, put me on hold while he said he will check if I was correct about the bad Nvidia GPU issue. He came back after 10mins and blatantly informed me that there is NO SUCH issue, and that I will have to foot the bill to get this repaired !

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have no luck at all...I'm very sorry to hear that your T61 is not covered under warranty anymore...

Several things come into play here, and the combination is not looking good for you...

a) The whole nVidia thing is fairly new. It will take some time for people to  how to replace the GPUs or fix the problem in the similar manner that they had figured out the way around GPU issue on the T4x/R5x series.

b) Depending on the number of machines affected, Lenovo may or may not admit that there's a problem, and even if they do and start fixing out-of-warranty ThinkPads with the given issue, it won't be any time soon.

Best of all, no machine with a nVidia GPU from the affected series, be it a ThinkPad or something else, can be deemed safe at this time...

Personally, I'd try calling again and hopefully getting a more sympathetic rep on the phone. Should that fail, there are people around here that I'd be contacting. If that wouldn't reap results, I'd move on to a laptop witout nVidia card. 

What you can do for the time being is dowload the latest version of ThinkPad Fan Control which was designed with T61 as a default machine, and monitor your GPU temperatures, along with trying to keep the card cool. Personally, I'd rather have a constantly running fan than a garbled screen. You can download it from here:

http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html

I wish you the very best of luck and please keep us posted.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Nad
What's DOS?
Nad

Me too on garbeled/split screen problem. Just started yesterday and was able to get readable screen for a few minutes since but now happens all the time, right from boot, even when cold. Everything else seems to work but it is really, really hard to make way thru menus with jumbled screen and external monitor does not seem to work (no docking station).  Frustrating.

T61 7764-17u with turbo memory but downgraded to XP 

Punch Card
happiestboy

Re: T61 screen problem

Bump this thread, I have the same problem...
---------------------------------------------------------
Current: T500 2081CTO; T61 8891CTO
What's DOS?
Rfarrow2005

i also have had the same problem, since june of 08, but in december i though it was just dusty inside so i cleaned it out, got a perfect screen... for a day and a half, then it went right back. im going to give them another call.
What's DOS?
Rfarrow2005

just a thought is it possible to use a program that is ment to over clock the GPU be used to Under clock it, making it stable/usable again?