Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

mrdarcy1 wrote:

I have just purchased a brand new T61 6460 with Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M. How can I tell if it is fitted with the faulty G64 chip.   T61 Mod 6460 Ser No:*. Your comments will be appreciated

Moderator edit: Masked serial number to prevent nefarious use.

There is no way of telling. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
philzor

I see more people here that appear to have better luck with baking their motherboard than receiving service from Lenovo. Out of curiosity, for those of you with success, which way did you orientate the motherboard, CPU socket side up or down?

Also, who here has actually talked to a rep and received any help at all? I'd like to hear at least ONE story to give me hope of talking to a Lenovo rep to have my issue resolved in a cost-effective manner.

I spent quite a pretty penny on my T61p just to have its graphics die 3 months past warranty, with no help.

Punch Card
gpig

From what I've read it's a bad idea to bake your system board/ gpu.  The odds are if you do this your computer will work again... for about 3 months and then you will have to do it again.  The next time it might last 2 months, and then your lucky if it works at all the third time.

I'll probably call Lenovo tomorrow about my T61p, and if so I'll post somewhere (probably in the 1 long beep 2 short beeps topic) about how the call went.

Punch Card
deejjoy

yeah oven baking yr system board does come @ a price. mine works but as soon as you play a video it crashes ...

What's DOS?
mhelin

Well, guess we who have no problems should propably underclock the GPU. I just made some registry hacking to max it at 400 Mz or so, but  now it's time to do the opposite...

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

All,

Please don't bake your boards.   Please call service on this issue even if you are beyond warranty.

Service is entitling based on MT & Serial number and may correctly note that you are out of warranty, however I would suggest that you politely ask them to search their tips database and see if some exception may apply.  Please be clear in explaining your symptoms.

If you are unable to receive help through service, please send me a PM.   I will need your MT & Serial and your contact information - name, address and phone.  If you bake your boards and then have trouble, I really can't help.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Fanfold Paper
nareshkanduri

Have the exact same problem

I tried everything ( except baking my board) from re-installing the drivers to getting a new fan- heatsink assembly etc.

Nothing seem to help.

I called service desk for one last time and the guy who spoke to me was super rude and essentially told me the same thing that I already knew. Warranty has expired and they will take a look if I pay 575 bucks :-(

I emailed Mark , will let you know if I hear something back!

Fanfold Paper
nareshkanduri

[ Edited ]

I just got a call from Lenovo Service desk supervisor ( John Mxxxxxxxx) and he pretty much showed no interest in listening to what the problem was. I even tried to mention about this thread and how this is such a prevalent problem.

Didn't really phase him that much and pretty much told me that they can't do anything if the machine is out of warranty.

How insensitive!

Moderator note; full name of Lenovo employee edited in accordance with the forum rules

Fanfold Paper
t61longtimeuser

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

All,

Please don't bake your boards.   Please call service on this issue even if you are beyond warranty.

Service is entitling based on MT & Serial number and may correctly note that you are out of warranty, however I would suggest that you politely ask them to search their tips database and see if some exception may apply.  Please be clear in explaining your symptoms.

If you are unable to receive help through service, please send me a PM.   I will need your MT & Serial and your contact information - name, address and phone.  If you bake your boards and then have trouble, I really can't help.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark, 

I actually have the same problem as depicted on this thread. I sent my laptop T61 which is out of warranty for repair.  Lenovo tech service identified the problem as being the NVIDIA chipset and just called me to propose two options:

1) repair it for $475 or

2) send it back un-repaired!

I explained as you indicated that the issue is well known, that they should look at their tips database and described that many users are having the same problem but they did not take this into account. 

I am using Lenovo for a long time and hope very much that I can have this issue resolved as no cost.

Please help!  I will PM you.

Thanks!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

nareshkanduri wrote:

I just got a call from Lenovo Service desk supervisor ( John Mxxxxxxxx) and he pretty much showed no interest in listening to what the problem was. I even tried to mention about this thread and how this is such a prevalent problem.

Didn't really phase him that much and pretty much told me that they can't do anything if the machine is out of warranty.

How insensitive!

Moderator note; full name of Lenovo employee edited in accordance with the forum rules

Well call again, you have to be persistent with these people.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft