Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Xander_25
Accepted Solution

T61 Power Issues

Good Afternoon all,

I've got a Lenovo T61 Series notebook; Type 7658-18U. Recently, when I try to power it on, the post screen displays for a few seconds, then the unit cuts off. I've removed the hard disk thinking that may be the source of the issue, however, that did not help. I am unsure as to what else can be the issue; I may try reseating the ram modules later on, does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this problem? Any help would appreciated. Thanks.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: T61 Power Issues

Make sure you have a good ac power adapter, and removing all drives and accessories is a good thing to try, but if the problem persists, you may have a bad system board.

As for the ram, I'd definitely try it, but ram is usually good or bad, I haven't seen a bad sodimm cause a machine to post for a few seconds then shut off. 

Good luck

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

take off the main battery, and power on the laptop with only the AC adapter attached, does it still exhibit the same behaviour?

If so, take out the ram and start the laptop without the ram, does it beep?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
Xander_25

Good Day, I did try removing the battery and powering it on, and it came on... OS is corrupted though, but I already did a back up, so that's no issue. I will leave it on overnight after re-doing the OS and see if it cuts off again. I will then re-install the battery and see if it functions normally, or cuts off; if it does cut off with the battery, I assume I may need to replace it. I'll report back if any further issues. I apologize for the late response, been a busy week at our I.T. Dept. Thanks for the assistance!

Blue Screen Again
Xander_25

Hi all,

After trying the suggestions, it worked for a bit and I was able to re-install the OS, but after a few minutes, the same issue arose again: it began cutting off again. I am strongly convinced now that the mainboard is shot and will possibly look at purchasing a new one laptop. Thanks to you all for your assistance.