Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
edymihai86

T61 Power On Password ... can`t reset it

I used to have 2 passwords, one on the hard drive and one for the Power On. But I was never asked about them, every time using the fingerprint. Yesteday I have just re-installed the Windows. I shutted down the laptop and when I need it opened I found that I need to put my passwords. I couldn`t remember the Power On Password.

I searched on the net and found this link

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-59377

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Remove the battery pack.
  3. Remove the backup battery.
  4. Turn on the computer and wait until the POST ends. After the POST ends, the password prompt does not appear. The POP has been removed.
  5. Reinstall the backup battery and the battery pack.

I did exactly what they say for reseting the Power On Password. Or maybe I might missunderstand the POST meaning. I thought this means the Icon where I am asked about the Power On Password. Am I right? If not, what does "POST ends" means? Because I am sure that this message for the password won`t dissapear. 

Please let me know what should I do in this case.

andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 630

Re: T61 Power On Password ... can`t reset it

[ Edited ]

edymihai86, welcome to the forum,

POST stands for Power On Self Test, a routine where the system checks the present hardware before loading the operating system. It is normally recognisable as this is when the BIOS splash screen is displayed showing the IBM, ThinkPad or Lenovo logos.

What does the Icon look like that you are seeing?

Edit; typo

Message Edited by andyP on 02-20-2009 09:37 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
edymihai86

Hi,

Thank you for being here with me, helping with this big problem. Searching on the net all day, I figuered out that this is the sign for the Power on Password. It`s the computer image and the lock. I did everything they say. I turned off the laptop, got out the main battery and the little internal battery (yellow like a little watch, under the keypad). I powered on the laptop with the AC (only with it)... charging the POST (s you said with the red Lenovo logo). Then it is asking for the HDD Password, which I know. After that is asking for the Power on Password, which I don`t remember. I tried it 3 hours but I can`t remember it. What should I do?

andyP

it would be helpful if you could post which T-Series system you have, even better post the Type and Model Number.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
edymihai86

It is a IBM Lenovo T61, TYPE 7664-18G it`s this enough?
andyP

I'm really sorry, :smileysad:  but we are dealing with the supervisor password, the most secure password on a ThinkPad. The pictures on the site you linked to are unfortunately a little outdated.

You will need to remember this password and delete it in BIOS. The forum rules forbid discussion on this subject. Discussion of the POP, (Power On Password), is permitted as this is openly published for all to see. e.g. the site you linked to.

You may be able to get some assistance from support if you call them.

Unfortunately, in accordance with the rules, I am locking this thread.

I wish you luck and hope you can resolve this.

Regards

Andy  

PepperonI blog