Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
yaminp
Accepted Solution

T61 Speaker not working

Hi All

I make a big mistake with plug my headset into my T61 as the result my Speaker now not working.

I can only hear sound if I plug my headset back.

Can anyone advice how to fix my stupidity ?

regards

yamin

What's DOS?
lizhhsteve

Re: T61 Speaker not working

There is something wrong in the outlet. Try to put your headphone in the outlet carefuly and then take it out gentelly, maybe it can work.
What's DOS?
yaminp

no luck,

I try as gentle as possible, still only hear a sound when plug my headset

Token Ring

Go into the <control panel><sound devices>and in the volume tab <advanced> make sure that there are speakers selected. Hopefully it's something simple like that.

ThinkPad T23, 2647 HU8, Based on 2647-8RU: PIII-M 1.20GHz (512KB), 512MB RAM, 40.0GB HDD, 14.1 XGA(1024x768) TFT LCD, 8x8x24x/8x CDRW/DVD, Modem(MPCI), Ethernet(CDC), WinXP Home, Linksys Wireless B adapter.
Punch Card
DaveG11th

What lizhsteve was hinting at is the following: the headphone jack has internal switches that open the circuit to the TP's speakers when you insert a headphone plug. The switching is done with a simple mechanical means. When the plug in inserted, it moves the headphone contacts outward, breaking contact with (probably) 2 internal fingers. When it is working right, the headphone contacts touch the internal fingers, closing the L+R audio circuits and powering the TP's speakers. (See the schematic on the lower left on http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300484.pdf  When the headphone is plugged in, 2 (tip) and 3 (ring) spread outward, breaking the contact between 2 and A and between 3 and B. A and B are what I'm calling the internal, or switch, fingers.)

Your jack is probably bent internally. Either the plug contacts are not returning all the way back to the switch fingers, or the switch fingers themselves are bent.

A final possibility is that the jack has partially torn loose from the motherboard, so that, in the schematic above, A and B no longer are soldered. This is not likely, however.

It would be easy enough to replace the jack IF you have TP disassembly skills and can reach the motherboard AND the jack is a standard one (so you can find a replacement) AND you have soldering skills.

There is a slight possibility that a gentle rotary motion with a wooden or plastic toothpick -- GENTLE so you do not break the toothpick -- might bring the contacts back into operation. By "rotary" I do not meant "twirl," but more like the motion of a mortar in a mortar and pestle.

Dave

T42 2373-K1U

Windows XP Pro
What's DOS?
yaminp

Hi Dave,

Thanks your advice solve the problem..

I used toothpick

regards

yamin

Paper Tape
jbone

Hi Dave,

you also saved my day! A simple paper clip did the work, thanks!

What's DOS?
Callipygian

Same here, thanks Dave!

jmg
What's DOS?
jmg

Rather than using a toothpick or paperclip, I slowly inserted my headphone jack until I heard music and then I gently rotated the jack until it dislodged the stuck switch.  Thanks for the tip, Dave.

What's DOS?
lnsywgnr

Headphones worked great getting the speakers to work.  Thanks for posting