Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
globalkiwi

Re: T61 Support SATA II ?

Nando,  I'd be willing to give it a try - if you were willing to lay out a more simple step-by-step formula.  I've never used baredit.
SCSI Port
nando4

[ Edited ]

I've updated the instructions on NBR to hopefully make it easier. Still requires some level of expertise to do it. Please refer to NBR post.

Message Edited by nando4 on 05-25-2009 10:18 PM
Punch Card
globalkiwi

Thanks, I'd actually seen that (before I asked about a simplified version!).  Let me have a more careful read through & see if I feel confortable giving it a whirl.  I'm about to do a clean install of Win7 on my T61P so have a window for exploration.
Punch Card
ChrisK15

Has anyone tried this method with baredit yet? I'm really curious.
Punch Card
globalkiwi

No-one yet - care to volunteer?
What's DOS?
SirK

I just opened a case with Lenovo on this. I wasn't expecting them to have a solution, but I figured if we all bug them enough about this, then maybe they will do something about it. The tech said he couldn't find any information that the T61p I have is supposed to have SATA II capabilities. I told him I would find some information on it and call back.

I'm sure there's info on this somewhere in the forums, but I if anyone has any links handy so I can call Lenovo back and show them, please let me know.

I'm getting about 110MB/s on my new G Skill Falcon, which is a real bummer considering what it's capable of. It's still good, but I could have put that nearly $400 after tax and shipping towards a new laptop. My friends on MAC are going to give me crap for this, since they are able to take full advantage of their SSDs. 

I really do hope Lenovo steps up to the plate with this, at least in acknowledging the issue and giving a clear cut and official answer one way or another. My last 4 laptops have been thinkpads and I still love my T61p, but I find it annoying that after so much time it still feels like they are just ignoring this issue.

SCSI Port
nando4

>>I'm sure there's info on this somewhere in the forums, but I if anyone has any links handy so I can call Lenovo back and show them, please let me know.

Could point Lenovo's BIOS coders to Enabling 3Gbps mode on the ICH8M SATA Controller to help them along. 

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

SirK,

This issue as been answered officially, and previously in this thread.  The Santa Rosa systems - T61, etc, do not support 3.0 Gb/s data transfer rates.  110-130MB/s is going to by typical throughput.

As this thread has continued on, I'm going to mark my answer as the solution for the benefit of those who aren't reading through an increasingly lengthy discussion (for understandable reasons) and simply want to know throughput on this system..  The Lenovo position is that the system is working as designed and performing to specification.  

I'm going to suggest that if there are portions of this thread that members want to explore further, that new, focused discussions be started.

Thanks,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
lindley

T61p and SATA Issue

I've just read Lenovo's stance on SATA 3.0 limitation / feature.  What I gather from this are the following:  a) the system is working as designed, b) the BIOS will not be updated to include / enable the SATA 3.0 speed in the future, c) and no longer will there will open discussion to correct the issue.

I bought my first Lenovo product (T61p) on Sep '07 thinking that Lenovo is top of the line business laptop, and would be a wise investment for the future. However, after further research in purchasing the X25 SSD from Intel for the T61p, I've become dissapointed of the capped SATA I speed.  According to various Lenovo literature, the chipset is at ICH8M-Enhanced I/O Controller Hub (SATA 3.0 Gb/s).  Nowhere did I see the limited "SATA 1.5 Gb/s."  In the various current literature from Lenovo, this ommission is still prevalent.  Essentially, I feel Lenovo has misrepresented the feature sets of which I based my purchasing decision on - the specs.

At this point, I will contact Lenovo Sales to explain the issue of misrepresentation.  If I do not receive the proper support for the product, I will then proceed to contact the Attorney General in my state.  I will explore all possible avenue including possibility for a Class Action Lawsuit.

I feel very dissapointed.  I was even contemplating of buying a Windows 7 based Tablet this year from Lenovo, but this issue has prevented me from being a Lenovo customer again.  Based on the various comments here, I am not the only one who has these sentiments.

Lenovo, do what is right and release the option to unlock / uncap the 3.0 Gb/s capability of the system.  Provide your loyal customers the option at least in the BIOS, or allow me to get a refund on my product which I have a 3 year warranty on.

This is all about customer service, loyalty, and proper advertisement and disclosure.  Ultimately, this is about doing what's right.

Thank you.

Paper Tape
lindley

SATA Subject and Sales/Technical Support Loop

I just contacted Technical Support, and they said to uncap the 1.5 Gb/s limitation (to enable 3 Gb/s), I need to contact Sales since its a sales related issue I have - incorrect advertised specs.  I did that, and they said to contact Technical Support again.  They have put me in a loop.  How do I get this resolve?  Can anyone help or is this really the new Lenovo?