Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
cdmlb

T61 T61P or other using SSD with 1.5Gbps Cap

I have read many forums about the cap on the Thinkpads that its SATA-II 3.0Gbps capped to SATA-I 1.5Gbps.

Most people blame Lenovo for this cap and people that have SSD want the full 3.0Gbps and to remove the 1.5Gbps cap for the main drive bay, who cares about the ultrabay cap, I don't.

Most people go on the Intel website, and the ICH8 info says 3 ports for mobile SATA-II at full 3.0Gbps.

Because of this people say it's Lenovo that f-tuped, and to remove the so called cap using bios updates etc.

I felt like Lenovo did something bad since I want to update my ram to either 4GB or 8GB, but that's another subject, and to get a good SSD and I find all the people saying there is a cap.

I look in the real pdf Intel spec sheats for Santa Rosa PM965 chip sets and ICH8.

Intel® I/O Controller Hub 8 (ICH8) Specification Update - for the Intel® 82801HB ICH8, 82801HR ICH8R, 82801HDH ICH8DH, 82801HDO ICH8DO, 82801HBM ICH8M, and 82801HEM ICH8M-E I/O Controller Hubs
This document is an update to the specifications contained in the Intel® I/O Controller Hub 8 (ICH8) Family Datasheet. This document is a compilation of device and documentation errata, specification clarifications and changes. It is intended for hardware system manufacturers and software developers of applications, operating systems, or tools.
File Type/Size:  PDF 316KB
Intel® I/O Controller Hub 8 (ICH8) Family Datasheet

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/313057.pdf

Everything in that document says SATA Gen1 voltage speeds 1.5Gbps, there is no talk what so ever about 3.0Gbps speeds in the official intel chipset spec sheets for supporting 3.0Gbps, I think some intel info on their site is wrong and needs to be update like their pdf files, I don't think it's a Lenovo problem, it seems to be more of a chipset limitation for that generation.

But then you find other Intel documents ICH8 that also states up to 3.0Gbps Gen2 and Gen1 1.5Gbps both ar supported.

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/313056.pdf

I hate it, Lenovo and mostly Intel documents contradict themselves.

I wish and hope I am wrong and there is support for 3.0Gbps, and Lenovo or intel would come up with bios fix

Maybe Lenovo wired the chipset wrong or something for pins, and that's why a bios fix would not fix anything lmfao lol, because the second document shows what pins are for Gen1 and Gen2 SATA lmfao lol.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Re: T61 T61P or other using SSD with 1.5Gbps Cap

Lenovo is not going to give out updates to allow your T61 or T61p to run at full sataII, but apart from some synthetic benchmark that yields some improvement on the SATAI versus SATAII, in real life use it did not matter so much.

I am not sure why you are discussing this issue again, since T61 is two generations old, and your discussion is not going to do anything but inflame public opinions on this issues, which is not helpful and waste of everyone's time. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
ChrisK15

Just because it's "old" doesn't mean it isn't relevant. I would still love an update for this but it's not that important, especially since almost all data speeds seen in Windows are less than 150MB/s.

Paper Tape
cdmlb

You say it's two gens old but I bought this right from Lenovo in late 2009.

If you would keep up to date with every new gen, you would buy a new laptop every 1 to 3 months.

Different versions of the same chi set or new chipsets change even quicker compared to the actual CPUs themselves.

Who wants to spend 1500 to 2500 for a good current gen laptop every 1 to 3 months.

RAM is cheap today, and SSD are going down in price.

And I only brought it up not to cause problems, I was trying to show that Lenovo does not have control over the situation.

People are saying the same for other Lenovo Laptops that are not even 6 months old yet, not just the T61 have the problem, it effects hundreds of Lenovo models/config types for laptops.

If you look up on google, people talk about all the time on threads even still today.

My laptop still kicks the ass of most new laptops that just came out this second, all it is is new features that no one even uses or knows about.

I will only prob buy a new laptop when the prices are cut in two, and by that time new Lenovo models will come out a few months after, but who wants to buy 2500 to 3500 laptop.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

[ Edited ]

While it is two generation old, if you bought in the late 2009, then it is most likely from the clearance stock. The T61 was superseded by T400, which is itself been replaced T61, which was released back in 2007. 

I use my T61 everyday, no one say it is a bad machine, nor should you worry about the SATAI limit. 

SATAI and SATAII limit is not going to really affect you in the real world application and daily use. SSD is still going to blow the platter hdd out of the water no matter SATAI and SATAII.

You can always seating their procrastinate over spec, or just make the most of the T61. 

Moderator edit: Removed large block quote of previous message.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
durylmartin

Has anyone done a clean install of windows 7 on these machines.  I recently rebuilt several laptops-installing windows 7 and x25m's.  The real world difference in performance is incredible.  Most of the drivers were already present in those installs.  We are using several of the t61p's in my software group and we would like to upgrade if the drives would work with windows 7 installed minus some of the lenovo drivers.