Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
MitkoS
Accepted Solution

T61 - Unsuccessful attempt to upgrade HDD using "Acronis True Image - Disc clone".

T61, Win XP Pro,

Problems with the free space on HDD - the original factory disk(160GB) is full more than 90%.

There are a lot of existing user settings and user information on the HDD - specific settings for different network environments (home network, corporate network, VPN, etc.), specific applications, many drivers for specific devices, many documents and pictures, and other information.

So, we need to upgrade the disk, but we do not want to recover to factory state - we want to keep all the existing user setting and user information.

The existing disk was dismounted and connected to a standard desktop PC.

And using "Acronis True Image Home" the existing disk was cloned to new disk WD Scorpio Black 320GB.

There were not any errors during the cloning process.

But when we mounted the new disk to the laptop, the operating system didn't start - black screen with blinking cursor only (blinking white dash in upper left corner). So, we mounted back the old disk, to be able to work.

After cloning, we see on the new disk everything is similar as it is on the old disk. There are two partition - hidden system partition, partition with WinXP and all the user folders and documents. So, we think the problem is only in a "booting part".

Can anybody hints us what is the problem.

Or hints us for other solution how to upgrade the disk, but without going to factory state.

Thank you

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: T61 - Unsuccessful attempt to upgrade HDD using "Acronis True Image - Disc clone".

Hi MitkoS, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Try a "reverse clone" as described in the Acronis forums:

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/4196#comment-5187

You'll also find other good advice there on ThinkPad upgrade problems!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Paper Tape
MitkoS

Re: T61 - Unsuccessful attempt to upgrade HDD using "Acronis True Image - Disc clone".

Thank you bananaman.

Following your advise, I read a lot of topic in acronis.com forums today, and as I see, there are also other people with the same problem (Thinkpad and blinking cursor after cloning/restoring).

http://kb.acronis.com/content/2931 - there is KB-information about laptops and in fact, about the "reverse cloning".

Earlier today I bought an external USB-to-SATA case.

I will try the "reverse cloning" the next Saturday. And if it is successful, I will write a message in this forum.

Once again, thank you.

Serial Port
LenovoT60User

I suggest using a "CMS Data Transfer Kit", manufactured by CMS Products, Inc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CMS-Operating-System-transfer-Notebook/dp/B001NPCYH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=el...

I have used this at least three times and it has worked faultlessly.  It includes a software CD, all cables and a caddy.

I am a relative novice and the posts on the Acronis forum are way over my head.  I couldn't even attempt that.

If yuor hard disk is being used up, check the RnR settings.

Suggest that you do not use a 7,200 rpm hard disk as they are reputed to be more prone to the Windows B.S.O.D. than 5,400 rpm disks.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

LenovoT60User wrote:

Suggest that you do not use a 7,200 rpm hard disk as they are reputed to be more prone to the Windows B.S.O.D. than 5,400 rpm disks.

Not sure where you heard this repute! There's no evidence to support this - sounds like an urban myth!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

[ Edited ]

I had similar problems in the past and did a boot from the original Windows DVD, then started the recovery console. Cannot remember the exact command i used, but could have been the fixmbr command that finish in less than a second and that solved the problem for me. My guess is that the mbr is the problem and if fixed everything should work fine.

I also have to add that i agree with bananaman with regards to the statement from LenovoT60User. I never ever heard such a statement before and as far as i know there is no proof/fact that will support such a statement.

-gan

Paper Tape
MitkoS

"fixmbr" (and "fixboot") didn't solve the problem - it was the first action I tried.

Is it possible to use Thinkpad builtin backup/restore to transfer all the user settings to new disk ?

I am asking this, because after the cloning, it was possible first to rearange the hidden service partition to be placed at the end of the new disk (using  Partition Magic) and then with "Thinkpad Blue Button + F11" to recover Windows to the factory state, but the logical disk C: to be fully expanded to capacity of the new disk.

And after that, if it is possible to use Thinkpad backup/restore to restore the user setting exactly as they are on the old disk (?) .

Paper Tape
MitkoS

The "reverse cloning" solved the problem.

Many, many, many thank you bananaman.

After cloning, I also moved the hidden service partition at the end of the new disk and expanded the Windows partition to occupy all free space as one partition (I used Partition Magic). And I confirm, everything is as we want - new disk (bigger and faster), user setting are identical, a lot of free space. And in this moment, we finally are able to run defrag (it denied to work with the old disk, because there was not enough free space)

I wish to add a small note for the people with the same problem who will read this somewhere in the future.

To be able to start Acronis True Image Home, it is important the SATA-disk and the external USB-disk to present in the list with the booting devices in BIOS (BIOS/Starting/Boot). Otherwise, Acronis TI is not able to recognize these disks and restarts automatically without any warnings.

I apologize for my poor English.

Punch Card
nirn

Hi,

I failed cloning my T61 HDD to a new WD scorpio black addition (500GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD).

If anyone had a better experience, please specify the model of your new HDD,

and the cloning software you have used so I could reproduce your steps.

Thanks a lot,

Nir 

Bit Torrent
TuuS

I suspect your solution is already posted above.

Also, while your doing this, I'd recommend NOT using all available space for your windows drive. You'd be far better to store your data in a separate partition, then if you ever have to reformat and install windows, your valuable data won't be touched. Also, installing windows twice (in both partitons), will allow you to scan either partition for data recovery or repair, since it's best to not repair/recover from the same partition your booting from. an extra hour of setup time can make your life much easier when future problems arise.

In fact, I normally install several windows and linux versions, each in their own partition.

TuuS

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)