Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
JLBeamish

T61 - Want to start again (factory refresh)

I'll provide the background below, but I'll start with my request so that you don't have to read a lot of bumpf at first!

I want to "refresh" my T61 XP SP2 so that it uses the factory install.  I've backed up all the data files onto some DVD's (standard Win Backup process).  I know I'll have to reinstall my software and restore the data files after reinstalling the factory image reload.

I have run the R&R process and ended up with a "boot" (for lack of a better term) Rescue and Recovery DVD and 2 DVD's which the process told me to label as "Product Recovery Disk 1" and "Disk 2".

I have a (fairly strong) preference for doing the refresh from the "info" on the hard drives.  Is this possible? 

If it is, then could somebody please point me to a link or provide some step-by-step instructions to reinstall the factory load. 

If it is not possible, then could someone confirm that the DVDs I created in the R&R process will give me a factory restored image on my machine.

Thanks for your assistance, guidance and help.

Reason for wanting to do a factory refresh:

If you've read this far then you might be interested in why I want to do this.

1.  I have posted an issue here (but never got a solution) where my T61 will not hibernate.  It starts the process and then displays a diagnostic saying that the Bluetooth driver is causing problems.  You can see it in this thread:

I *think* the problem may have been caused by the drivers that were installed when I first loaded the Bluetooth mouse.  I want to try again using the factory load which *may* have a generic Bluetooth driver that will work and will allow me to hibernate.  (If you want to know, the mouse is a Microsoft Notebook Mouse 5000.)

2.  I have not posted another issue but it may be the same sort of problem.  Before installing the Bluetooth drivers I used to get a similar error diagnostic about the modem.  I think that, right now, the problem with the Bluetooth driver is the first problem that happens during the hibernate process and, since it stops the hibernate process, the modem problem never gets a chance to show itself!

Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Re: T61 - Want to start again (factory refresh)

During system startup press the Thinkvantage button or the F11 button, go into Rescue and Recovery, restore to factory condition. That will restore from the hard drive. If that does not work boot to the discs you made and it will wipe the drive, reinstall the restore partition, tell you to remove the disc and restart, then go into Rescue and Recovery and restore to factory condition.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Serial Port
JLBeamish

Thanks, Carbon_Unit.  After pressing the "ThinkVantage" button, I had to look around a bit to find the specific option but -- once I had found it -- it was smooth sailing.  I appreciate your pointing me in the right direction (new machine, new processes, different approaches ... it's terra "somewhat" incognita to me).

Best of all, the factory refresh does contain a generic Bluetooth driver that works with the mouse I have.  Net result:  factory refresh lets me use my bluetooth mouse, doesn't have problems with modem and does let me hibernate.  A few software reinstalls and I'll be completely reinstalled.

For others reading this thread, it took about 45 minutes or so to do the complete factory refresh.  Lots of reboots near the end.

(Since I have a bunch of software updates that need to be done, I'll be checking to see if I can determine which one caused the hibernate problem I was experiencing.  Now that I know the process, any subsequent Rescue and Recovery sessions should be straight forward.)
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

I'm glad you got it figured out.
Please install updates one at a time, testing for the problem with each update until you find the culprit. Then report back once you have identified the problem. If others can reproduce the problem it is possible this can be avoided in future updates.
Your help will be appreciated.:smileywink:

Serial Port
JLBeamish

[ Edited ]
Been rather busy recently.  Have just got around to doing the refresh and some testing.

To others reading this thread, the factory refresh went _almost_ smoothly the first time.  Part way through, you are prompted to enter a security password.  During the first refresh, I did that.  Afterwards, I would periodically get a prompt from the Security module (and isn't it always the story:  I don't have the exact terminology so you may not be able to easily identify what I'm talking about if you haven't already seen it.)  No matter what I entered in the password field, it was rejected as a mismatch.

So I did a second refresh and when the prompt came up, I clicked on "Cancel".  That seems to have worked.

I have now done my first set of Lenovo updates and my machine continues to correctly hibernate.  The list is posted below and you will see that I did NOT attempt to update the modem or the Bluetooth drivers. 

I am about to do that.  But before I do, I would like to know if there is an easy way to "de-install" them or roll back to a previous "image" if they prove to be problematic.  Once I get an answer to that question, then I will proceed with the install and test hibernation.

The two items I will be installing appeared under the "Recommended" tab of the ThinkVantage updates. 

*** ThinkPad modem software
*** ThinkPage Bluetooth with enhanced data rate software

Here's the complete list of potential updates with a "Y" to indicate the ones I did select.

(Note:  TV = ThinkVantage, TP = ThinkPad, RnR = Rescue and Recovery)

Display of updates
   Critical (2)
    Y  ThinkPad BIOS update
    Y  RnR patch to optime space allocation of backups

Recommended (14)
    Y  ThinkVantage Productivity Center
      TP modem s/w
      TP Bluetooth with enhanced data rate software
      Intel Matrix sorage manager driver for WinXP/Vista32
    Y  PC-Doctor 5 for Windows
      Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn, abg,bg) for Win2000/XP
      Intel PRO/1000 LAN adapter software for Win2000 and XP
      Enable Wake on LAN from Sleep for Energy Star V4
    Y  TP Power Manager
    Y  TV Access connections version 4.52
    Y  TP EasyEject utility
    Y  Presentation Director
    *  TP hotkey features setup     * = another choice made this active
    *  TP Power management driver

Optional (14)
      Adobe Flash player plugin
      Adobe Flash player ActiveX
    Y  WinDVD 5 update
    Y  TP Audio Features XII for Win2000/XP
    Y  InterVideo WinDVD upgrade
      TV System Migration Assistant
    Y  TV RnR (English)
    Y  TV Client Security Solution XP/2K
    Y  WinDVD Creator update
    Y  TV RnR update
    Y  Help Center
      TP UltraNav Utility
      TP UltraNav Driver
      TP Keyboard Customizer Utility

Extras (0)

Message Edited by JLB on 04-18-2008 08:27 AM
Serial Port
JLBeamish

Now that I've done all the other updates (see message above), I have also (successfully -- as you will see in a moment) installed the updated Bluetooth driver and my system will go into hibernate mode.

In (approximate) sequence, here's what I did and learned after I had done the major software update described in the message above this.

I started up the ThinkVantage Productivity Center and selected Update My system. It goes out and downloads the list of updates that your system may require

Now there were only a handful of programs and I choose the "ThinkPad Bluetooth with advanced data rate software" item. On that screen you can click on a small "+" sign to the left and it opens up the display showing several pieces of information (such as the size) and a link named "View Details". I clicked on that and up pops a NotePad-like display of all sorts of info.

And buried deep within that popup is probably the cause and the solution to my hibernate problem.

>>>>> It tells you to uninstall the current version of the software.

I wonder how many other Lenovo-sourced software downloads have that instruction buried inside the info file?

So ... I did a copy&paste to a Notepad file and saved it (the popup display doesn't offer the opportunity to save the file), I flagged the item for download (check box just to the left of the software name), I flagged the item for "Defer Installation" (checkbox that is displayed only when you open up the display for the item) and went through the download process.

When the download was complete, I followed the uninstall instructions in the saved Notepad file.

I *think* there was a prompt that my machine needed to be restarted (can't remember). In any event, I restarted my machine.

I *think* there was a prompt that I had a deferred install (can't remember) but, in any event, the Lenovo software was installed.

Then I opened the Bluetooth folder and let it rediscover my mouse. Once that was done, I tried to hibernate.

I was successful! I rebooted (just in case) and tried to hibernate again. I was successful!

Moral of the story (lesson learned): before you download a software update from Lenovo, click on "View Details" and check out the comments to see if something has to be uninstalled before the new software is installed. And if it has to be uninstalled before the new software is uninstalled, click on the "defer installation" check box.

I would have thought that the installation of an updated driver would automatically uninstall an earlier version -- but, apparently -- NOT!
Serial Port
JLBeamish

[ Edited ]
I started this thread because my T61 wouldn't hibernate and I wanted to do a factory refresh.  With the guidance provided by Carbon_Unit, I did successfully refresh my T61 and, once again, my T61 would hibernate.  But, eventually, it would throw an error message and wouldn't hibernate so I'd have to do yet another refresh.  I kept track of the things I was doing trying to find the cause.  Eventually, I thought I had it sorted out and described the scenario. 

It turns out tht I was wrong because last night, once again, it wouldn't hibernate!

I'll keep this thread focused on factory refresh and I'll point you to the answer to my hibernate problems in my other related ( "Bluetooth won't hibernate" ) thread which you will find here:

Here's a hint:  I won't be using Intuit software again.

Note from Moderator:  Converted to clickable link.

Message Edited by JLB on 04-20-2008 03:08 PM

Message Edited by JLB on 04-20-2008 03:08 PM

Message Edited by nonny on 04-20-2008 06:34 PM
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

JLB wrote:
I
Here's a hint:  I won't be using Intuit software again.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
You aren't the first person to say that, and you won't be the last. They get worse every year.