Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
Bajpai

T61, Windows Vista SP1 and Intel Turbo Memory

The Vista SP1 is being applied to various systems. Many members would have also upgraded their systems to Vista SP1. I am curious to learn whether SP1 results in any improved performance on the systems equipped with Intel Turbo Memory.

I ask this because on various boards across the internet, it is suggested, that Microsoft would take its unfinished job with Turbo Memory to its logical place.

Any increase in performance in this area would be very interesting indeed.

Sushil
Sushil

Re: T61, Windows Vista SP1 and Intel Turbo Memory

my comment does not answer ur question, but I can say for one thing that i was upset with:  the fact that I ordered a system w/ WinXP but was not informed that turbo memory does not work on XP.  Kind of wasted my cash buying that extra device. A WAN card would have been nicer.
T61_Wide | Model No. 7662 - CTO
Core 2 Duo T7250 | 2GB OCZ DDR2-800
82566MM Gigabit | 4965AGN Centrino Pro
Serial Port
Bajpai

I am surprised that this happened with you. When I ordering my T61, the configurator at Lenovo US site would not permit me to choose the combination of XP and TurboMemory on the same machine.

I understand (I may be wrong though) that at least one utility is now available that lets XP use Turbo Memory. I will paste the link if I find it. In the meanwhile just Google and see if you get to use TurboMem with XP.

Sushil
Sushil

Oh, there's a utility to do that?  That would be great if you can send that link along if u still have it!
Serial Port
Bajpai

I was looking for any new information that might be available on Intel Turbo Memory, when I stumbled upon the following link:

If you look down the list it lists an application called eBooster, which claims to do for Windows XP what Windows Vista tries to achieve through readyboost.

Visting http://www.eboostr.com/ provides some more information. There is no specific mention of Intel TurboMemory. However description suggests that it might be the case.

I'd be interested in knowing if this worked for you.

Sushil
Sushil

wow, that looks great, thanks!!

Sadly, I took out my turbo memory chip and gave it to my brother already.. lol.  I'll have to try to get another one to see if it'll work.  Sad the lenovo doens't sell those things individually.  aftermarket is the way to go ...
Serial Port
Bajpai

Turbo memory chips are already available in market in the market independent of Lenovo. I should think that the prices will come further down in months to come, particularly because many reviews have dubbed the Turbo Memory as a mere gimmick. There is also talk of 2GB Turbo Memory chips coming in the market.

There are many T61 owners who have to downgrade to Windows XP because the applications they run don't like Vista. We should see some of them pick up the utility and try on their machines.

Fortunately it available as try and buy piece of software.

Sushil
Sushil

[ Edited ]
Here is an update regarding eboostr. I am copying a message I just received from ebboostr support. The content is self explnatory.

So may be you did the right thing gifting the TurboMemory to your brother.

Hello Sushil,

Unfortunately we do not support Intel Turbo Memory yet, but our

developers are working on it.  This is a most anticipating

feature we're being asked about, so you will be notified when

it is ready.

Thank you,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

eBoostr Support Service,

mailto:support@eboostr.com

http://www.eBoostr.com/support/

Note from Moderator:  I removed the name of the person who sent you the e-mail.  Read the rules paying particular attention to the part about privacy, and adhere to them.

Message Edited by nonny on 02-18-2008 08:28 AM
Sushil
aka

[ Edited ]
Hello everyone,

I have related TM questions. I simply have not been able to find any clear documentation on the Intel or Windows sites, so I may be asking some totally newb questions, but I'd appreciate advice, as it's really left me scratching my head.

I purchased my T61p purportedly with 1GB Robson memory installed. The information I can glean leads me to believe that it is either not functioning properly, or is not, in fact, 1GB.

I'm running a very fresh/clean dual-boot install of Vista x64 SP1 (RTM) and Windows Server 2008 x64:

1. Under Computer Management --> Device Manager --> Storage Controllers, it does list the Intel Turbo Memory. That seems fine, although there is no "Flash Cache Logic Chip" controller listed.

2. However, under Computer Management --> Disk Management, I have a listing for Disk 1 that puts it at 513MB in size. So Disk 1 is NOT 1GB in size, yet it appears to correspond to the device listed under Device Manager --> Disk Drives, called IMD-0, which is the Intel Turbo Memory chip, according to the device details.

3. The ReadyBoost box in the Turbo Memory controller is set at DISABLED, even long after startup, and even when I re-check the box to enable it and reboot. According to the Intel support site, there is only one reason it will be disabled under such conditions -- I do not have more than 512MB of memory installed. Again, I have to question whether I have 1GB installed.

4. The other problem I am having is that I do not know what the default DISK FORMAT should be for the Disk 1 partition listed under Vista's Device Manager --> Disk Management utility. Currently the 513MB disk is set to "UNALLOCATED." Should I format it to NTFS, or some third choice of formats?

5. What happens if Disk 1 (the Turbo Memory chip) is ever re-formatted? How would one reenable it?

6. I do not know whether the Turbo Memory will function effectively for BOTH Windows OSes on my dual-boot laptop configuration. I assume this is not the same as SATA write caching, and it is not an issue. But if I'm wrong, is there something I must do in order to ensure that both OSes can access and use the Turbo Memory chip? Or is there a way to ensure that one OS has total control of the chip, if its contents must never be erased by the other OS?

7. Finally, in the future, is there a 3rd party support forum you guys recommend that I take Intel-related questions to for faster response?

Thanks for your assistance with this, and have a good weekend.

aka

Message Edited by aka on 02-22-2008 06:27 PM