Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
selectric
Accepted Solution

T61 broken frame/hinge

Hello all, 

I searched the forum for info, but had no luck.  Apologies if this has already been answered.

I was wondering if I have the newer (post 08/08?) MoBo in my T61, not sure how to find out using serial number.

still boots up, LCD is white, I am in the field so no VGA cable to confirm operation, but was working before hinge/frame let go...story below if you need more info...

I am a true IBM / Lenovo fan, grew up in the shadow of Poughkeepsie... Currently typing this post on a R51 I picked up for $200 in silicon valley. 

My issue is with my beloved T61. A tough life has rendered it's magnesium internal frame broken. it's had a sloppy hinge/frame for about 18 months, and finally let go. I just shipped it back to North Carolina, (have extended warranty), hoping someone there will have mercy on me and say it is fixable... 

Not sure if frame is covered under warranty, but paid enough for it warranty, so hoping for the best. if not, i really do not want to retire this machine and I am willing to shop for a e-bay frame IF the motherboard is a newer version...

Thanks for any help!

John "selectric" (If you have to ask, you are too young!)

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: T61 broken frame/hinge

Regarding your system board, there is no way to tell by looking at it, part numbers, or any other method if it's the revised gpu or not. The ONLY conclusive way is by the unit serial number/date code. 08/08 or later is good, prior is uncertain. You can made an educated guess by looking at the GPU date, but I've come to the conclusing that the old and new design gpu were produced concurrently, perhaps in different factories, or different production lines, so the chip's date alone is inconclusive.

If you need a new frame for your system, I have a couple and would be open to swaps/trades...  send me a pm if you want one.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Blue Screen Again
selectric

PM Sent..... dude, do you sleep? :smileyhappy:

Bit Torrent
TuuS

sleep you say...   I've heard much talk of this concept, but it sounds overrated if you ask me  :smileytongue:   Maybe someday i'll try it, but I figure life is short so I'll have plenty of time to rest when I'm dead   lol

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)