Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
ngloong
Accepted Solution

T61 connected to AC supply can't boot up after shut down and hibernation

My T61 has a weird issue of not being able to boot up after shut down and hibernation. I tried the following:

a) With battery and AC supply, press the power button, can't boot up from shut down and hibernation

b) With AC supply only, press the power button, can't boot up from shut down and hibernation

c) With battery only, press the power button, can boot up from shut down and hibernation

I am using XP SP2 and all the latest thinkvantage patches.

Fanfold Paper
gorbay

Re: T61 connected to AC supply can't boot up after shut down and hibernation

Hi,

I had the same problem this evening. After hibernating, the system did not start up again. The battery had 40 mins left when it hibernated. I replaced the battery and it worked fine with the AC connection only. Then, suddenly it powered down. Now, it does not start with any of the ACpower/battery combinations.

I had done all the updates including bios update before that problem occured. Using Vista home edition.

Looking forward to a reply.

Thanks.

Paper Tape
ngloong

Were you using the docking station ? I was, and suspect the heat from the docking station could have gradually "fried" the laptop's circuitry to malfunction.  

Fanfold Paper
gorbay

Nope. I wasn't using a docking station. Interestingly, when I replace the battery, I get the mains light on. When I press the power button it goes off. Instead, when I mount the battery and plugin the adapter, I have the both battery and mains lights on. Battery light makes blinks every 5 secs though.

I'm not sure what happened but there seems to be more people in the same situation. It was really unexpected from a 3 months old laptop.

Paper Tape
ngloong

Are you a heavy user, meaning, you leave the laptop powered for long period of time like days or even weeks without shutdown ? Thats my style. In contrast, there are 5 other users in my company using the same T61 like us didn't have the problem, as they power down daily and locked it up for the night. This points to the power management circuitry is screwed up, which even the latest thinkvantage or windows fixes can't solve. Hopefully, other users can register their problem here so that we can bug Lenovo to own up and replace our laptop or the motherboard for free.
Fanfold Paper
gorbay

I was not using it that much. It was always off during the nights.

Btw. today I called the technical support. We tried to discharge the electrostatic charges if any by pressing the power button 10 times and holding the 10th press for 30 seconds which did not work. The guy in tech. supp. told me that my mainboard was fried and needed replacement. They are sending me a box to ship it to the service depot. He told me that it takes 3 to 5 days most of the time for the repairs. He was very helpful, I have to say.

Nonetheless, I didn't think that laptops would have that kind of power and circutry problems since they are low power systems. But a few years back, I had an IBM thinkpad (p4 1.7GHz) which had a cracked mainboard. Is it always the mainboard that goes wrong with the IBM/Lenovo's?

Paper Tape
Bharris

I need to be added to the T60 shutdown now no boot group. This laptop was being used for quite a while and then suddenly just won't post. How much is a new motherboard anyway?

Fanfold Paper
gorbay

Did anyone updated the BIOS before the incident happens? I remembered that I switched to the latest BIOS version since it claimed it resolved the "buzzing sound from fan while on battery" problem. It might have stopped the fans and mainboard might got fried.

For pricing: http://www-03.ibm.com/support/ezserv/pricing.jsp

Paper Tape
ngloong

I didn;t update to the latest bios before my charging problems happened 
Fanfold Paper
gorbay

Unbelievably, it happen for the third time. Anyone knows whether or not they have to send a new machine in case of repetitive problems?