Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
T61owner

T61 crahes, LCD display won't work. Nvidia chipset?

Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble with my T61 (machine model 6458-4JU). I purchased the machine in August 2007 and my warranty expired in August 2010.

The problem started mostly this summer. When I watch a video on full screen (on Hulu for instance), sometimes the machine freezes and the computer shuts down but when I restart the computer works fine.

I have the Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M and apparently the problem was caused by overheating. Especially since this problem was more frequent when the weather was hot.

This Monday the same problem happened but  it was much worse, when I restarted the computer I received a black screen. If I connect the computer to an external display, I can see an image (but the colors are distorted and there are parallel lines) and I am offered two options either check for problems ( which gets me to the rescue and recovery tool) or start windows normally ( which does not work)

I was able to login on windows only a couple of times (after multiple shutdowns and restarts) and the LCD display of the laptop worked fine but after few minutes the computer crashes and the same problem happens again (black screen on startup...)

Is this problem caused by the Nvidia chipset? I have seen a thread discussing an Nvidia issue on this Forum but my problem seems different since I don't hear any beeps.

Can someone please let me know what to do? I need the computer for my everyday work and I cannot afford to by a new one.

I was hoping to use it for at least one more year.

Help! Please!

Fanfold Paper
hmau1

Re: T61 crahes, LCD display won't work. Nvidia chipset?

I definitely feel your pain. My T61P is experiencing almost the same issues. Please see my thread to check if we are having identical issues.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61P-6459-CTO-1-beep-right-before-it-pow...

Punch Card
T61owner

Thanks for your post :smileyhappy: I read your thread, I am not sure that we have the same problem but we have something in common: "when i hold down the power button to shut down, it will beep once right before it totally turns off"...

Guys, if you read this please help!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

your problem sounds like the nvidia gpu failure, however lenovo would only fix this problem if you got the 1-2-2-1 beep sequence.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
T61owner

I will try to contact customer service tomorrow and I'll post what they say. If someone can think of a solution please let me know!