Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
dmbyrne

T61 destroying hdd's?

I'm just curious - and I probably should know this myself having worked in IT for some 6 years, 4 of them with IBM -, but is it possible for a Mobo, or any part of the Mobo, to render a HDD inoperable?

Let me explain so you can understand why I may be thinking along these lines (and apologies if I ramble). I purchased a T61 (7665-13G) in June 2008 and in that time - 13 months - I have had to replace 4 SATA hard drives (a 120gb WD Scorpio, a 250gb Samsung Spinpoint, a 320gb Seagate Momentus & now a 320gb WD Scorpio Blue). There are a few common factors in all of these failures:

1 - I'm running Windows Vista Business,

2 - each and every time the system fails to boot, having worked fine up to that, it does so with a BSOD displaying various error messages (the latest one - on the 320gb WD Scorpio Blue - reads *** STOP 0x0000007B (0x80599bb0, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, but I have had a few UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME errors as well),

3 - I've NEVER been able to get the drive to reboot into the OS, no matter what Windows recovery I try (while I'm no expert I do know what I'm doing with computers),

4 - running a post-BSOD diag on the drives ALWAYS reveal bad/unrecoverable sectors (even a drive that is a few months old as was the case for the Samsung & Seagate drives).

One some of the failures I have been able to access the data on the drives by simply using an external USB caddy. Other times the drive has not been readable in that way and I've had to use software like ZAR (www.z-a-recovery.com) to attempt to access the data. It has all be a royal pain in the ass as you can probably imagine. On the latest failed drive - the WD Scorpio Blue which failed last Thursday having been in the system for all of 2 months - I dual booted with Ubuntu in case the problem would persist and give me a way to easily access the data on the Vista partition. It worked; while Vista won't load thanks to the aforementioned BSOD the Linux install does and I was able to access the data on the Vista partition. 

I've read on the forums that there are BSOD issues with the T61 but from what I've read it's more of an annoyance that anything else; people can still access their systems and perform various software fixes (deactivating the APS, updating the BIOS - which I've done -, updating the Intel Turbo Memory/device matrix etc etc), a luxury I've never had. 

So, does anyone have any ideas what may be my issue? I have logged a service call with Lenovo support (& it took 4 failed HDD's to push me to that) and they are due on-site today to replace the mobo. I probably should have looked for advice here prior to calling them but hey. I've been a ThinkPad user for as long as I've used computers, and well before they became made-in-China pieces; I've had a 600 series, a few 700 series, an X21, a T21, a T22 (best machine ever), & an R51... & I never had issues up until now. Any ideas/input? Could it in any way be the software, which I've always keept upto date. 

Thanks!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

Re: T61 destroying hdd's?

R51 is made in China, and most of the later Thinkpad from IBM was also made in China. 

Laptops are now mostly made by third party contract manufacturers, just like Apple doesn't make anything in house and all are outsourced to Foxconn. So what you are implying with the Made in China statements is not correct.

Regarding the hdd getting damaged by the motherboard is a plausible explanation. 

Obviously, you have been using mostly aftermarket hdd, which doesn't support the full APS command. So the problem could be somehwere there. Or simply the actual laptop motherboard is suffering from a glitch. 

Let the technician change your motherboard, and how it goes there. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
hravji

I have the identical issues, my T61 was also purchased on June 16 2008..I have replaced 3 hard drives and recently the motherboard has given up all together.

I'm wondering if this is a common issue and its part of a bad batch delivered to customers !!  I sent the first one back, it had faulty motherboard.

Have you had any feedback from anyone on this issue ? Out of the 14 months, I have only four month of use from my laptop.

lead_org

is the oem hdd or aftermarket hdd?

Regards,

Jin Li

What's DOS?
hravji

The drives are all directly from Lenovo.

lead_org

i have heard several cases from my company's it support, but usually it happens with aftermarket hdd. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Guru
hausman

> i have heard several cases from my company's it support, but usually it happens with aftermarket hdd.

OTOH I have a third-party external USB enclosure that seems to cause HDs to fail. When I put a known good drive in it, the drive works fine for a few days, then dies.

Also, I put a new Seagate in it. The drive died. Seagate replaced that drive. The new drive died. Seagate replaced it again. I put that drive in a different enclosure. It's been working fine since. Needless to say, I no longer use the bad enclosure :smileysad:

i am pretty sure the hdd was dead, but i didn't follow it up with the IT on this, since i am not interested (they don't know what caused, only the end effect) and none of my laptops exhibited anything like that. 

Regards,

Jin Li