Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
Kervin

T61 doesn't recognize Sunix E-SATA Express Card (at all)

[ Edited ]

Hi there!

I've bought a Sunix E-sata Express Card:

http://www.sunix.com.tw/it/en/Product_Detail.php?cate=2&class_a_id=239&sid=501

so I can hook up my external drive using E-sata.

The problem is that my T61 doesn't recognize the Express card when I plug it in. The "Found new hardware wizard" doesn't pop up, it doesn't even show up in the Device Manager. The only thing I can notice is that the two LED lights on the express card lights up in red when it's plugged in. I suppose they're supposed to be green or something (?). Here's a picture:

http://www.geocities.com/trankervin/expresscard.jpg

I've tried to go to Windows Update and see if there was any updates, installed some security updates, rebooted, but still couldn't recognize the express card. I've also downloaded the drivers from Sunix website, but when I start the installation it says "No JRAID SCSI adapter found! Setup will be terminated!". Maybe the card is faulty?

Anybody have any suggestion on what to do here? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2.0 Ghz

2 GB RAM (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667Mhz

nVidia Quadro NVS 140M 128 MB

120 GB 5400 RPM HDD, Windows XP Pro.

Message Edited by Kervin on 09-17-2008 07:57 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del

Re: T61 doesn't recognize Sunix E-SATA Express Card (at all)

Hello.

I would say this issue is related to a BIOS problem. 

It is interesting that your Controller is not recognized at al. I own a Sil3132 based E-SATA Controller that is recognized under Windows, but will fail to initialize at boot (see related forum topic here)

I guess we need to open a "fix the sata-pc-card issue request" to collect issues with e-sata cards on Thinkpads.

Serial Port
Kervin

[ Edited ]

Hi harkman, thanks for your reply.

Actually, I returned the express card to my store where I bought it and they kindly checked if there was any problems with it on their laptop. It was working ok on their laptop, but they found that one of the slots were faulty so they gave me a new copy. And the weird thing is, the new copy was recognized by my Thinkpad and has been working okay. So the problem was fixed in that way.

Of course, the issue still remains that the first copy I got didn't work on my Thinkpad, but worked on the store laptop... and that could possibly be something with the Thinkpad's BIOS as you say.

Message Edited by Kervin on 12-19-2008 02:53 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del

Hi Kervin,

Yes, as I wrote, I checked the card on 3 other laptops.

I have a Question to you. Can you boot from any device connected to your new card? Or if you connect a hard drive to the controller and enter the Thinkpad BIOS can you see the connected drive in the boot device selection?

Thanks in advance.

Serial Port
Kervin

[ Edited ]
My Thinkpad's in for repair at the moment (defect nvidia chipset), I'll check it for you as soon as I get it back.
Message Edited by Kervin on 12-19-2008 03:04 PM
Serial Port
Kervin

I'm not sure if I checked at the right place, but I looked at "Startup". And in the list I could see that ATA HDD1 was included (this is not the drive installed in the laptop, that showed up as Fujitsu). But ATA HDD1 still showed up even if I turned off the external E-SATA drive...

So, not sure.

Ctrl-Alt-Del

Hi. Great to see you got your device back from repair :smileyhappy: and thanks for your investigation.

The Device should show up as a scsi  AFAIK. Did you try the F12 key on boot? There you should see all bootable devices too.

Maybe the e-sata drive shows up as a disabled device in the "Startup" bios menu.

Wish you a happy new year.

Serial Port
Kervin

Hi again!

I checked what you said and there is nothing that shows up as scsi, nothing else that would come close to being the e-sata drive either. The F12bootable device list show 1.dvd-drive 2. internal harddrive 3. PCI Lan. And in BIOS"Startup > Boot" show "ATA HDD2" and "ATA CD1" in "Not included".

Happy New Year!