Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
armorlord

T61 nvidia problem...

Hello everybody,

My t61 recently crashed with all the symptoms pointing to the video card problem- black screen on startup, all removeable components work fine.

Since my warranty went out a long time ago, I decided to conduct some basic gutting and opened up the main frame and the keyboard. When starting the computer up, I noticed that the fan was spinnning for a very short time (about 3 seconds) then stopping.

Would that be the cause of why my computer won't boot? will I have to replace the fan completely or is it another problem? I also don't fully understand the problem relating to the graphics card.. does it fail completely or overheat and shuts down?  if it's the latter I can build a serious cooling system

Blue Screen Again
navicy

Re: T61 nvidia problem...

Do your T61 have one long and two short beep on startup? As I know, if this caused by the video card. it should have beep alarm.  If your video card was broken, it is normal that the fan was spinnning for a very short time then stopping. Because when the system boot detect the broken video card, the power will lost after the beep alarm and the system boot will hang up. So you will see the fan is spinning a short time and stop.

Paper Tape
armorlord

There are no beeps coming from the computer..

I'm aware that the system hangs, it is probably due to the video card, but it's wierd to not hear any sound.

Also, external monitor doesn't display anything and I tried removing the cmos battery, to no avail.

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

Remove all the RAM from the machine, and power it on. Does it beep?

As for the GPU failure, it's basically caused by defective chip that detiriorates from the inside, nothing to do with overheating in the conventional sense.

You may want to start looking for an Intel-based T61 board, or a new laptop altogether.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Bit Torrent
TuuS

Although the descrete nVidia graphics is sometimes referred to as a "card" on this model it's actually an integrated part of the system board, so there is no way for a used (or field tech) to replace the graphics. A system board replacement is the prescribed fix. 

If it's out of warranty, then the most cost effective way to fix it would be to swap a used system board. Many prefer doing an Intel conversion. This is probably the most reliable optoin, but if you have the 15.4" screen, the Intel boards aren't common. Installing a good used nVidia board is another option, as long as you make sure your fan and heatsink are kept clean and is properly seated on the Cpu and Gpu chips, and has good airflow. 

Finding a used T61 with the updated GPU is also possible, but they are very rare, and if the seller understands how rare the unit is, they won't sell it cheap, but you could get lucky if you're willing to look.

Good luck, and if you need help getting the parts, or how to do the repairs, feel free to message me. I'm also looking for some failed units to use for photographs in preparing repair guides. If you decide not to repair it, I could make good use of it.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Paper Tape
armorlord

1. I removed the RAM and infact the computer does give off the 1-3-3-1 beeps indicating the RAM issue.

2. I have the 15.4" model and there really aren't that many intel motherboards for it.

I did find some on ebay but new ones cost around 400$ which is way more than I'm willing to spend on the machine. I'm skeptical at best about the ones that price under 100.

As the computer is infact out of warranty I don't have many options with it....

Fanfold Paper
wsko

[ Edited ]

Seems like I am not alone.  The nvidia graphics card of my 14 inch T61 also broke 3 days ago while the computer was idling and playing music in the background.  The display started displaying random shades of color, and stayed that way ever since.  When plugged into an external monitor, the same random shades of color appear.  I know it's the graphics card problem because the same random shades of color appear during BIOS POST, and the computer can boot into Windows just fine (I can hear the Windows startup sound).  

My laptop is also out of warranty.  Would getting the Advanced Dock paired with an external graphics card help revitalize the computer?  

Also, is Lenovo still replacing the defective nvidia GPUs?  There was a recall on defective nvidia GPUs about 2 years ago.    I wonder if Lenovo is still replacing them out of warranty or not.  I guess we are both lucky/unlucky that our defective GPUs lasted so long before they quit.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

[ Edited ]

wsko wrote:

Seems like I am not alone.  The nvidia graphics card of my 14 inch T61 also broke 3 days ago while the computer was idling and playing music in the background.  The display started displaying random shades of color, and stayed that way ever since.  When plugged into an external monitor, the same random shades of color appear.  I know it's the graphics card problem because the same random shades of color appear during BIOS POST, and the computer can boot into Windows just fine (I can hear the Windows startup sound).  

My laptop is also out of warranty.  Would getting the Advanced Dock paired with an external graphics card help revitalize the computer?  

Also, is Lenovo still replacing the defective nvidia GPUs?  There was a recall on defective nvidia GPUs about 2 years ago.    I wonder if Lenovo is still replacing them out of warranty or not.  I guess we are both lucky/unlucky that our defective GPUs lasted so long before they quit.

Sounds like you definitely have a failed GPU. Some seem to fail and allow boot, with graphic artifacts, and some fail to boot completely. There is no solution short of replacing the motherboard, or repairing it. I recommend against repairing because any attempt to resolder the chip won't fix it's internal flaws. The cheapest alternative would be to get a good used board, either another nvidia that hasn't failed, or do an Intel conversion. The Intel boards are more reliable, but won't have the same graphics capabilities. That is probably a moot point since most recent 3D games won't run on either intel or nvidia systems.

I'm preparing guides on fixing these units, if you need help, feel free to ask. I'm also looking for some failed units to use in preparation of the guides, if you don't intend to fix it, I might be able to use is.

I may also be able to help you locate the parts you need to repair it.

ps. the "post-warranty" repairs that were done by lenovo ended many months ago. I think your chances of pursuing that are nil. If your warranty recently expired, you can look into extending it, some have suggested  that as an option, but I'm not sure if buying a warranty would cover a pre-existing condition. It might work, but definitely "questionable" as to being legal in my mind.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
What's DOS?
rayjoy

I'm having a similar issue.  My video appears to be overheating on my t61 8892, as indicated by the error message .  I'm getting a blue screen and shut down.  Someone suggested I use compressed air to "clean" any dust, but to make sure you're not blowing it into the machine.  Are you familiar with this maintenance?  Do you suggest it?  Without opening it up, how could I use compressed air without blowing anyting into the machine?  Thanks  rj

Bit Torrent
TuuS

If you have an nVidia board and it's overheating, don't try to do this half way, or you could lose your board. Open it up, clean it out, remove the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste. This should keep it cool assuming all your hardware is good. 

You only talking about a few dollars in materials and an hour or less work, but if you let the board get fried, it's a $600 item and they aren't easy to find for that model, but if all you want to do is blow it out, then you can blow air in the heat ducks, they are in the left rear corner, intake is in the back, exhaust on the side, just use a short burst so you don't over-rev your fan.