Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ag
Paper Tape
ag

T61 nvidia problems

Hi All,

A few sessions ago, I started getting some random multi-color pixels on the screen at boot.  During some boots, I'd get colored patterns on the screen briefly.  Then, last night, the machine froze on me.  It was late so I just powered down and went to bed.

This morning, the T61 would not competely boot into Linux or Windows.  After multiple attempts on both operating systems, I went into the Linux boot menu and booted up in safe video (lo-res) mode.  It's been operating over 6 hours in this mode ok.

I'm thinking the Nvidia 140 card is bad.  Is this something I could replace myself or is this a depot-only repair?

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: T61 nvidia problems

Hi,

Sorry you're having this trouble, it is a well known issue. Unfortunately the only real solution is to replace the system board. 

If you have a warranty on the unit, then send it in ASAP, Lenovo will replace your board. If the unit is out of warranty, then I may be able to help you with either a used board, or a reasonably priced replacement laptop. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss your alternatives.

I have a guide I'm designing to deal with this specific problem, since the cost to replace a board from Lenovo is about $575, which is more then the units resale value. Don't feel all is lost though, there are less costly aoternatives and the real beauty of a thinkpad is the availability of replacement parts. 

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)