Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
dansumption
Accepted Solution

T61 powers up for a few seconds then dies

Last night, I started to experience a problem with my T61 (model 7664 - 14.1" widescreen). I was working on it when it completely lost power - switched off and all of the lights, including the mains light, went off.

I unplugged it, removed the battery, and then plugged it in again - the mains light came back on, but when I tried switching it back on then within less than a second everything went dead again.

I tried this a few more times - it doesn't seem to "forget" the fault condition until I completely remove power, i.e. unplug the machine and remove the battery. Once I have done that, I can start it up again, either with mains power or with battery only, but it soon dies again. The length of time it take to fail varies - the longest so far has been about 15 seconds, i.e. it got part way through booting into Windows before shutting down. But usually, the lights only go on for less than a second before everything stops.

Can anyone suggest what the problem may be or how I investigate further?

Thanks,
Dan Sumption

Agotthelf
Topics: 137
Kudos: 241
Solutions: 182

Re: T61 powers up for a few seconds then dies

Hello dansumption,

which do you have exactly? model 7664 -???. Do you see the bios screen?

Do you have an Nvidia gpu inside?

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Ctrl-Alt-Del
dansumption

[ Edited ]

Model is 764-R64G S/N xxxxxxx

It does have an Nvidia GPU.

I sometimes see the BIOS screen, but sometimes it fails before the screen appears.

moderator note: serial removed

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,234
Solutions: 1,324

Please remove your serial number from view.

I think you should call Lenovo warranty support.

Also, did you spill any liquid on the laptop?

Most likely you would need a new motherboard. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
dansumption

I think it's out of warranty. Where can I get a new motherboard from?

I had a very similar problem twice, about a year ago, when it was under warranty. Both times I sent it back to base: the first time, I think they did replace the motherboard. The second time, they said there was nothing wrong with it, and it's been fine ever since, until now.

I have never spilt anything on it. I have recently (about 2 weeks ago) had to replace the fan, as the old one was making a terrible noise and it kept saying "fan error" when I switched it on.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,234
Solutions: 1,324

Lenovo is currently offering out of warranty motherboard replacement for T61 with GPU issues and there is a possibility that for issues other than GPU to purchase post warranty warranty service.

But in both cases you would need to speak to Lenovo warranty support (for free GPU related motherboard replacement) or Lenovo customer support (to purchase post warranty warranty service). 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
cyclone_p

Did you ever get this resolved???

I am facing a similar problem.

I have a Leveno T61p. I bought it in August 2007.

Everytime I boot it, it runs for a few minutes trying to boot and then it shutsdown completely (no beeps nothing). Once it does that, I can't seem to boot it up again using the power button, unless I were to take the power cord and the battery out and plugged both or one of them back in.

It then starts up for a few minutes and then goes through the same cycle as described above.

It's frustrating because I can't even get it to boot up to the diagnostics partition to try and see what's wrong.

It is out of warranty. I had sent it in to Lenovo last year (cost me $400) and they apparently replaced the motherboard. It worked fine for a couple of months and then started having problems again.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this will be appreciated.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
dansumption

I did get it resolved - turns out it was still under warranty (I hadn't even realised), Lenovo took it in & (I think) replaced the motherboard.

What's DOS?
TheMasterGL16

I'm having the same problem, I bought my computer refurbished and I'm almost positive they won't take it.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Blue Screen Again
cyclone_p

Not sure what was wrong. But I took it to a local repair shop. Paid $45 and they cleaned up the hardware and told me that it was working fine. They also told me to run a voltage  control program on it. I forgot the name. However, I think it was related to some heat sink issues of the microprocessor that were fixed when the local repair shop cleaned my computer. Bottom line I am not facing that issue anymore.